[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MAHOGANY has always been a mess of a movie for me. I love Ross in it--I thought she really made good on the acting promises she had made in LADY SINGS THE BLUES. I even liked that she used her own designs in the film, although I thought they were uniformly awful--except for what Ross wore herself [[and I always suspected most of her outfits were not her designs).

The Kerry Washington idea is a very good one--but only if the new production team decides to go about business-as-usual. I'm hoping they'll take a more novel approach, a riskier one, and that they'll cast against-type and turn the story on its head and have the Mahogany character end up being a ruthless horror who is alone. If they take the original, hackneyed tagline of "Success is nothing without someone you love to share it with" and simply change it to "Success is . . . everything!", they could be onto something worth watching. And if not, why botha'? The original--as bad as it is--holds up well enough just as it is, and all because of Ross' performance and presence in it. Merely trying to duplicate the movie nearly 40 years later doesn't seem to be on the road to success, as far as I see it.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 04-18-2013 at 05:32 PM.