[REMOVE ADS]

Favourite Bowie Album...

Whats your favourite David Bowie album ? mine would be Hunky Dory or Ziggy Stardust..I love that period of his work..Anyone like Young Americans LP..Fascination is a great track off that..Ive never heard much of Low..Diamound Dogs is a bit hard for me prefer his acoustic stuff..look forward to your thoughts Cheers...

My choice would be "Young Americans."
    Last edited by GeeTee(HPK); 01-26-2011 at 01:43 PM.

lets dance the only lp i really liked,young americans was ok imo,along with singles space oddity,ashes to ashes, fame and golden years,which i bought

that young americans lp cover was horrible,i hated it.

Ground Control to Major Tom!!! Forget Fame and Young Americans although I LOVE Modern Love and China Girl. Loved the new Bowie Era but my thoughts are the Ziggy Stardust Moments! Anybody like Suffragette City [[sp?) Beyonce - Sasha Fierce Garth Brooks -Chris Gaines --yuck! Nobody did an alter ego or character in music better than David Bowie.
    His theatrics, storylines and voice speak for themselves. I think the only other person that could have done this HAD he done it would have been Freddie Mercury.

The thin White Duke got me when he wrote All the Young Dudes by Mott the Hoople one of my favorite songs. Bowie has reinvented himself and I have much more respect for a reinvention of his doing than I do a Madonna.

Suffragette is a wicked jam but its Moonage Daydream that does it for me..perhaps the greatest song he wrote along with quicksand and Ashes To Ashes,,Ronsons guitar work is outstanding Im with you Steph i prefer that period more than the others..the doom at the begining of Ziggy Lp as Five Years reaches it momentum..I dont know why but in some regards the whole Ziggy style of singing reminds me of latter day Garland..its pitched the same way she would hold a note..I didnt have the best education but theres a name for that style of phrasing..it goes beyound pop or rock..for lack of a better word ..Operatic..which is something he shared with Mercury..its the same style as Richard Obrien wrote for Rocky Horror..and Supertramp and Roxy Music possess...its tender,vulnerable and yet impersonal at the same time...
    When i was a small boy my brother would play Hunky Dory and even at an early age I was hooked by the melodies..its a very sing song LP..Life On Mars is another classic I remember being struck by the words "Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow.." that always puzzled me..

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee[[HPK) View Post
    My choice would be "Young Americans."
    Yup!

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by olamaebarto View Post
    Yup!

Look who's singing back up.

Right now, my favorite Bowie album is The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

I had knew of Bowie in the Ziggy days but although I listened to "Rock" as well as all sorts of other music ,my first love is Soul/R&B. Up until the "Young Americans" lp and "Fame" came out ,D.B. was just in that "Rock" place of that type that I liked ,lets say they was alright . But with "Young Americans" and "Fame" , I saw he was going in a different direction ,but more-so , I scenced some Soul -Chocolate Essence , the real deal ,other than just Black backgound singers , they had that Funky sound and timing that tingled my R&B tooth. I thought I had heard something familiar in the Y.A. tracks that I liked but couldn't put my finger on it. I was a D.J. at the time and at Parties that had mixed B,W,L, or B.L. patrons , they loved "Y.A." ,[[ALLLLLLLLLLL RIIIIIIIIIGHTTTTTTT!!!!!!) ,hands up in the air!! [[ahh those days!). "FAME" came out in the "DISCO" era and still wound up being a Funky raw Rock track.
    Well later I found out that that voice and style I heard was from a guy whose 2 albums I had bought in the Village , named LUTHER. The reason I bought them was because of the back up singers and quality of the personell listed on the albums.
    Well the rest is history for "Luther" , and eventually I have gone back to review D.B.'s work prior to Y.A. and I see that period in a different light now and because of that I can understand why some may not feel the same about Y.A. ,etc. He went to a place that you all didn't see him in ,just as he did for me. Only it was a fresh surprise for me.
    It's amazing in hindsight , how those recordings in that time ,with those people inter-acting , gave another direction to D.B. and was a stepping stone for another icon that was Luther Vandross.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Right now, my favorite Bowie album is The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.
    Classic and Flawless albums. - My favorite Bowie song is PUTTIN OUT FIRE from CAT PEOPLE>

I attended a David Bowie concert once. It was during his Serious Moonlight tour, just after he'd had hits with Let's Dance, China Girl and Modern Love so it was sometime in the early 1980s. I went with a group of friends from college. We were all into music and used to have these listening parties where we listened to everything. You had to have an open mind and whatever recording was placed on the turntable, you had to listen before you formed an opinion. We learned a lot and exposed each other to Soul, New Wave, Punk, Rock and so on. Those were fun times.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 01-27-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Until the early 90s, I was only somewhat familiar with "Young Americans" In the CD age, I have gotten that, plus "Station To Station", and "Aladdin Sane", my current favorite. I also have "Let's Dance", but only like the hit singles from it. I have "Tonight" but can't get past the first two songs. Then I have two or three comps on CD.

Anyone remember when he did Soul Train in 1975? I couldn't believe it when I saw it!
    Last edited by soulster; 01-27-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: I had to correct one album title

I have enjoyed most of David Bowie's work over the years. "Station To Station" has to be one of the all time greats when it comes to albums from that period. IMHO some brilliant work by everyone involved. "Golden Years" and "Young Americans" were very good and I played "David Live" recorded in Philadelphia to death. He had the ability to attract great talent around him and that just made him be even better.

Penny

Aladdin Sane
    Diamond Dogs
    David Live
    Young Americans

topdiva1 Guest
    Diamond Dogs is KILLER!!!!

I have a brother who was crazy on him but I couldn't see the appeal. But I did buy a 45 of his but didn't buy any album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWoT9...eature=related

It's interesting that he has a lot of SDF fans.

Give me either Young Americans or Scary Monsters.

Another David Bowie Fan, here! My favorite albums are:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
    Aladdin Sane
    Young Americans
    Station To Station
    Tonight
    The Next Day

I never got into his late 70s punk period, or most of anything past the mid-80s, except for his latest album.

Man Who Sold The World
    Ziggy Stardust
    Young Americans
    Station To Station
    Bowie used to come to Amsterdam quite often in the 80's and visited the clubs there.
    I was a dj then and one night he came in just after opening with a famous Dutch photographer. The club was still empty at that hour. Specially for him I played Lust For life by Iggy Pop which he had produced and was becoming a big hit in Holland then. After 30 minutes he left the club, but I saw him again on a busy friday night.