[REMOVE ADS]

Most REISSUED ARTIST; MOST UNDER REISSUED ARTIST

Someone brought up in the Bacharach thread that they thought Dionne Warwick was one of the most reissued soul or pop artists with most of her classic Scepter and Warner's albums still in print. Nancy Wilson is becoming another with most of her Capitol album catalog still available. And of course, Motown's Supremes and Marvin Gaye. Ray Charles is another artist with a lot of albums in print, ditto for MISS ARETHA FRANKLIN. Can we think of others? Most under reissued: JAMES BROWN.

Most re-issued on his SAVOY recordings ~ Jimmy Scott
    [[A continued rip-off label who keeps re-issuing Jimmy's recordings with different album jackets). No royalties.

Most under re-issued on his Roost and King recordings ~ Jimmy Scott
    [[Not all of his Roost material has been available and none of his fabulous King 45's have been on any albums as a re-issue).

S.S.

Most of Millie Jackson's albums have been released on cd, including her classic Spring albums. The only album that hasn't [[to my knowledge) is her rare live album recorded in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Someone brought up in the Bacharach thread that they thought Dionne Warwick was one of the most reissued soul or pop artists with most of her classic Scepter and Warner's albums still in print. Nancy Wilson is becoming another with most of her Capitol album catalog still available. And of course, Motown's Supremes and Marvin Gaye. Ray Charles is another artist with a lot of albums in print, ditto for MISS ARETHA FRANKLIN. Can we think of others? Most under reissued: JAMES BROWN.
    James Brown? Under-reissued??? On what planet? This guy has had multiple reissued comps and even has a boxed set. It's quite easy to get multiple copies of his catalog on various LPs and CDs.

Aretha Franklin
    The Supremes
    Marvin Gaye
    The Beach Boys
    Miles Davis
    Frank Sinatra
    Carpenters
    Michael Jackson
    Elvis Presley
    Ray Charles
    ABBA
    The Doors

And those are only a scant few I can think of right now.

thomas96 Guest
    Not sure about most reissued, but for most under reissued I'd say most of Stax... Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett, Rufus and Carla Thomas, Arthur Conley, and more. Otis and Booker T and Isaac Hayes have been reissued but not as much as they should in my opinion.

Junior Walker has to be the most under reissued. He had 18 LPs released on the Soul, Motown and Tamla-Motown labels. Eleven of those albums have never been reissued on CD or in other digital format and most of those that were released on CD are long out of print.
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 05-13-2013 at 07:10 AM.

You can find a lot of James Brown compilations but actual albums like I Can't Stand Myself and It's A Mother, etc. are scarce.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 05-15-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    You can find a lot of James Brown compilations but actual albums like I Can't Stand Myself, etc. are scarce.
    Did the OP make any distinction between albums and comps? As far as i'm concerned, it doesn't matter. And, if the first CD reissue of an album sounds excellent, there's no real need to remaster it again. There are a lot of JB albums on CD. I don't know how many are actually still in print, but they are available. I could probably go down to my local record store right now and find new copies of some of them.

In the late 80s and early 90s, the record labels, particularly the former MCA/Motown, and Polygram labels, now both part of UMe, went crazy reissuing anything and everything at least once.

I'm not picking an argument or anything, just having my say. It's all in good conversation.

Not sure about over-reissued artists [[there seems to be about 25-30 reissues of The Who's catalogue out there), but I definitely have a candidate for the least reissued artist/artists: THE SYLVERS.

I'm especially talking about their work on the MGM/Pride label. Doesn't Universal own these masters too? It looks like the group's Capitol catalogue is finally getting reissued, which is great, but we also need a digital [[and vinyl) re-release of the Sylvers I, II and III Pride LPs. I've seen a Sylvers greatest hits CD put out by Razor & Tie a few years ago, and it featured 5-6 songs from the Pride catalogue, but it was pulled off the market, reportedly because of copyright problems, and that disc now fetches big bucks on Ebay. [[As do the original Pride vinyl albums; it took me over two years to finally collect all three.)

Are there legal reasons why these albums haven't been reissued? Are the masters damaged or lost? I wish someone could come up with an answer. Fool's Paradise, I Wish That I Could Talk To You, So Close, I'll Never Be Ashamed, I Aim to Please, Stay Away From Me, Cry of a Dreamer, Love Me Love Me Not, Through the Love of My Heart ... these songs are just too incredibly good to remain so obscure and forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by jdwheat View Post
    Are there legal reasons why these albums haven't been reissued? Are the masters damaged or lost? I wish someone could come up with an answer. Fool's Paradise, I Wish That I Could Talk To You, So Close, I'll Never Be Ashamed, I Aim to Please, Stay Away From Me, Cry of a Dreamer, Love Me Love Me Not, Through the Love of My Heart ... these songs are just too incredibly good to remain so obscure and forgotten.
    I wholeheartedly agree about The Sylvers!

The tapes are probably in great shape. Legal? Probably not. The biggest reason things don't get reissued is because of disinterest at the record labels, or they don't think they will sell enough to make it worth their while. The best one can hope for is iTunes, Amazon, or some other download vendor.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-23-2013 at 01:42 AM.

I own 25 legitimate James Brown album re-issues. That is not including compilations, funky divas, the singles, JBs, etc. JB is probably the MOST re-issued artist.

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    I own 25 legitimate James Brown album re-issues. That is not including compilations, funky divas, the singles, JBs, etc. JB is probably the MOST re-issued artist.
    He's up there, anyway.

The trick is to have been collecting CDs from the beginning, and to have had access to all those CDs