Putting Beyonce in this role would be a huge mistake. The only reason Dreamgirl did well is the broadway play, the Supremes connection, the Mary Wilson book, and the names of the stars. That moniker "Dreamgirl" has been in the heads of the public for several years. Mahogany was in 1975 and people are not going to identify with it OLDER people 35 and above will but the best thing to make his movie a success would be HEAVY promotion with an actress who can bring some meat to the role. I would pick Robin Givens who I always thought could play Ross. Taraji P Henson, or someone of that ilk. A young black actress who can ACT and do the modeling. Depasse should bring on Tyra Banks as a creative consultant to get the true modeling atmosphere of the picture and let Diana Ross play the owner of the modeling agency. There may be too many comparisons if Tracey Ross were to play the part but I think she could do it. In order to get box office I think Ross should be in it. Im not all that impressed with Beyonce as an actress although I thought she did well in Cadillac Records. Back in 1975 we had not seen a black actress in a modeling montage and in Rome it was a big deal then and Ross pulled it off. I dont think the film has aged well except for Ross fans and Motown fans. Lady Sings the Blues has aged well but Mahogany sounds like camp now its only fun to watch not meaningful. You have Americas Top Model now and everyone has had access to all of this and the catwalk there has to be some meat in this part now. Is it a mistake to do a remake. Not in my opinion IF its done right and Ross has a Cameo and you keep the premise and get a new Mahogany who is younger being trained by the original and passing the torch. Not a remake like Sparkle. I bet the only people who went to see Sparkle were fans of the older movie [[again identity) and Jordin Sparks fans and maybe some Whitney Houston fans. I have always wanted to see a remake of Mahogany but not at the hands of Depasse.