[REMOVE ADS]

RossHolloway Guest

Mahogany Remake in the works - Who's to play Diana Ross?

Why mess with a classic? I think the remake will only work with a big female star.

http://thegrio.com/2013/04/18/mahoga...:mahogany-16x9

I read where someone suggested Kerry Washington. She would do a great job.

MAHOGANY has always been a mess of a movie for me. I love Ross in it--I thought she really made good on the acting promises she had made in LADY SINGS THE BLUES. I even liked that she used her own designs in the film, although I thought they were uniformly awful--except for what Ross wore herself [[and I always suspected most of her outfits were not her designs).

The Kerry Washington idea is a very good one--but only if the new production team decides to go about business-as-usual. I'm hoping they'll take a more novel approach, a riskier one, and that they'll cast against-type and turn the story on its head and have the Mahogany character end up being a ruthless horror who is alone. If they take the original, hackneyed tagline of "Success is nothing without someone you love to share it with" and simply change it to "Success is . . . everything!", they could be onto something worth watching. And if not, why botha'? The original--as bad as it is--holds up well enough just as it is, and all because of Ross' performance and presence in it. Merely trying to duplicate the movie nearly 40 years later doesn't seem to be on the road to success, as far as I see it.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 04-18-2013 at 05:32 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    I've always enjoyed watching Mahogany. Diana and Billy Dee definitely had some good chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    MAHOGANY has always been a mess of a movie for me. I love Ross in it--I thought she really made good on the acting promises she had made in LADY SINGS THE BLUES. I even liked that she used her own designs in the film, although I thought they were uniformly awful--except for what Ross wore herself [[and I always suspected most of her outfits were not her designs).
    I just checked and IMDB says that the Costumes are by Diana Ross. I always thought the only costumes she designed were the Asian inspired clothes shown in her fashion show sequence. I can't even imagine how she would have had the time to design wardrobe for a whole movie as well as star in it. That's huge.

Nahhh....some things, well, many things - should never have been re-done in the first place.

Take SPARKLE the original, for instance. Love the music, catchy, love the characters. While I have not seen the recent remake [[nor probably never willingly will), this I already know: Jordin Sparks is not an Irene Cara.

Neither is anyone else other than Diana Ross a Diana Ross, although I'm sure MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL is having the most fun re-enacting her.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 04-18-2013 at 06:09 PM.

smark21 Guest
    It's a camp classic, not a true classic.
    Last edited by smark21; 04-18-2013 at 09:01 PM.

This is a mistake on all counts. She is doing it because it is easy for her to get the rights and it does not require a new screenplay or any creativity. To remake a non blockbuster in it's original form now is just plain stupid. The remake of "Sparkle" barely got over with the public.

Anybody consider having Tracey Ross recreate the role?

RossHolloway Guest
    The only actress/singer I could possibly see pulling off this role would be Beyonce, and Will Smith in the Billy Dee role, and Joaquin Phoenix in the Anthony Perkins role.

The basic story is a good one. It needs updating. It was dated in 1975. Beyonce might love taking this one on. Tracey would be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    YEAH! Let her do it........hehehehehehehehehe!!!!! LOL!

Putting Beyonce in this role would be a huge mistake. The only reason Dreamgirl did well is the broadway play, the Supremes connection, the Mary Wilson book, and the names of the stars. That moniker "Dreamgirl" has been in the heads of the public for several years. Mahogany was in 1975 and people are not going to identify with it OLDER people 35 and above will but the best thing to make his movie a success would be HEAVY promotion with an actress who can bring some meat to the role. I would pick Robin Givens who I always thought could play Ross. Taraji P Henson, or someone of that ilk. A young black actress who can ACT and do the modeling. Depasse should bring on Tyra Banks as a creative consultant to get the true modeling atmosphere of the picture and let Diana Ross play the owner of the modeling agency. There may be too many comparisons if Tracey Ross were to play the part but I think she could do it. In order to get box office I think Ross should be in it. Im not all that impressed with Beyonce as an actress although I thought she did well in Cadillac Records. Back in 1975 we had not seen a black actress in a modeling montage and in Rome it was a big deal then and Ross pulled it off. I dont think the film has aged well except for Ross fans and Motown fans. Lady Sings the Blues has aged well but Mahogany sounds like camp now its only fun to watch not meaningful. You have Americas Top Model now and everyone has had access to all of this and the catwalk there has to be some meat in this part now. Is it a mistake to do a remake. Not in my opinion IF its done right and Ross has a Cameo and you keep the premise and get a new Mahogany who is younger being trained by the original and passing the torch. Not a remake like Sparkle. I bet the only people who went to see Sparkle were fans of the older movie [[again identity) and Jordin Sparks fans and maybe some Whitney Houston fans. I have always wanted to see a remake of Mahogany but not at the hands of Depasse.

RossHolloway had a great idea about Mr Phoenix being in the Anthony Perkins role ..RossHolloway you should be a casting director. I also agree with the Will Smith casting but not the Beyonce part for reasons I stated above. Gosh if she were 10 years younger Robin Givens would be perfect for this role she has the personality.

I agree with Stephanie about Beyonce. While she might be the biggest star in the world right now, or the hottest singer, her acting ability is modest. Her character in Dreamgirls gave off no vibe at all ~ pretty much dead in the water in a very boring movie that should have been so much more. There are probably better choices for the role.

A cameo for Diana and Joaquin Phoenix as Billy Dee are excellent ideas. Maybe at least Suzanne's assistant looks in here once in a while and could consider the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    The only actress/singer I could possibly see pulling off this role would be Beyonce, and Will Smith in the Billy Dee role, and Joaquin Phoenix in the Anthony Perkins role.
    That is NEVER going to happen as long as Matthew Knowles is alive whether he is managing Beyonce or not!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    RossHolloway had a great idea about Mr Phoenix being in the Anthony Perkins role ..RossHolloway you should be a casting director. I also agree with the Will Smith casting but not the Beyonce part for reasons I stated above. Gosh if she were 10 years younger Robin Givens would be perfect for this role she has the personality.
    Thanks for the compliment. I think that Robin G. is too old - isn't she close to 50? She still looks beautiful but I think she's too old for the part. I only threw out Beyonce's name because I can't think of another singer/actress that could bring attention to that role. Maybe Rihanna could bring some, but I've never seen her act in anything. Ms. Henson doesn't have enough star wattage IMO, at least not for the big screen, maybe if its a made for tv movie then perhaps, but I think she's just missing a certain je ne said quoi as an actress. The role needs to be played by a STAR, not just an actress, but a STAR.

"Meeee! Mahogany!"

"The men love me.
    The women love me.
    Mahogany."

Remakers, proceed with caution.

Do you know where you're go to . . . or what you're getting yourselves into?

"Brian, don't you know who I am!"

"Stick 'em in a mailbox!"

smark21 Guest
    Rhianna is the only potentially plausible candidate for the part. She has an edgy fashion image and she’s very thin and still young enough to play a woman who would be launched as a major model. However I have no idea if she can act or be charismatic in a film role. She’s only one movie so far, an ensemble role in Battleship [[based on the board game) last year and the movie had no impact, positive or negative, on her career. Beyonce would have to do some extreme dieting to get in shape to convince us she’s a high fashion model and she’s pretty much a stiff on screen anyway. Tracy Ross Ellis is nearly 40, she’s too old.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Rhianna is the only potentially plausible candidate for the part. She has an edgy fashion image and she’s very thin and still young enough to play a woman who would be launched as a major model. However I have no idea if she can act or be charismatic in a film role. She’s only one movie so far, an ensemble role in Battleship [[based on the board game) last year and the movie had no impact, positive or negative, on her career. Beyonce would have to do some extreme dieting to get in shape to convince us she’s a high fashion model and she’s pretty much a stiff on screen anyway. Tracy Ross Ellis is nearly 40, she’s too old.
    She is already 40.

Mahogany Remake in the Works: The Diana Ross film to get reboot by Sister, Sister producer

Date: Monday, April 22, 2013 By: BET
    Mahogany Remake in the Works: The Diana Ross film to get reboot by Sister, Sister producer
    Sparkle didn't exactly shine at the box office, but that's not going to stop former Motown executive and super producer Suzanne de Passe from trying to resurrect another classic: Mahogany.

The Sister, Sister producer and her company, De Passe-Jones Entertainment, is working on rebooting the Berry Gordy-directed film, which starred Diana Ross as a Chicago woman who pulls herself out of the slums and pursues a career in fashion. The project was announced nearly a year ago, IndieWire.com's Shadow and Act blog reveals. Advertisement

But de Passe and her partner, Phillip Madison Jones, who are currently producing an adaptation of Star Jones' novel Satan's Sisters and a Martin Luther King Jr. biopic with Steven Spielberg, may have an uphill battle before getting Mahogany to production. It took Whitney Houston and producer Debra Martin Chase nearly 15 years to get Sparkle greenlighted.

In the video below, Chase discusses the long road to bringing Sparkle to the big screen, and why she thinks Mahogany should be next.

How old is Tracy Chambers in "Mahogany"? I believe Diana was 31 at the time she starred in the role.

While Beyonce certainly makes sense [[she is also 31 and has a keen eye for fashion; just look at her lines of clothing), however I think a remake calls for someone younger.

I'll be honest, when I heard about this, the first person I thought of was Raven Symone'.

LOL..............I see something telling in this thread: MARV KNOWS HOW OLD TRACEY ROSS IS!

Even I don't know how old she is, nor am I sure how to spell Tracy/Tracey.

No,no,no you all got it wrong...do this remake right...cecily tyson and morgan freeman...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Now that is not a bad idea and possibly a cameo from Diana and Billy Dee Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Now that is not a bad idea and possibly a cameo from Diana and Billy Dee Williams.
    She’s 40 and most models starting out are in their late teens and I don’t think she can pass for late teens or even early 20s. Not to mention, despite Girlfriends, which has been off the air except in reruns for some time now, she’s hardly a box office name. Rhianna is the most obvious choice. She’s in her mid 20s and has a model-esque body and an edgy fashion reputation. Of course, she may not be able to act or register much in terms of screen presence, outside of a music video. She’s only made one movie, Battleship, based on the board game, which neither hurt or helped her. And thanks to all her hits and her tabloid relationship with Chris Brown, she is a big name.

RossHolloway Guest
    If not Will Smith, maybe Terrance Howard. I think he has a bit more swag than Will and I can see some chemistry between him and Beyonce and him and Rihanna.

Beyoncé doesn't seem to convey a lot of feeling to me; she seems pretty stiff and above it all. But perhaps at times Diana Ross and Whitney Houston seemed the same.

Oh i got it now.....whoopi goldberg and bill cosby???

Show me and this remake death . . . Mahogany!

http://www.thefancarpet.com/ActorGal...1410&a_id=3365

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post
    Show me and this remake death . . . Mahogany!

http://www.thefancarpet.com/ActorGal...1410&a_id=3365
    dba....what a great set of photos...thanks!!!

still think a cameo from Diana and Billy would draw more of an audience.