[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Rita Coolidge: Anyone here a fan?

I’m not sure if she would ever be considered a soul singer, but anyone else here a fan of Rita Coolidge? I’ve been aware of her voice and a few of her songs over the years, but never really listened closely until this past weekend when I decided to check her out on youtube. Well I’ve fallen in love with her voice. It’s so polished and mellow yet evokes a very romantic and melancholy aura. I’ve downloaded “Higher and Higher”, “We’re All Alone” and “I’d Rather Leave While I’m in Love”. Any other songs of hers I should check out?

One of my favs by Rita is "Love Came For Me." She did a nice blues album in the early 70's which included "They Call It Stormy Monday." Also liked her version of "Fever", some others that come to mind is "Words", "Am I Blue", and "Fool That I Am."

Here's her Anthology on Amazon w/ soundclips:

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Lady-Ant...idge+anthology

Fabulous singer who stills gives a great concert. [[One of Mary Wilson's best friends too.) Start with Greatest Hits or Anytime Anywhere to get the best sampling of her talents. I picked up a pristine vinyl copy last week of Anytime Anywhere and it sounds better than the Raven reissue on CD. Most of her albums sadly have never made it to CD though....

Anyone remember the SNL skit about Anne Murray and Rita Coolidge? I thought of it when I saw this thread. She had a few songs I liked, can't remember what they are, but not Higher & Higher.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 05-14-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Check out 'Let's Go Dancin' from 1979, which was written and produced by Booker T.

I also liked 'I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love' and 'Don't Cry Out Loud'. However I never went for her covers of songs like 'Higher and Higher', 'The Way You Do The Things You Do' and 'Lover Please'.

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    Check out 'Let's Go Dancin' from 1979, which was written and produced by Booker T.

I also liked 'I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love' and 'Don't Cry Out Loud'. However I never went for her covers of songs like 'Higher and Higher', 'The Way You Do The Things You Do' and 'Lover Please'.
    Rita covered "Don't Cry Out Loud" or have you confused her with Melissa Manchester who had the top 10 hit with it?

I think Rita's version might have been a Japanese issue. Here she is singing it live
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3u6gn6UQQg

Here in the UK Elkie Brooks had a Top 20 hit with it. As the YouTube correspondent says, the original was by The Moments - something I'd forgotten!

smark21 Guest
    Thanks for the recommendations on Rita Coolidge material to seek out. Maybe in the next week or two I’ll go to J and R and see if I can find a good greatest hits set to purchase. I really like the tone of her voice and her phrasing and the understated emotion she brings to her lyrics. I’ve also checked out a couple of her duets with Kris Kristofferson on youtube…whew those two had chemistry!

That's it, I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love. Rita Coolidge also had a song called My Crew, I think that was the title, that I also liked.

She's OK, not a great singer, and her songs tent go get bland and boring. But, she was always closer to R&B. Maybe that was her then husband Booker T. Jones' influence.

I'm about to do a needledrop of a clean copy of her "Love me Again" album from 1978.

Rita Coolidge has a full, clear as a bell, warm, lush voice. She does not have to over sing to be effective in whatever she sings. Her vocal qualities very much reminds me of Gale Garnett who had a big hit in the early 60's with "We'll Sing In the Sunshine"

This will always be my favorite recording by Rita:

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    She's OK, not a great singer, and her songs tent go get bland and boring. But, she was always closer to R&B. Maybe that was her then husband Booker T. Jones' influence.

I'm about to do a needledrop of a clean copy of her "Love me Again" album from 1978.
    At one time, Rita Coolidge and her sister, Priscilla , were married to Kris Kristofferson and Booker T. Jones respectively, which made them brothers -in- law.

I didnt like Higher and Higher but it grew on me. As a child I only knew her as Kris Kristoffersons wife....LOL I was so happy when she gained some fame.