[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My World Is Empty Withougt You relabeled Diana Ross instead of The Supremes.

I often wondered would it have been possible for Motown to release the single My World Is Empty Without You as a Diana Ross solo record instead of it being labeled as The Supremes, we now know that Mary and Flo are on the track but the original pressing is a song that has hardly any vocals behind Diana, and I wondered what would have happened if the record was released as a solo track for Diana, and then have her return to the group for the subsequent release would it have been as successful, around this time The Four Seasons' Frankie Valli started releasing singles on his own while leading the group in subsequent singles.d

Even back in the day, I thought of "My World Is Empty Without You" as Diana Ross's first solo record. It was a huge transitional record for the Supremes as a group...in their sound [[really featuring only Diana) and their new more "mature" and "glossy/high fashion" look.

revvy Guest
    Thank God for this performance on Ed Sullivan which re-solidified them as a group. I have a hunch MWIEWYB was a test or experiment on Berry Gordy/Motown's part to see how or if Diana would sell on her own with just her voice WAY out in front. I remember reading Florence was PISSED when she heard the final mix of the song with Mary and her barely audible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMzApa8wLB4

This clip is one of the Supremes' best TV performances in my opinion. Remember, this was one of the first color TV performances of the group. Flo is happy and rockin' that Sassoon wig, Mary has the dance moves down perfectly and Diana is doin' what she does best: workin' that CHARISMA!
    Last edited by revvy; 05-30-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Was it Berry or was it HDH? Done by HDH but approved by Berry?

How do we know Mary & Flo are on this record? The sound of the Supremes behind Diana Ross is now so blurred. The sound we knew as the Supremes was often the Andantes or very fluffed with the Andantes.

What made them 'The Supremes' was the concerts and the look. On record, it was Diana Ross.

I wish that before those that know are gone, we could have a definitive list of all the Supremes, Vandellas, Marvelettes and Four Tops songs with who was on background ~ free from the drama that is inherent for some in any admission Diana sang alone on a lot of those songs without any Supremes.

I recall Mary Brewster says she could pick Mary Wilson's voice out of anywhere; she should start making the list.

I heard there were more Stop in the Name of Love 45 style admissions coming but they didn't make them because of the huge distress it caused amongst the hardcore fans.

How do we know Mary & Flo are on this record? The sound of the Supremes behind Diana Ross is now so blurred. The sound we knew as the Supremes was often the Andantes or very fluffed with the Andantes.

Well there is only one answer to that one listen to The Supremes Reflections The Definitive Performances track #8 and pay attention to the script on the screen, Ross, Wilson, and Ballard, but in Diana's defense i think the record would have worked had it been labele MWIEWY, by Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I often wondered would it have been possible for Motown to release the single My World Is Empty Without You as a Diana Ross solo record instead of it being labeled as The Supremes, we now know that Mary and Flo are on the track but the original pressing is a song that has hardly any vocals behind Diana, and I wondered what would have happened if the record was released as a solo track for Diana, and then have her return to the group for the subsequent release would it have been as successful, around this time The Four Seasons' Frankie Valli started releasing singles on his own while leading the group in subsequent singles.d
    To the public it would have been like......."Diana Who?"

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Was it Berry or was it HDH? Done by HDH but approved by Berry?

How do we know Mary & Flo are on this record?
    Because we are not stupid. We hear them on it, especially the new mixes that have replace the old version on oldies radio.

smark21 Guest
    As I posted in the Andrews Sisters thread, My World is one Supremes song, due to the lyrics, in which it makes absolutely perfect sense for the background vocals to be muted. I ‘m not a big fan of the performance clips from a song integrity stand point. How can the girl’s world be empty when the background singers are so loud? The performance clips turn the song into just another showtune. But the single as arranged and recorded is a work of art. The muted background enhances the drama and emotion of the lyrics and adds a haunting, ambient quality to the song. And of course the instrumentation and Diana’s lead vocal are also key in putting the song across. It’s one of HDH’s best productions and song writing efforts and it’s no wonder both Diana and Mary feature this song in their live shows to this day.

To the public, it would been like......"Diana Who?"

Ridiculous. By 1966 the general population knew who Diana was and her role in the group. The fans knew Flo and Mary. The general public wasn't so sure

SupremeBoy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    To the public, it would been like......"Diana Who?"
    What a laughable, mis-guided and extremely delusional post. Thanks marv2 for staying true to form...but you are dead wrong.

I am no fan of the live arrangements used on the majority of The Supremes' hit records when they performed live. They turned great pop records into Vegas kitsch with blaring horns where there shouldn't be and speeding up melancholy, soulful records like MWIEWY into a "happy-go-lucky" mess of a song. The Sullivan performance is a great example: There they are, all three singing MWIEWY with colgate grins plastered on their faces, swinging their arms and their hips in wild abandon....so inappropriate for this song...it wasn't a dance song...it was a BALLAD!

By this point it didn't matter who sang backup...Diana's voice sold the records. As a unit it was important for "the look" and the live performances but the only voice that mattered on the actual records was Diana Ross.
    Last edited by SupremeBoy; 05-30-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Ridiculous. By 1966 the general population knew who Diana was and her role in the group. The fans knew Flo and Mary. The general public wasn't so sure
    No, what's ridiculous is your response! I was around unfortunately in 1966 and the general public outside of Detroit did not readily know Diana Ross as a singular entity. That is why Berry would not risk her going solo at that time and for another several years. The public were no more sure of Diane in 1966 than they were of Mary and Florence. They were known collectively as "The Supremes" by everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by SupremeBoy View Post
    What a laughable, mis-guided and extremely delusional post. Thanks marv2 for staying true to form...but you are dead wrong.

I am no fan of the live arrangements used on the majority of The Supremes' hit records when they performed live. They turned great pop records into Vegas kitsch with blaring horns where there shouldn't be and speeding up melancholy, soulful records like MWIEWY into a "happy-go-lucky" mess of a song. The Sullivan performance is a great example: There they are, all three singing MWIEWY with colgate grins plastered on their faces, swinging their arms and their hips in wild abandon....so inappropriate for this song...it wasn't a dance song...it was a BALLAD!

By this point it didn't matter who sang backup...Diana's voice sold the records. As a unit it was important for "the look" and the live performances but the only voice that mattered on the actual records was Diana Ross.
    Look boy, the only thing delusional is your fantasy of Diana Ross being well known enough to use her own name to promote product in 1966.

It was HDH's productions that sold the records along with Motown and the Supremes marketing efforts. Diane's voice was on a ton of flops before HDH took over. FACT!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-30-2013 at 04:59 PM.

SupremeBoy Guest
    It's okay marv2 - we all know that your mission in life is to discredit Miss Diana Ross every chance you get.

You want to know what is also FACT. That regardless of what was printed on the label, the public has been buying Diana Ross solo records long before she officially left the group.

Very enjoyable and perceptive posts from Smark and SupremeBoy here regarding the recording and the performance of the song. Very pointed and direct, with keen observations. Great reading.

I've always enjoyed this pre-fab "reunion" video of this superb HDH composition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwkIh6cY7k

Mary's take on it seems perfect to me. Although I pretty much like any version of this superlative tune. Always been crazy for the original, of course.

1. Quote Originally Posted by SupremeBoy View Post
      It's okay marv2 - we all know that your mission in life is to discredit Miss Diana Ross every chance you get.

You want to know what is also FACT. That regardless of what was printed on the label, the public has been buying Diana Ross solo records long before she officially left the group.
    I hate when my posts about certain records turn into chop liver the same thing with Early Morning Love, but I was jut curious as to if or when the record MWIEWY had been released as a Diana Ross single would it have caught on as a Ross single as opposed to the song being labeled a Supremes song which of course became a #5 hit. Would the song survived billed as Diana Ross.

[LIST=1][*]

I hate when my posts about certain records turn into chop liver the same thing with Early Morning Love, but I was jut curious as to if or when the record MWIEWY had been released as a Diana Ross single would it have caught on as a Ross single as opposed to the song being labeled a Supremes song which of course became a #5 hit. Would the song survived billed as Diana Ross.
    Yeah, but you HAD to know this would happen, no? Why ask hypotheticals that could never be answered and only lead to the kind of childishness that we see below? How could we ever know the answer to the My World question?

Your Early Morning Love thread, to the contrary, was not provocative, yet the usual suspects went there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Yeah, but you HAD to know this would happen, no? Why ask hypotheticals that could never be answered and only lead to the kind of childishness that we see below? How could we ever know the answer to the My World question?

Your Early Morning Love thread, to the contrary, was not provocative, yet the usual suspects went there anyway.
    I agree thanxal. The Diane lovers would say off course it would have been a hit and the Mary lovers would say the song need Mary and the Flo lovers would say the song had to have Flo on it. For Frances to ask why her post turn to chop liver is naive to put it mildly.

Asking a hypothetical question about a SUPREMES hit from darned near 50 years ago has only one place to go and that is south.

Roberta

If that's true, then why hasn't she sold any in the last 30 years? It was HDH and any other laborous producer or writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Very enjoyable and perceptive posts from Smark and SupremeBoy here regarding the recording and the performance of the song. Very pointed and direct, with keen observations. Great reading.

I've always enjoyed this pre-fab "reunion" video of this superb HDH composition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwkIh6cY7k

Mary's take on it seems perfect to me. Although I pretty much like any version of this superlative tune. Always been crazy for the original, of course.
    Yeah, I like the way Mary does it solo:

Well this is what happens to a star-crossed fan whose idol had him ejected from a concert for snapping photos in her face while performing. He goes after her backing vocalist.

I was around in 1966 and Diana Ross was already being singled out, DJs would call her name often and she was clearly the lead singer of the group and was the one interviewers usually went to first. And they did it by name. My parents knew which one was Diana and they were not fans, they tolerated my interest in the group. And I lived in Louisiana, quite far away from Detroit and every one in my school knew who Diana Ross was. And they still know who she is. Nothing Marv posts is ever based in fact, it's based on the bias of elevating Mary Wilson to whom he longs for attention. Diana Ross is and was the star of the Supremes, Mary herself has said this, and is the one the public knows by name and face. Yes, she has recorded and released a lot of flops, but Mary has never released a hit

Well this is what happens to a star-crossed fan whose idol had him ejected from a concert for snapping photos in her face while performing. He goes after her backing vocalist.
    Star crossed fan my ass! I have a business to run so i have limited time. You just don't know what your are talking about as usual. Some expert! I don't understand the rest of what the Hell you are talking about, but oh well..........have a nice evening.

Here is the song as recorded by The Supremes Mary, Diane and Flo. The originally released version with the vocal harmonies turned down was labeled "the Supremes". Had it been labeled, "Diana Ross", everyone would have just thought it sounded like the Supremes!

Play this version at any Old School Party today and I can promise you no one would have a problem with it, because they will not remember the original version that was on the radio in 1966! Geez! LOL!

Last edited by marv2; 05-30-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Y'all just can't enjoy the damn song without getting into petty arguments?

Yeah some ratchet mess was done in the Cindy Birdsong thread [[which I admitted had passed its due date thanks to us posting crazy nonsense) but people still wanna get all pissy about what was going on 50 years ago that no one had control of except the powers-that-were-Motown.

smark21 Guest
    I agree with Supremeboy that the tv performances of My World are very Vegasy. From a razzle dazzle show biz perspective, they’re fun performances by and large, but as performances of the SONG, they’re travesties with the smiling and the arm swaying and the dancing.

I don’t completely agree with Supremeboy that it’s Diana Ross voice only that sold the Supremes hits. Maybe a musically naïve or unsophisticated listener/consumer can only cite the voice as that’s the only part of the song they can understand and comprehend. But the arrangements and instrumentation and the words and music of the song have to be appealing as well to get that purchase, not just the lead vocal, even if the naïve listener/consumer doesn’t consciously hear it.

Also, I wouldn’t call the Supremes version of My World a ballad. It’s fairly upbeat musically, like pretty much all of the Supremes A sides in the 60s. It’s not a stomper like some, but it’s not languid either, especially that Jamerson bass line and the sax solo. The Scherrie Payne and the 70s Supremes/FLOS version of My World, now that’s a ballad.

It was a combination of:
    HDH
    The Funk Brothers
    The Detroit Symphony
    The original Supremes themselves [[DMF)

End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It was a combination of:
    HDH
    The Funk Brothers
    The Detroit Symphony
    The original Supremes themselves [[DMF)

End of story.
    I am into total agreement here!!!!

It was a very haunting sexy different kind of song. I never really thought about it being a solo number but I could hear the backgrounds ok.

Cool

[QUOTE=BayouMotownMan;168683]Well this is what happens to a star-crossed fan whose idol had him ejected from a concert for snapping photos in her face while performing. He goes after her backing vocalist.

I was around in 1966 and Diana Ross was already being singled out, DJs would call her name often and she was clearly the lead singer of the group and was the one interviewers usually went to first. And they did it by name. My parents knew which one was Diana and they were not fans, they tolerated my interest in the group. And I lived in Louisiana, quite far away from Detroit and every one in my school knew who Diana Ross was. And they still know who she is. Nothing Marv posts is ever based in fact, it's based on the bias of elevating Mary Wilson to whom he longs for attention. Diana Ross is and was the star of the Supremes, Mary herself has said this, and is the one the public knows by name and face. Yes, she has recorded and released a lot of flops, but Mary has never released a hit[/QUOTE

Althogh this post is not about Mary having a hit record she infact did have a hit record on the song "Floy Joy" didn't it go top 20 Jean or no Jean Mary split the lead and it was a hit now back to the post at hand
    ]
    My World Is Empty as a Supremes record or A Diana ross record [[If you vote for it has a Ross record it would have to have been a top 10 entry under her name alone.)

Vote Here Ross or Supremes as a group
    Last edited by franjoy56; 05-30-2013 at 10:46 PM.

alexgarret Guest
    Marv2 - are you DetroitLives313 on YouTube?

alexgarret Guest
    Well you do have a business to run...........

Quote Originally Posted by alexgarret View Post
    Well you do have a business to run...........
    Yes, DetroitLives and there have been more, most banned. It's quite a business.

This is probably one of the few sites he's allowed to post on which is a mystery to all of us. He can't express himself without spewing obscenties. That cuts into his so-called "insider knowledge" assertions and reveals the disturbed soul within

supremester Guest
    I couldn't agree more. It's an exquisite production from start to finish. Lyric, melody, sparse track and Ross' virtuoso vocal. I will admit that I like the fuller version also. I LIKE hearing Mary and Flo [[if its Flo) on it, but, it sounded SO cool on the radio in 1965. It was ballsy in 1965 for HDH to put out a record like this, but it worked. Live? Never liked it near as much on TV back in the day, as the mood was gone. But sometimes, especially a few years ago, Miss Ross will get fierce into the song and tear it up, Love Child also. Spine tingling when it happens. After 40 years of singing it at double time, it must be hard to get back the original intent of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    As I posted in the Andrews Sisters thread, My World is one Supremes song, due to the lyrics, in which it makes absolutely perfect sense for the background vocals to be muted. I ‘m not a big fan of the performance clips from a song integrity stand point. How can the girl’s world be empty when the background singers are so loud? The performance clips turn the song into just another showtune. But the single as arranged and recorded is a work of art. The muted background enhances the drama and emotion of the lyrics and adds a haunting, ambient quality to the song. And of course the instrumentation and Diana’s lead vocal are also key in putting the song across. It’s one of HDH’s best productions and song writing efforts and it’s no wonder both Diana and Mary feature this song in their live shows to this day.

supremester Guest
    I think it would have hit just as hard. People didn't buy 45's solely because of who did them. They bought the SOUND. No one knew who The Supremes, Tempts, Tops, Toys, Stones, Pips were until they had a hit. They had hits as unknowns. Diana Ross' name was getting out there but most didn't know who she was. They WOULD have known as DJ's would have into'd the song with who she was. Bottom line: it wouldn't have mattered one whit. Someday would have sold as a solo, Up The ladder sold without Ross. People buy the sound. Period.

[LIST=1][*]

supremester Guest
    it's funny, but I just realized that I think of Flo Joy and the other JMC mid-teen 45's as a hit - not a big it, but a hit - yet, Ross songs that chart equally or higher I don't count as hits like Remember Me or Special Part Of Me. Anyway, just a thought.

MYIEWY would def have hit as Diana Ross

[QUOTE=franjoy56;168750]

I was around in 1966 and Diana Ross was already being singled out, DJs would call her name often and she was clearly the lead singer of the group and was the one interviewers usually went to first. And they did it by name. My parents knew which one was Diana and they were not fans, they tolerated my interest in the group. And I lived in Louisiana, quite far away from Detroit and every one in my school knew who Diana Ross was. And they still know who she is. Nothing Marv posts is ever based in fact, it's based on the bias of elevating Mary Wilson to whom he longs for attention. Diana Ross is and was the star of the Supremes, Mary herself has said this, and is the one the public knows by name and face. Yes, she has recorded and released a lot of flops, but Mary has never released a hit[/QUOTE

Althogh this post is not about Mary having a hit record she infact did have a hit record on the song "Floy Joy" didn't it go top 20 Jean or no Jean Mary split the lead and it was a hit now back to the post at hand
    ]
    My World Is Empty as a Supremes record or A Diana ross record [[If you vote for it has a Ross record it would have to have been a top 10 entry under her name alone.)

Vote Here Ross or Supremes as a group

supremester Guest
    Actually, she's sold millions. In '85 she went top 10 pop and #1 R&B, 89 #3 R&B, 91 #4 R&B in USA and continued to have top ten hits around the world through 1999. She has only done one album in the last 14 years - that kind of has a tendency to reduce sales. And they would all have been #1 for months but didn't get promoted.
    The proof however, is that thousands of fans every year pay top dollar to see and hear her sing the songs. Make no mistake about it: its hard to get a hit off a poorly produced, crappy song, but Paul MC Cartney seemed to several times so there goes that theory.

You don't like Miss Ross enough to allow it to permeate everything you write about, so sometimes you can seem slightly biased. Especially when you post on Youtube in vile, filthy, homophobic slurs on so may channels under so many names. Then, Rossers respond etc. If you don't feel she is good or the public liked or likes her, your opinion is as valid as anyone's.

If that's true, then why hasn't she sold any in the last 30 years? It was HDH and any other laborous producer or writer.

Thx Marv for the original recording. Love the ending-more dramatic. HDH seemed to value all three Supremes. Surprised they turned down the backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thx Marv for the original recording. Love the ending-more dramatic. HDH seemed to value all three Supremes. Surprised they turned down the backgrounds.
    You are most welcome Luke. Yes it was true, HDH valued all three Supremes. Why the vocals for that particular recording were turned down has never been answered.

alexgarret Guest
    Yes, thank you Marv2 [[DetroitLives313) - your postings here and on YouTube are very informative. We appreciate them all.

alexgarret Guest
    At least you've got your BFF Luke in your corner, you little piss ant

as a teen they were always "the supremes" to me. they always sounded great on the 45. i would watch them on tv and was first impressed by their look, their very minimal movement, and diana ross's telegenic face. she wasn't beautiful, she was iconic.

then the dresses got too show biz, and the live versions were alway disappointing to hear because there were no funk brothers, the endings didn't fade, but ended in a schmaltzy climax.

when h/d/h left the group seemed too square. then i started buying the stones ...

but the supremes, for their moment in time, had a sound and look that still stands up to the great classic popular music of the 1960's. from "where did our love go" to "you keep me hanging on" they were supreme!

supremester Guest
    I just played Marv's Youtube clip. This mix is awful to me. I had no idea they were so overblown on it. I think the blue Greatest Hits has the other mix I like with more Flo & Mary - but not this much. One thing is for certain, I do not hear Flo on it, can anyone? I think it's Mary & Marlene.

alexgarret Guest
    This single that was released was chosen to be the best of the best - it is what it is and it was a hit. They knew what they were doing.

supremester Guest
    Definitely. There are so many mixes of this song, I thought I'd provide this as, even with TCMS, the mixes are not always 100% accurate, but usually very close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQHBHwG9YY

The only thing I'd do, and I think this held it back from charting higher, is that the mix is very hot - especially the violins. I think it interrupts the plaintive quality somewhat. Less treble by 15%? I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by alexgarret View Post
    This single that was released was chosen to be the best of the best - it is what it is and it was a hit. They knew what they were doing.

revvy Guest
    Yeah, pull the treble back. Diana could have sung this song without any backup at all. Maybe Motown should have saved it for Diana's first solo single but, since it is a Supremes release, Mary and Flo could have easily been featured more prominently. Nevertheless, it's a great song and Diana kicks it out of the park. Once they sped up the tempo and made it Vegasy, the power was lost. Just sayin' and yes, Scherrie does a great take on this song as well in the FLOS shows.
    Last edited by revvy; 06-03-2013 at 02:18 AM.

You are most welcome Luke. Yes it was true, HDH valued all three Supremes. Why the vocals for that particular recording were turned down has never been answered.
    Smark21 suggests above that it was for artistic reasons to make the record sound more EMPTY. As HDH were never afraid to experiment, I think that is a likely reason.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Definitely. There are so many mixes of this song, I thought I'd provide this as, even with TCMS, the mixes are not always 100% accurate, but usually very close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQHBHwG9YY

The only thing I'd do, and I think this held it back from charting higher, is that the mix is very hot - especially the violins. I think it interrupts the plaintive quality somewhat. Less treble by 15%? I would have.
    I think that HDH were going for a doom-laden, end-of-the-world scenario rather than for plaintiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I

Asking a hypothetical question about a SUPREMES hit from darned near 50 years ago has only one place to go and that is south.

Roberta
    Dontcha just know it! ;-) I try to stay away from hypotheticals.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Make no mistake about it: its hard to get a hit off a poorly produced, crappy song, but Paul MC Cartney seemed to several times so there goes that theory.

You don't like Miss Ross enough to allow it to permeate everything you write about, so sometimes you can seem slightly biased. Especially when you post on Youtube in vile, filthy, homophobic slurs on so may channels under so many names. Then, Rossers respond etc. If you don't feel she is good or the public liked or likes her, your opinion is as valid as anyone's.
    Paul McCartney has more talent than Diana Ross does in her entire being.
    And that is not opinion, that is a FACT.
    Last edited by imnokid; 06-03-2013 at 12:12 PM.