[REMOVE ADS]

~~The MIGHTY DELLS on SOUL LIVE Complete Performance 1972!!~~

I absolutely LOVE the DELLS!! Here they are doing a great show from 1972. It doesn't get much better than the powerful lead of Marvin Junior, the cool falsetto of Johnny Carter and deep bass of Chuck Barksdale.

ENJOY!!

~~Mary~~

On PBS - New York 13 - Ellis Hazlip's t.v. show SOUL! was the best thing for live soul music on television long before Soul Train. My Mighty Manhattans with "Smitty" appeared on it two or three times and "Jimmy" was on twice as well. They had all the great acts of the day including actors, poets, and activists.

"Always Together" has always been one of my favorite Dells records and my most fav "The Love We Had Stays On My Mind" ooweee.

S.S.
    Last edited by Soul Sister; 05-22-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Great, Mary!
    Thank you for this clip.
    You know that I love vocal harmony groups - including, of course, Jive Five :-) - but the Dells has always been my number one.

Best regards
    Heikki

Hi S.S., You've mentioned the show to me before and it must have been fantastic!. What I like from the Dells clip is them doing almost a half hour instead of one or two songs. Plus they were backed by a live band so no lip syncing to songs. Wish I could have seen it back in the day. What a show!! I would have loved to have seen Smitty & The Manhattans & Jimmy, too.

Hi Heikki, I know you love your vocal group harmony groups, as do I. The Dells woul be number 2, you already know my number one. So many great singers from those groups. Marvin Junior is right up there in my top ten list of favorite male vocalists. Needless to say, Eugene Pitt is my fave of all time. The wonderful article you did on Eugene & The Jive Five is the one I refer people to all the time for it's excellence and accuracy. Hope you are doing well.

~~Mary~~

Excellent and timely post Mary..........

Hi Mary!

I also did a four-part feature on the Dells in the late 90s by interviewing all current and still living ex-members of the group, some producers, writers etc. They were my first choice for such multi-part features.
    The story was published in our printed papers only, but it's still available.

Best regards
    Heikki

Thank you, paladin. I didn't know how timely it was in reference to Marvin Junior. I had heard about Chuck Barksdale.

Hi Heikki, I wish there was a way your four part series of them could be made available online. It would be timely to say the least.

~~Mary~~

Hi!

My last interview with Mickey McGill took place a year ago, at
    http://www.soulexpress.net/deep2_2012.htm#thedells
    Already then he mentioned Marvin and Chuck.

Best regards
    Heikki

You do great work, Heikki!

S.S.

Thank you so much, Heikki!! DITTO what S.S. said. You are the BEST!!

~~Mary~~

Thank you, ladies!
    I really am sorry to hear these news. Altogether, recent months have been depressing in terms of veteran artists passing away.
    As I wrote above, the Dells is and has been my number one group. Luckily we have so much recorded material from them for us to enjoy.

Best regards
    Heikki

My favorite all time baritone, Marvin Junior! Will keep both men in my prayers.

[[[[[[HUGZ))) Nosey.

~~Mary~~

Mary, thank you for posting this. I remember seeing this performance on SOUL!!! I got a kick watching Ellis Haizslip in the audience. SOUL was such a great show on channel 13 in New York. I wish the powers that be would package all those wonderful live SOUL shows on DVD for purchase. It is surely a historical archive and it is a shame that we don't have access to it.

NYSister

You're most welcome, NYSister. Soul Sister has told me what a fabulous show it was. Coming from Maine I never got to see it, but I wish I had. If this performance by The Dells is any indication of the quality of the show, I wish they wuld package all the performances for sale, too!!

~~Mary~~