[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin jr. Lead singer of the dells, r.i.p.

Greetings,
    Just got a phone call from a close friend,
    That Marvin Jr. passed away today.
    My prayers go out to the family.
    May he rest in pease.
    A great one.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

thomas96 Guest
    Terrible news, RIP Marvin.

R.I.P. Marvin, thanks for all the great music.
    Condolences to Marvin's family and The Dells.
    Name:  The Dells at Newark Symphany Hall.jpg
Views: 3721
Size:  35.7 KB

c. Jeanie Scott

S.S.

Oh dear!! Condolences......

One of the ALL TIME GREATS has gone home! I mean, it is nearly impossible to describe the fact that God gave this man a one of a kind voice that thrilled and made millions happy for 6 decades! Marvin Jr could be a monster at the mic and that note he would hold on "Stay In My Corner" would make me just shake my head in amazement. Well, he did his job and he did it well. God Bless him, his family and all of the Dells at this time.

Marv

http://www.eurweb.com/2013/05/we-rem...he-dells-dies/

We Remember: Marvin Junior, Lead Singer of The Dells Passes Away

*Word has come to EUR that Mr. Marvin Junior, the long time surviving lead singer extraordinaire of the mighty, mighty Dells went home to glory today [[05-29-13).

Unfortunately we don’t have any specific details of his death, but according to a May 23, 2013 report in the Soulful Detroit blog, Mr. Junior was reported to be very ill “and is not expected to be with us for very much longer.” The report also mentioned that another member of The Dells, Mr. Chuck Barksdale, was also very ill.

We’ll have more details as they become available.

Marvin Junior Bio via AllMusic.com:
    As the lead singer of the Dells, Marvin Junior‘s warm, earnest baritone vocals helped define the Harvey, IL, R&B/soul music group during its ’60s/’70s heyday [[along with Johnny Carter’s mesmerizing falsetto). One example of his vocal prowess is his ability at holding a note, as heard on the 1968 remake of their own “Stay in My Corner.”

It’s no secret that producers Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff wanted Marvin Junior on their Philadelphia International Records label. When the group signed to Chess, they went with the similar-sounding Teddy Pendergrass. Gamble & Huff finally got to work with the Dells in 1992 on the I Salute You album.

Junior, along with the rest of the Dells, was a key influence on Robert Townsend in the making of his movie The Five Heartbeats. In the early ’50s, the group initially formed as the El Rays when the members were students at Thornton Township High School. The lineup was Marvin Junior, Johnny Funches, Verne Allison, Chuck Barksdale, Mickey McGill, and his brother Lucius. After doing their share of street-corner harmonizing, the vocal group auditioned for Leonard Chess of Chess Records in nearby Chicago. Their first release on Chess’ Checker imprint was the a cappella song “Darling I Know” with “Christine” on the flip side. The 45 was a small regional hit. Not long afterwards, Lucius McGill quit the group. Now a quintet, the group was taken under the wing of Harvey Fuqua of the Moonglows who schooled the group on five-part vocal harmony.

Read more at AllMusic.com

Watch/listen to a classic 1972 live performance of “Oh What A Night,” “Always Together” and “Stay In My Corner” by the Dells on the PBS show “Soul”:

I am so so sorry to hear this...

Marvin Junior's one of a kind baritone voice broke the mold for others who followed. He was the best period. What the Dells contributed to vocal group harmony will never be forgotten, and neither will Marvin Junior.

Thank you for all the wonderful music. My condolences to his family and friends.

May he Rest In Peace...

~~Mary~~

For them to have lasted 60 years is amazing. Mickey McGill confirmed a year ago that the Dells were all but over due to the illnesses of Marvin and Chuck:

http://www.soulexpress.net/deep2_2012.htm#thedells

And it doesn't look like Chuck won't have long either.

I can respect the fact that the Dells will be retired now. As someone said, Marvin Jr. had a one of kind voice- like Levi Stubbs - and it's just impossible to replace him. May he rest in peace.

thomas96 Guest
    As much as we needed him here on Earth, God must've needed him much much more.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    As much as we needed him here on Earth, God must've needed him much much more.
    Amen! So true.......

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?id=9120515

'Oh What a Night' singer Marvin Junior dies at 77 of kidney failure

May 29, 2013 [[WLS) -- Marvin Junior, the lead singer of The Dells, has passed away.

Junior died from kidney failure and had a weak heart, his son Marvin Junior Jr. told ABC7. He says his father died surrounded by family in his home in Harvey around 3:15 pm on Wednesday afternoon.

He grew up in suburban Harvey and began singing together with the other members of the group while attending Thornton Township High School.

The Dells formed in 1952 under the name The El-Rays. In 1956, they recorded their first hit, "Oh What a Night."

[[Copyright ©2013 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more Local »

Aww... glad he's not suffering anymore. RIP

That's cute his son is named Marvin Junior, Jr.

RIP. One of the greatest. I always liked this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87w9Vk_PTYo

A truly sad loss ..... RIP Marvin.

A sad loss and sad news indeed. Thank you Marvin for the many years of unique, uplifting music.

Condolences to the family & The Dells..the music world has lost another icon and heaven has gained another choir member. Rest in Paradise, Marvin.

Marvin Rest in Peace, Thanks for the Joy you truly brought us, sincere condolences to The Family.

Rest in PeaceName:  dells.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  37.6 KB

There'll never be another.......

Not wwhat I wanted to read first thing in the morning. RIP, and thank you for the music.

No words.............

Very sad. Love him and the Dells. Had they still been touring?

Hi Luke,

No, they announced their retirement last year and were supposed to do a farewell concert last June at the Rock HOF in Cleveland. Marvin Junior and Chuck Barksdale were too ill to do the concert.

~~Mary~~

I had noticed in recent years that Marvin Junior had to take a seat onstage from time to time while in concert. Still this is a tough one. A tough loss.

A once-in-a-lifetime voice in an ALL MIGHTY group. The tag team tandem of Marvin and Johnny could send chills up and down your spine. And with Vern and Mickey in the middle with Chuck as anchor, it was a combination that could not be bettered. Met him once in Chicago and he was surprised that he had fans; but I told him he had lots and lots of fans.

Here in the UK the Dells are revered and held in the highest esteem. Marvin Juniors voice ranks alongside the greatest, no question and 'The love we had stays on my mind' is for me at the very pinnacle. Not just Marvins' amazing performance, but for anyone who has loved and lost, the moving lyrics really resonate. I am often moved to tears when I listen to this, but today my tears are for more reasons than just a moving song. Thank you Marvin, may your God look after you.

I will always remember him for that one loooonnnngggg note he holds on Stay In My Corner. My prayers go to Marvin's family.

As usual [[when it comes to veteran African American Artists), they got the picture wrong......
    http://music.msn.com/music/article.a...9&affid=100055

Remember......................

How many groups of any genre have stayed relevant over 6 decades?! I love The Dells. What a magnificent legacy of music they've left us. This is an early favorite of mine [[unreleased at the time!) In the first 2 notes you know you're hearing an extraordinary singer... Rest in Peace Marvin Junior.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-SL4gFJyKA

Just one more...lol. There are just so many great songs from The Dells, but this one is seldom heard, and sounds especially poignant now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tfWktqa1Y8

Man o man another legend gone,marvin's redition of[how i wish it was me you loved]always gives me goosebumps the man could sing with such power and emotion...r.i.p.

[QUOTE=keith_h;168668]Here in the UK the Dells are revered and held in the highest esteem. Marvin Juniors voice ranks alongside the greatest, no question and 'The love we had stays on my mind' is for me at the very pinnacle. Not just Marvins' amazing performance, but for anyone who has loved and lost, the moving lyrics really resonate. I am often moved to tears when I listen to this, but today my tears are for more reasons than just a moving song. Thank you Marvin, may your God look after you.[/QUOTE

So very true and how eloquently put.
    I bought 'Stay In My Corner' after hearing it on Mike Ravens R&B show all those years ago and sort out every Dells recording. Trentham Gardens was a dream come true, a memory to last forever.

RIP with the angels

What an amazing voice! What an amazing group! There will never be another group like The Dells. Marvin will indeed be missed, as are Johnny Funches and Johnny Carter.

Here's another excellent cut from the Dells that I have forgotten, "I Miss You" from '74:

The Dells' music has helped me through some rough times. This one was always a go to when I needed it. I always not-so-secretly hoped to get to see Marvin and the guys sing again..

Sorry for the double post, I think I put this in the other thread as well.

There Is, one of the all time greats- should have been on Motown, the only person that came close to matching Levi was Marvin- especially on this song, I get chills everytime I hear it, the begining is amazing.
    RIP

Here is an excellent, excellent tribute site to Marvin Junior of the Dells:

http://www.themightydellsmarvinjunior.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is an excellent, excellent tribute site to Marvin Junior of the Dells:

http://www.themightydellsmarvinjunior.com/
    Can someone tell me the name of the first song that starts playing on this tribute page?

Anyone know how Chuck is doing?

Imnokid - It's Open Up My Heart. Here it is on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhgBUBuLQ64

Oldies

thanx a lot. great song.

imnokid, if you like Open Up My Heart, here's Marvin Jr. and The Dells on the same song, recorded 32 years later, and over 13 minutes long.................

wow.thanx-so what year was this?

Kevin, released 2002. Click on this url and scroll down to the piece on the CD and recording of "Open Up My Heart." beneath the 50th anniversary photo.
    http://www.soul-patrol.com/dells/
    Also, check your email. Mike