[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Shirley Gunter

Shirley Gunter

I know Shirley [[born in 1934; Coffeyville, Kansas) started off way back in the 50's and was soon singing / recording with the Queens.
    She's Cornell's sister and also recorded with the Flairs plus as a solo artist. On one of her solo releases [[in the late 50's) she was backed up by the Blossoms.
    By the mid 60's, she was a veteran in the business and was signed to Ray Charles TRC set-up [[Tangerine Records).
    She cut "Stuck Up" for TRC and this was released in 1965 / 66 with a re-issue escaping at the very end of the 60's [[I guess because ABC were putting a renewed push behind the label that year).
    Attachment 1474
    The song was written by Chester & Gary Pitkin and was published by Jobete [[I guess it had been written a couple of years earlier). Anyone know if there are other versions of the song [[perhaps a Motown version even) and the details of how Shirley came to cut it.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  21.1 KB
    Those are misprints. They were Chester and Gary Pipkin, who wrote for L.A.'s Jobete Music office in 1963-1965. Tangerine 951 also had The Valaquons recording another L.A. Jobete song "Window shopping On Girls' Avenue" written by The Pipkin Brothers along with Marc Gordon. Cleary, Ray Charles' Tangerine staff had some knowledge of the L.A. Jobete songs. Maybe the connection was some of Ray's new Raelettes' group members having had sung demo cuts for Marc Gordon, Frank Wilson and Hal Davis at L.A. Jobete? I think "Window Shopping" was cut by The Messengers at Motown. But, I don't remember a Motown recording of "Stuck Up".

Thanks for that Robb.

The Messengers' "Window Shopping" is an R.Dean Taylor song - nothing to do with The Valaquons