[REMOVE ADS]

Sad Times for Dionne Warwick

I was checking local news and found this

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._river_default

Couldn't she have predicted that this would happen eventually? But seriously, the article says "negligent and gross financial mismanagement" . Her career has made her lots of money. Entertainers have to devote a certain amount of time each week to the business part of their careers and make sure that everything is above board. It is almost impossible to get out of a hole once the IRS steps in with interest and penalty charges. And I wonder if IRS debt is like school loan debt in that it never goes away even if you go bankrupt.

It is sad news to see a star of her magnitude go bankrupt.

Did she ever have a husband manage her career? That is usually bad news. Ask Gladys Knight, Mary WIlson, Melba Moore, Doris Day and so many others.

You know Weldon M once told me that people [[fans) think that because someone can sing they should have perfect relationships or know about money. Im not shocked by this because if you have accountants and you are just out there singing you dont know what is going on. I read somewhere this is not the first time she has filed for bankruptcy. She did make a lot of money with the psychic network I wonder where that went. Poor Dionne.

A generalization, but many entertainers do not know about money. And their education may have been secondary to their career. But they do have to spend more time on the BUSINESS part of the ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS. And they need to have the right people around them and then keep an eye on them. Sometimes you gotta watch the guy managing your money or he will manage to take it for himself.

Someone like MC HAMMER had a big entourage on his payroll of all his friends. They took, took, took and when he had no more to give, they abandoned him.

it is just outrageous to me that she would be "broke"...with her record sales, concert & club dates ect.If any of you can ever see the movie "Slaves" that Dionne was in early 70's...she really could act.I always thought that she could be a real movie star.I heard that she did not like the movie making process .

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    it is just outrageous to me that she would be "broke"...with her record sales, concert & club dates ect.If any of you can ever see the movie "Slaves" that Dionne was in early 70's...she really could act.I always thought that she could be a real movie star.I heard that she did not like the movie making process .
    She's not broke. She just pays out more than she takes in. More than likely, she was not smart enough to have the right people manage her finances; And she probably didn't watch her own financial matters. It's called show Business. She's known for lavish living and spending and it caught up with her as it does most others. But this is tax problems. She owes penalties and interest for not handling her taxes.
    She's 70 something and she is not working as much as she used to. She has also seen this kind of thing happen to other entertainers. She should have known better.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-26-2013 at 02:00 PM.

People think that because an artist makes records they are rich or because they make large sums a concerts at once time they are rich even though they don't work regularly. Even their families think they have tons of money which is totally false.

Most recording artist "will" end up broke either because of the dirty music industry ruining their career or not giving them that shot or because they reached a certain plateu and can't make it any higher or because their music has become outdated or because they become a certain age and are no longer hired but.... they still have to survive. OH BTW, there are still record companies that refuse to pay artists their royalties and ignore the lawyers.

Majority of the artists who have big names and made millions will become broke too without properly managing their money. If they don't pay their taxes and just keep spending their money living like fools then the IRS will catch up to them eventually!
    So the majority of recording artists will end up in trouble.

Hundreds of musicians 'everyday' call the industry organizations seeking financial help, they can't keep up with them all. It's unreal!!!
    I heard things have gotten so bad that musicians are now cutting each other with low fees and working for very little, that's how bad the music scene has gotten. They are throwing away their value just to make a few dollars to survive.

This is a business that only a very "few" can make a good living at. Just ask around.
    Sad for both the fans & the artist's.

S.S.

It sounds like Ms. Dionne didn't pay her taxes for a long time in California. This is not a new problem. This has dogged her for a few years now. It didn't just happen. She owes the IRS for penalities and interest on an outstanding tax issue that went unsettled for a time. She reached an agreement about paying some of the back taxes, but the interest and penalties kept piling up. Royalties don't appear to be the issue here. Paying her taxes was the issue. Artists of Ms. Warwick's era don't have the money people think they should, but they don't deserve a pass for ducking the tax man or hiding or underreporting earnings. Her situation is the same old song. An entertainer hires a business manager who doesn't take care of business but cleans out all of the client's accounts.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-26-2013 at 03:34 PM.

I have amazing respect for Dionne as an artist and cannot imagine that ever changing. Even when she has received criticism over the years [[Psychic Friends network, hip hop controversy, the pot bust, etc.) I still assumed that she was a good person at heart and that she would always have her fan base behind her.

This sort of thing will certainly not do her any good publicity-wise, but I assume it will not devastate her either. If there are other unscrupulous people who have put her in this position, I hope they can and will be held accountable so that it doesn't make it look as if she was a criminal.

At least one of her psychic friends should have warned her that this would happen. What good is being psychic if you keep the important information to yourself and don't share it with friends.

@Jim,
    LMAO...HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! !!

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    At least one of her psychic friends should have warned her that this would happen. What good is being psychic if you keep the important information to yourself and don't share it with friends.
    That was bad, as bad as some of the other jokes I've heard about this: DON'T Tax Me Over and Do You Know the Way to Bankruptcy Court ? and Now we know why Dionne Warwick doesn't live in San Jose...she didn't pay her taxes.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-27-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    That was bad, as bad as some of the other jokes I've heard about this: DON'T Tax Me Over and Do You Know the Way to Bankruptcy Court ? and Now we know why Dionne Warwick doesn't live in San Jose...she didn't pay her taxes.
    Even the NY DAILY NEWS is getting into the act. Look at their front page today
    Name:  DW.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  64.6 KB

According to the Daily News, Dionne Warwick, who earned millions of dollars across a half-century of stardom, now lives on a paltry $10 a month once her bills are paid off.

She is almost broke, with only $1,000 in her bank account and a staggering $10.7 million in debts. She owns almost nothing from her high-flying past. She claims just $ 25,500 in assets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...#ixzz2Ol1O0JyA

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    According to the Daily News, Dionne Warwick, who earned millions of dollars across a half-century of stardom, now lives on a paltry $10 a month once her bills are paid off.

She is almost broke, with only $1,000 in her bank account and a staggering $10.7 million in debts. She owns almost nothing from her high-flying past. She claims just $ 25,500 in assets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...#ixzz2Ol1O0JyA
    I would not be surprised if her true assets are in her sons names and others stashed away in Brazil. I'm just sayin'.....................

Isn't Dionne Warwick supposed to be one of those Scientologists? You know, L. Ron Hubbard's group? Many famous people are, including Al Jarreau and John Travolta.

smark21 Guest
    I’ve never heard anything about Dionne Warwick being a scientologist. But doesn’t she have a history of shady business dealings which she always blames on a corrupt business manager. Remember all those allegations about how she raided the funds of her AIDS charity to pamper herself?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I’ve never heard anything about Dionne Warwick being a scientologist. But doesn’t she have a history of shady business dealings which she always blames on a corrupt business manager. Remember all those allegations about how she raided the funds of her AIDS charity to pamper herself?
    No , that's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I remember watching the DAY ONE report on Dionne's fundraising activities and cringing. But I don't remember her being accused of raiding the funds. The way I remember it, Dionne's organization would offer to put on fundraisers for various organizations, and promise to provide top talent. There would be expenses for first-class hotels, musicians, meals, drivers, etc., and by the time these were paid, little would be left over for the charity. There was also at least one complaint of less than top-rate talent.

Here's a question a few of my students asked. If Burt Bacharach or whoever owns the publishing on some of Ms. Dionne's hits do they have a moral obligation to break her off some money? My students argue that songs like Walk On By would not have been hits if it were not for Dionne's voice.

Hi Kamasu,
    I still think those classic songs would have been hits with a decent singer on it, male or female.

S.S.

Here's a question a few of my students asked. If Burt Bacharach or whoever owns the publishing on some of Ms. Dionne's hits do they have a moral obligation to break her off some money? My students argue that songs like Walk On By would not have been hits if it were not for Dionne's voice.
    In a sense, they did share. When she sued them in the 70s, I think one of the end results was that they ended up co-owning her Scepter catalog. Unless I'm mistaken, the trio sold the catalog to Warners a while back.

Other than that, I don't think Bacharach owes her anything more. She certainly became the voice of their sound, but they had a hits on other vocalists as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I remember watching the DAY ONE report on Dionne's fundraising activities and cringing. But I don't remember her being accused of raiding the funds. The way I remember it, Dionne's organization would offer to put on fundraisers for various organizations, and promise to provide top talent. There would be expenses for first-class hotels, musicians, meals, drivers, etc., and by the time these were paid, little would be left over for the charity. There was also at least one complaint of less than top-rate talent.
    That is true......

Iconic Dionne Warwick!

Shouldn't she fall under the "too big to fail" concept?

Our gov't should just as rightfully bail her out too!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-28-2013 at 09:19 PM.

smark21 Guest
    That’s right…funds raised for the charity were used to pay for Dionne’s expenses, but she was living large and lavishly when she did her fundraising appearances and performances so money that should have gone to aid those in need went to pay for Dionne’s first class plane tickets, expensive hotel suites and the like. I also now remember her scheme in 2009 to host an inaugural Obama ball for charity. The ball didn’t sell that many tickets, so she cancelled, but no refunds were offered and Dionne blamed, yet again, a crooked business manager. She likes to recycle the same excuse, doesn’t she? She may be an excellent singer, but she’s ethically challenged, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Iconic Dionne Warwick!

Shouldn't she fall under the "too big to fail" concept?

Our gov't should just as rightfully bail her out too!!
    In a sense, the government is probably gonna allow her to walk away without paying the $10 million in interest and penalties. She is making payments on the back taxes. The IRS will most likely discharge the rest of what she owes.

Bacharach's songs would have been hits no matter what. If nothing else, Dusty could have made hits out of much of their catalog, if Dionne had not been around.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In a sense, they did share. When she sued them in the 70s, I think one of the end results was that they ended up co-owning her Scepter catalog. Unless I'm mistaken, the trio sold the catalog to Warners a while back.

Other than that, I don't think Bacharach owes her anything more. She certainly became the voice of their sound, but they had a hits on other vocalists as well.
    Reese, that sounds about right and logical. At one time, Burt, Hal David and Dionne owned their catalog and masters and sold them to Warners. All three probably had to agree to the sale. So what did she do with that money?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-28-2013 at 11:20 PM.

All of you guys that are American are paying Dionne's back taxes; what she and others that go bankrupt don't pay, the rest of you do.

The same kind of procedure happens in Canada.

After reading the Telegraph's report of income & expenses, all I can say is..........

REALLY?!

S.S.

If the Telegraph is accurate in it's reporting, $5,000 a month for rent seems excessive. But it is New Jersey, so I don't know. Ms. Dionne spends about $500.00 a month on food. Really? What Army is she feeding? Cause she doesn't look like she eats a lot. The housecleaning expense seems high too. Those sons, their girlfriends and grandkids could pick up and run the sweeper and do some errands too. That would save some money.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 04-02-2013 at 09:32 AM.

If the Telegraph is accurate in it's reporting, $5,000 a month for rent seems excessive. But it is New Jersey, so I don't know. Ms. Dionne spends about $500.00 a month on food. Really? What Army is she feeding? Cause she doesn't look like she eats a lot. The housecleaning expense seems high too. Those sons, their girlfriends and grandkids could pick up and run the sweeper and do some errands too. That would save some money.
    Miss Dionne Warwick need to pay her taxes like every other law abiding US Citizen IMO.
    Id be real real happy to live on $25000 a month.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Miss Dionne Warwick need to pay her taxes like every other law abiding US Citizen IMO.
    Id be real real happy to live on $25000 a month.

Roberta
    Its not as simple as you see IT!!! A bookkeeping error and/or not consumating a lease agreement can put you in this position!!! BELIEVE ME!!

Give me a break. Who the hell has a 1,000$ electric bill?

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Give me a break. Who the hell has a 1,000$ electric bill?
    Steven Speilberg averages $1,800 a month electric at his home in East Hampton! I saw it with my own eyes! LOL!