[REMOVE ADS]

Interesting CD: Detroit Rhythm Co.

http://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Rhythm.../dp/B00079YHTO

Picked up this CD at a thrift store over the weekend; what drew me to it was the eclectic track listing:

Songs: The way you do the things you do-motorcity All-stars,Heatwave-Martha Reeves and The Vandellas,Feel the need in me-The Detroit Emeralds,Stop in the name of love-The Supremes,Baby I need your loving-Joe Stubbs,Come see about me-Velvelettes,Doctor's orders-Carol Douglas,Shop around-Miracles,Shoop shoop song[[It's in his song)-Betty Everett,Don't mess with Bill-Marvelettes

It appeared to be one of those "MotorCity" collections, but songs like "Doctor's Orders" and "The Shoop Shoop Song", to my ears, appear to be the originals.

One thing I noticed that maybe I never noticed before: on the "new" versions of "Stop!" by the FLOS and "Heatwave" by MR&TV, I only hear the leads, Scherrie and Martha. Does anyone know: when Levine recorded these tracks, were Lynda and Jean [[or Lynda and Sundray) and Roz and Nettie used on backgroud, or was it simply session singers? The backgrounds seem similar, and I can't distinguish anyone but the leads. As far as "Bill" by the Marvelettes; it's Wanda, but I don't know if Gladys was a part of those recording sessions. I can only imagine who the "Marvelettes" were at that time.

The MotorCity tracks were recorded roughly between 1989 to about 1992.

Mary

If they are the same versions as previously released, I think that is The Andantes with Martha on 'Heat Wave'. I love Martha's voice on this version.

Not sure about 'Stop! - I don't hear Jean in the background. It could be session singers, or just Scherrie and Lynda, or possibly Scherrie backing herself - as Carolyn Crawford did, on most if not all of her MotorCity recordings.

Roz & Nettie may not have backed Martha on any of her recordings. It could be The Andantes on 'Step into my shoes' - ?

I'd say Roz & Nettie are on background for Bettye LaVette's version of 'Jimmy Mack'. They did record two tracks themselves [['Running And Hiding' was one, can't remember the other offhand). Lois Reeves did a couple [[including 'Patience is a virtue') and Betty Kelly did at least one track, "Giving Me The Runaround", which I think is great and, for me, has a lot of sweet charm.

Gladys did most of the leads for the Marvelettes MotorCity sessions, with many of the tracks being released quite some time after the label folded. I think both Gladys and Wanda took only the leads, and didn't contribute to the backgrounds.

Hope that helps, and some of it is just my own opinion
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 05-24-2013 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Mary

If they are the same versions as previously released, I think that is The Andantes with Martha on 'Heat Wave'. I love Martha's voice on this version.

Not sure about 'Stop! - I don't hear Jean in the background. It could be session singers, or just Scherrie and Lynda, or possibly Scherrie backing herself - as Carolyn Crawford did, on most if not all of her MotorCity recordings.

Roz & Nettie may not have backed Martha on any of her recordings. It could be The Andantes on 'Step into my shoes' - ?

I'd say Roz & Nettie are on background for Bettye LaVette's version of 'Jimmy Mack'. They did record two tracks themselves [['Running And Hiding' was one, can't remember the other offhand). Lois Reeves did a couple [[including 'Patience is a virtue') and Betty Kelly did at least one track, "Giving Me The Runaround", which I think is great and, for me, has a lot of sweet charm.

Gladys did most of the leads for the Marvelettes MotorCity sessions, with many of the tracks being released quite some time after the label folded. I think both Gladys and Wanda took only the leads, and didn't contribute to the backgrounds.

Hope that helps, and some of it is just my own opinion
    THANK YOU for your wonderful reply. You answered a lot of my questions!

For "historical" value, I've always apprreciated Levine's recordings. I know many have said they are not of the best quality, but who else recorded a Lois Reeves solo, or The Original Vandellas solo? I think they're great and I've come to ejoy them more and more over the years.

Mary

You're very welcome. I agree that Ian Levine's recordings possess an inherent historical value - it's just that much of the potential has yet to be realised.

If you've not already done so, you might try the thread started by Stone Diamond on Motown Forum : 'The Contours - The Tracks of My Tears' ,as I think it may interest you....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 05-24-2013 at 10:57 AM.