[REMOVE ADS]

Vintage & used or a replica

I've come into a lot of vinyl lately, but can only play records at my dad's. I'm going to get myself a record player, but can't decide on getting a used, refurbished model like those on Ebay or one made just like a vintage model. What do some of the vinyl enthusiasts suggest?

I use a Technics SL1200, which is the type that were/are often used by radio stations and DJs. It's probably not considered 'hi fi' but the series has been proven as a good reliable 'workhorse' design. I don't know if they're still available new, but they were quite pricey. Personally I'd stay away from the turntables that are available these days for transferring vinyl to your computer and go for one that was specifically designed for playing vinyl. I guess the real answer is 'it depends how much you want to pay'.

I recommend buying an older/used player. I have a great Technics turn table I got years ago at a church basement sale for $2 and it hasn't failed me yet. Most of the new players are overpriced and terrible quality...made out of plastic and made in China.

thomas96 Guest
    Do you want a reliable very good sound condition, or just something to play it on and listen casually?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Do you want a reliable very good sound condition, or just something to play it on and listen casually?
    It's gotta sound good and should be working if it's used.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    It's gotta sound good and should be working if it's used.
    Now when you say vintage and used are you thinking '50s/'60s or like '80s/'90s? Any price range? Do you want a built in speaker and have it be able to play by itself, or would you hook it up to a sound system?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Now when you say vintage and used are you thinking '50s/'60s or like '80s/'90s? Any price range? Do you want a built in speaker and have it be able to play by itself, or would you hook it up to a sound system?
    PROBABLY 1980S. My dad has a Technics system that he's had for 39 years. It still works. I do want a built in speaker, headphone jack, but I want to be able to hook it up to a surround sound.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    PROBABLY 1980S. My dad has a Technics system that he's had for 39 years. It still works. I do want a built in speaker, headphone jack, but I want to be able to hook it up to a surround sound.
    I'm not sure you'll find one with a built in speaker and be able to hook it up to surround sound, but as Alanh said, the Technics-SL1200 is a great reliable player. Basically any Technics are great players and many will come fairly cheap even in good used condition. I wouldn't recommend buying any new players as they are going to be more expensive and probably not even as reliable. I use a Technics SP-10 and a General Electric Tonal 1, but I wouldn't recommend looking for one of those as they are hard to find in good working condition. I don't know much about the later Technics as the SP-10 I have was made in '69, so I would say just do some research on Technics players made around the '80s or '90s as they will be very reliable and fairly cheap.

NO DOUBT !!!!!!!!!! Get you a used Technics 1200. Not a MK2 or any of those. Get the early series model. These turntables are the "Volvo's and Timex" of turntables. Take a lickin but keeps on tickin. The 1200 series is discontinued but you can get parts for them all over on line ,and there were millions of them made. Quartz lock ,-10 to +10 pitch , sturdy construction. Worth the investment because no table made now has the wieght of the platter , or body of the unit. Spend the money , then find a good cartridge.