[REMOVE ADS]

Upcoming dionne warwick reissues [[1)

Make Way For Dionne Warwick: 23 Scepter and Warner Bros. Albums To Be Remastered and Expanded, Including New-to-CD Titles

The Second Disc Review

What it's all about Dionne?

According to WEA Japan – the Japanese arm of Warner Music Group – it's all about Dionne Warwick. The legendary singer has recently celebrated her 50th anniversary in music with the well-received album Now [[one of the final projects produced by the late Phil Ramone) while Warwick's closest musical collaborator, Burt Bacharach, has just marked his own 85th birthday with the publication of a new memoir and the issuance of a new retrospective box set.

And so, in July, WEA Japan will reissue 23 albums – representing Warwick's tenure at both Scepter and Warner Bros. Records – in newly remastered, mini-LP sleeve editions including mono and stereo for the early albums, plus bonus tracks [[both those appended to Rhino Handmade's previous expansions of certain titles, and new, never-on-CD additions) on virtually every disc in the set. Three of these albums are new to CD.

Warwick's Scepter and Warner catalogues have been reissued numerous times on CD from various labels including Rhino Handmade, Ambassador Soul Classics, Disky, Sequel Records and Collectors' Choice Music, with many variations in mixes along the way. This series appears to standardize her remarkable body of work in uniform editions with single mixes added where applicable. The albums covered in the Warwick campaign are:

Presenting Dionne Warwick [[1963) [[Mono/Stereo)
    Anyone Who Had a Heart [[1964) [[Mono/Stereo)
    Make Way for Dionne Warwick [[1964) [[Mono/Stereo plus bonus tracks)
    The Sensitive Sound Of Dionne Warwick [[1965) [[Mono/Stereo)
    Here I Am [[1965) [[Mono/Stereo plus bonus track)
    Dionne Warwick in Paris [[1966) [[Mono/Stereo)
    Here Where There Is Love [[1966) [[Mono/Stereo)
    On Stage and in the Movies [[1967) [[Mono/Stereo)
    The Windows of the World [[1967) [[Mono/Stereo plus bonus tracks)
    The Magic of Believing [[1967) [[Mono/Stereo)
    In The Valley of the Dolls [[1968) [[Mono/Stereo plus bonus tracks)
    Promises. Promises [[1968) [[with bonus tracks)
    Soulful [[1969) [[with bonus tracks)
    Dionne Warwick's Greatest Motion Picture Hits [[1969) [[First time on CD, plus bonus tracks)
    I'll Never Fall in Love Again [[1970) [[with bonus tracks)
    Very Dionne [[1970) [[duplicates track listing of Rhino Handmade RHM2 7869, 2004)
    The Dionne Warwicke Story: A Decade Of Gold [[1971) [[2 CDs; First time on CD)
    From Within [[1972) [[2 CDs; First time on CD)
    Dionne [[1972) [[with bonus tracks)
    Just Being Myself [[1973) [[with bonus tracks)
    Then Came You [[1975) [[with bonus tracks)
    Track of the Cat [[1975) [[with bonus tracks)
    Love At First Sight [[1977) [[with bonus tracks)

The first eleven albums in the series, between 1963 debut Presenting Dionne Warwick and 1968's In the Valley of the Dolls, contain the complete LP in both mono and stereo. Of these mono/stereo editions, four albums have additional bonus material:

Make Way for Dionne Warwick [[1964) adds the German-language singles of "Walk On By" and "You'll Never Get to Heaven [[If You Break My Heart)" plus the French-language take of "A House is Not a Home."
    Here I Am [[1965) adds "Message to Michael," Warwick's version of the song first recorded by Jerry Butler as "Message to Martha" and later by Lou Johnson as "Kentucky Bluebird." Released by Warwick as the B-side to "Here Where There is Love" over Bacharach and David's objections – they hadn't wished Warwick to record their song in the first place, considering it a male singer's song – "Michael" became a Top 10 Pop/Top 5 R&B hit for the team.

The Windows of the World [[1967) adds Italian singles of the title track and "Walk Little Dolly," a lesser-known but equally elegant Bacharach/David song that's a favorite of Elvis Costello.
    In the Valley of the Dolls [[1968) adds the same two Italian recordings featured on Rhino Handmade's expansion [[RHM2 7859, 2004): "Silent Voices" [["Lo Volce di Silenzio") and "For the Rest of My Life" [["Dedicato All Amore"). Bacharach arranged and conducted, but didn't write, "Silent Voices," and Garry Sherman handled those duties for "For the Rest of My Life."

Following Valley of the Dolls, each album is heard in its original stereo LP mix. The remaining Scepter remasters all boast bonus material with the exception of The Dionne Warwicke Story: A Decade of Gold and From Within, both of which are appearing on CD for the very first time as double-disc sets. [[Twelve songs from the latter release, a hybrid of new and old material, were issued on CD as part of Rhino Handmade's 2003 Soulful expansion, RHM2 7838.)

Bonus songs are as follows:

Promises, Promises [[1968) adds the original mono single versions of six songs: – "Who Is Gonna Love Me?", "Promises, Promises," "Whoever You Are, I Love You," "This Girl's in Love with You," "Dream Sweet Dreamer" and "Odds and Ends." All Bacharach/David compositions, "Promises" and "Whoever You Are" originated in Bacharach and David's musical Promises, Promises.

Soulful [[1969) adds the single versions of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" and "I'm Your Puppet." Rhino Handmade's reissue included 12 songs originally on From Within, as well as an unreleased version of "Put a Little Love in Your Heart." Those thirteen tracks have been moved to the first-time CD of From Within.

Dionne Warwick's Greatest Motion Picture Hits [[1969) makes its first appearance on CD. It adds some particularly exciting bonus tracks: the stereo album and mono single versions of Warwick's two songs from the film The Love Machine, "Amanda" and "He's Movin' On." These Bacharach productions have not previously been available on CD. A fifth bonus track, the mono single of "Slaves," has also been included.

I'll Never Fall In Love Again [[1970) makes room for mono bonus singles of "I'll Never Fall in Love Again," "Let Me Go to Him," "Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets," "The Wine is Young," "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head," and "Knowing When to Leave." All were Bacharach/David compositions and productions, with "I'll Never Fall" and "Knowing When to Leave" two more songs from the hit musical Promises, Promises. [[Larry Wilcox co-wrote the arrangement for "I'll Never Fall" with Bacharach, and arranged "Raindrops" on his own.)

Very Dionne [[1970) duplicates the track listing of Rhino Handmade's reissue [[RHM2 7869, 2004). For that reissue, 16 bonus tracks were added to the original 10-track album including two duets with B.J. Thomas [["Make It Easy on Yourself" and "They Don't Give Medals to Yesterday's Heroes") and a lost Bacharach/David gem, "California." The bulk of the bonus material comes from a Garden State Arts Center concert on July 23, 1970. The entire concert was recorded, and the remaining songs were to be included by Rhino on an expanded edition of On Stage and in the Movies. That reissue never materialized, and so the remaining tracks [["Alfie," "Raindrops," "Promises, Promises," "I'll Never Fall in Love Again") are still languishing in the vaults.

Why is there no US or European release planned? You have to be a millionaire to be able to buy all these discs...

I might pick and choose and buy only favorites just to get the mono and stereo versions. Single mixes are a strong draw, but not enough. The disc of motion picture hits probably won't contain the different versions of Slaves. I expect these sets will be deeply discounted when they are released.

Hopefully, Amazon will have cheaper prices from some of their various dealers once they are actually released. At the moment, the extras are somewhat tempting. But the prices are still too high, at least from what I saw on Amazon. Having all of these on vinyl and cd except for the three that have never been released on cd, I might just go for those.

cdjapan is going to have the best prices you'll find, not that they'll be a bargain:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_c...tml?key=108632

Is there any information about the bonus tracks on the "Just Being Myself" album

Sadly no unreleased material on the "Just Being Myself". I found this site which was helpful

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...7-2013.317260/

There's a poster on youtube that has studio chatter on some of Dionne's recordings - does anyone know where these came from

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Is there any information about the bonus tracks on the "Just Being Myself" album
    The original email that I received was too long to fit into one post. So I had to put info on the WB releases in a separate post, Upcoming DIonne Warwick Reissues [[2).

But as you found, there are no unreleased tracks on the JUST BEING MYSELF, just the addition of single versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I might pick and choose and buy only favorites just to get the mono and stereo versions.
    This is my plan for at least four of the earlier Scepter albums:

>The Sensitive Sound Of Dionne Warwick [[it will be so nice to finally get the mono single mix of "You Can Have Him" on CD)

>Anyone Who Had A Heart

>Here, Where There Is Love

Hey, Reese, do you have a link to the article in your original opening post?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Hey, Reese, do you have a link to the article in your original opening post?
    It wasn't an article. I received the info in an email. But it looks like it came from the Second Disc Review.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It wasn't an article. I received the info in an email. But it looks like it came from the Second Disc Review.
    Oh. No offense intended, but I wanted to share the link on another message board. It's a site where people want to see legit, official news, and don't just take someone's word.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Oh. No offense intended, but I wanted to share the link on another message board. It's a site where people want to see legit, official news, and don't just take someone's word.
    No offense taken.

Thanks, Jack!

I've just ordered the whole set from cdjapan. They are the cheapest shop around for Japanese mini lp cd's. Can't wait to get them! And st least with cardboard sleeve cd's they hold their value so if I do fall on hard times they can go on eBay!

The prices were lower on CDJapan, but the release date is still a month away. They won't ship until close to the release date. And by then, someone else may have them even cheaper.

I hope I have some money saved up for them by then.