[REMOVE ADS]

"Up The Ladder to The Roof" is born 43 years ago.

After listening to the new mix someone posted, i thought it appropriate to post my appreciation for the release of the "up the ladder to the roof" single on the day after the Ed Sullivan Episode aired on Feb. 14, 1970, after the shock of that fabulous performance it was selling out in store across the country the next day, demand for the record was not being fullfilled fast enough, because I could not get a copy until the end of the week when the record stores in brooklyn had sold out. By March 7th it entered the Billboard chart and by April or early May it peaked at #10. The record is a wonderful opening on the New Supremes called then, with Mary, Jean and Cindy getting their vocal due, and Jean Terrel as lead singer nailed it to the wall. The record was reported as selling 800,000 in Randy's book "Call her Ms Ross" the album Right On followed in May or June and it's the leading selling Post Ross Supremes album.

Fran, that song was a really big deal at the time. It was like the official start to the 70's. It received a lot of airplay, followed closely by "Bill When Are You Coming Back", the flip side of the single.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Fran, that song was a really big deal at the time. It was like the official start to the 70's. It received a lot of airplay, followed closely by "Bill When Are You Coming Back", the flip side of the single.
    Well I remember, hearing "Wait a Minute Before you leave Me" on a fm channel at the end of the dial where WBLS is now located I thought it was going to be the next single then they released "Everybody Got the Right to Love" not the best choice to me, considering what was on that album that i played to death.

UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF was an awfully good recording for the 'new' Supremes to start off with.

I only wish it had been called DOWN THE HATCH WITH VERMOUTH. Now that would have shaken and stirred things anew.

This thread causes me to reflect on the time perspective of The Supremes' career: Only SEVEN years between WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO and UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF! Amazing!!!! And the wonderful aspect is that 43-50 years later, so many of us are still interested ... and enjoying the music!