[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Could these gowns be worn on stage today or would they be outdated?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Judging from what is considered "onstage" wardrobe these days, no.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    These gowns are a complete marvel. The women are totally covered in them and yet, at least to me, these are the sexiest gowns I think they ever wore. No skin, no cleavage, all gown. Diana, Mary, and Cindy really worked those gowns but, ultimately, Michael Travis and his exceptional skill and creativity certainly worked it for them. I think he conjured up an absolutely amazing effect. Truly outstanding. When standing still or doing steps, these gowns moved and had a life of their own. And DMC in them were a gorgeous site to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    These gowns are a complete marvel. The women are totally covered in them and yet, at least to me, these are the sexiest gowns I think they ever wore. No skin, no cleavage, all gown. Diana, Mary, and Cindy really worked those gowns but, ultimately, Michael Travis and his exceptional skill and creativity certainly worked it for them. I think he conjured up an absolutely amazing effect. Truly outstanding. When standing still or doing steps, these gowns moved and had a life of their own. And DMC in them were a gorgeous site to behold.
    And people have nerve to compare Beyonce, Kelly and Michelle to Diana, Mary and Cindy...

revvy Guest
    But they weren't really beige, though. In every photo or clip I've seen, they look gray/silver to me, but I'm just not seeing these chandelier gowns the way the rest of you do. There must be something I'm missing. I hope you'll help me to see it. I much prefer the rainbow halter gowns or the ink spots. I also like the peach beaded gowns with the feathers on the bottom and the lightning bolt gowns. The sunburst butterfly gowns were a bit over the top as were those gaudy gold lame numbers they wore on Ed Sullivan for Someday We'll Be Together, but one has to remember the Vegas look was "it" during the late 60s.

I did like the disco mirror ball gowns that Diana, Lynda and Scherrie wore during the opening of Return to Love. I just wish it was Diana, Mary and Cindy in them. The black lace gowns were very elegant as well.
    Last edited by revvy; 05-25-2013 at 03:35 AM.

I think the gowns give off the great illusion of being a "second skin," both in the fit of them and the strategic placement of all the embellishments--the effect being one of bareness while also being completely covered up. For me, the way the gowns have been enhanced by all that's been added on top of the material continually draws the eye to the different parts of their bodies. The Supremes are dressed to the hilt and yet, at the same time, seem to he wearing very little. Almost as if they're wearing something transparent. Anytime I see photos or videos of these gowns--singing REFLECTIONS on a Tennessee Ernie Ford TV special in 1967 is particularly good--I'm simply mesmerized and fascinated by what I'm seeing. No matter how many times I've seen them.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 05-25-2013 at 03:13 AM.

Here' s the "slinky" entrance of Diana in the chandelier gown that I mentioned in my earlier post. And when she pauses just before going onstage.... the camera is behind her and we see just the silhouette of the of the design details of the gown.!!!! So well done! The camera work!! The designer, Michael Travis!!! Aaaaaaaaannd The Dazzling Diana Ross!!

-----Miss Birdsong and Miss Wilson also do a great job workin' those gowns too.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...e_gdata_player

And more!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8xzrJ5C...e_gdata_player

And even MORE phabulosity!!!!!!!!!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ptIAhN7...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 05-25-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post

Certainly these gowns would work onstage today...simply make the fabric transparent/flesh toned... And BAM u got Lady Gaga or whoever. That would have
    been too risqué for 1968

It would work as a red carpet entry gown just as it is in the pic if worn by some young hip girl who appreciates the Classic Old Hollywood Glamour look of a Marlene Dietrich. Say someone like Christina Aguilera or Beyonce's sister Solange Knowles
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 05-25-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Hmmmmmmmm Gowns ? ok I will bite
    The Forever Came Today gowns from Ed Sullivan and the ones on back of Right On. I think they were eventually re-worked and looked horrible.

revvy Guest
    Here is a pic of the knockoff rainbow halter top gowns from Motown: the Musical. These are the actresses who play Diana and Cindy.

Name:  DiCin.jpg
Views: 1841
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  storyboard.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  69.6 KB

supremester Guest
    Revvy, I don't know how old you are, but the gold lame pleated sleeve gowns used to be my fave - and now they are my least fave. They were au courant for 1969 and took the style to it's ultimate conclusion. Now, they suck. Most of the other gowns, to me, still seem timeless even if not timely - except the peach feather dusters from GIT - my least fave gown they ever wore - annd I think they only wore them once. I have come to appreciate the chandelier gowns, but did not back in the day. I loved the green swirl, multi colored halters, Forever Came Today black, and my alltime fave: the GIT Black - which is a tie with Ross' silver chandelier gown from Like Hep. That still blows me away.
    The black RTL gowns are stunning.
    Quote Originally Posted by revvy View Post
    But they weren't really beige, though. In every photo or clip I've seen, they look gray/silver to me, but I'm just not seeing these chandelier gowns the way the rest of you do. There must be something I'm missing. I hope you'll help me to see it. I much prefer the rainbow halter gowns or the ink spots. I also like the peach beaded gowns with the feathers on the bottom and the lightning bolt gowns. The sunburst butterfly gowns were a bit over the top as were those gaudy gold lame numbers they wore on Ed Sullivan for Someday We'll Be Together, but one has to remember the Vegas look was "it" during the late 60s.

I did like the disco mirror ball gowns that Diana, Lynda and Scherrie wore during the opening of Return to Love. I just wish it was Diana, Mary and Cindy in them. The black lace gowns were very elegant as well.

I love so many of the gowns and dresses that The Supremes performed in. I suppose that their theatrical apparel became more intricate and sophisticated as time went on--just as The Supremes themselves did. But the images of them in the earlier days of their meteoric career is how I visualize them. The dresses had a simplistic beauty to them that they turned into something very special just by how they wore them and moved in them. Diana, Mary, and Flo simply could not be ignored--they created an iconic image from the get-go, didn't they?

1. I love how these dress come together at the shoulder--so flattering on them:

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Supremes/+images/158298

2. The wonderful 'balloon' dresses worn at the Apollo--so of the period, so lovely and youthful, but so beautiful because of how they looked in them. Had matching coats, too:

http://newsdesk.si.edu/photos/supremes-apollo-theater

3. Light blue dresses I saw them in at Steel Pier in Atlantic City, 1965. I remember how overwhelmed I was by how gorgeous The Supremes looked in-person:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sJNL4RZP3W...e+Supremes.jpg

4. The famous 'lampshade' dresses--one of several. But we referred to them as 'the wedding cake' dresses because of the tiered layering. Usually shown as being pink--but they were actually pale blue:

http://raresoul.com/wp-content/uploa...s2-300x235.jpg

5. The knitted 2-piece outfits from THE T.A.M.I. SHOW--unexpected but so perfect-looking on them; just right for the show:

http://kpbs.media.clients.ellingtonc...969377bec8c5c0

6. And, of course, they could do-no-wrong in anything and everything Empire:

http://carlanthonyonlinedotcom.files...pg?w=614&h=772

7. Would I leave out the famous layered shimmy dresses? Not me. Maybe not the prettiest of dresses--but these dresses danced to the music, so they couldn't help but delight:

http://www.whale.to/c/queen_39.jpg

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  66.0 KB
    Does anyone know when the sleeve was added to the TCB swirl gown or is this a different gown ?

Captainjames - I've heard this is from 1981:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl61V-9uDi4

revvy Guest
    The neck scarf has also been removed. I saw this gown up close at one of the Hard Rock Cafes. It definitely shows its age. I flipped when I first saw it on TV in 1968! I have to say Cindy looked the best in it, although Lynda Laurence does have a banging figure as well and filled out that gown nicely.
    Last edited by revvy; 06-05-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Those gowns were first seen by me on TCB and I thought Cindy, Mary and Diana wore them well. I remember thinking when those bodies walked on that glass stage in those outfits thinking ...................................DAYUMN

In the spirit of objectivity, I feel compelled to mention a real fashion misstep--maybe not a gown but worthy of 'dishonorable mention':

The pink velveteen 'blood clot' pajamas/pantsuits on The Ed Sullivan Show for I'M LIVIN' IN SHAME, 1969. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Agreed.

Hopefully this set went up in smoke in "the fire".

I thought I remember Mary said once in an TV interview in the 70's, that some designer named Susie Creamcheese did some of their gowns.....honestly, I wasn't smoking anything! Has anyone else heard of this person?

I thought I remember Mary said once in an TV interview in the 70's, that some designer named Susie Creamcheese did some of their gowns.....honestly, I wasn't smoking anything! Has anyone else heard of this person?
    She designed gowns for Dionne Warwick.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She designed gowns for Dionne Warwick.
    Thanks, Reese. I wonder which gowns she did for the 70 Supremes?

Thanks, Reese. I wonder which gowns she did for the 70 Supremes?
    Re: Suzie/Suzy/Susie Creamcheese

http://magsrags.myshopify.com/blogs/...eese-loves-you

Thanks, Mary. I always wondered about this person. In the TV interview with Mary, which was in the 70's, she made a brief mention that Susie Creamcheese did some of their gowns. Still wonder which ones?