[REMOVE ADS]

Teachig Kids Their Musical Heritage and History

Hello,

I do not post here as much anymore so sorry but I will introduce myself or reconnect with others who know my story and sorry if you must read it again. I am an inner city high school teacher from Toronto who 23 years ago started a program called, "A Salute to Our Musical Heritage" so that 'my kids' could learn about those who paved the way musically for them. We have been BLESSED since with original group members of Temptations, Drifters, Vandellas, Marvelettes, Harptones, Dells, B.B. King, etc. speaking to 'my kids' and in most cases, meeting in person.

I am a teacher so I am going to lecture....

For the past while, I have read posts about certain people not getting respect in life or death. Then, I have read that youth do not know about the artists we respect and there is disappointment. Please do not write back and say angry things to me but it is your fault. Unless you tell youth with a simple, "listen to this" then they will never know. I have to tell you that I do a lot of "listen to this" with any and every older R+B/Soul artist and thank goodness for Youtube. Most kids do not know Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight, Sam Cooke, etc. until I play it for them and then talk about them. Then, they start to like it and ask questions.

Honestly, please try it with a grandchild, nephew/niece, kid and play some music that you want them to remember. Chances are pretty good that if you sell it, they will like it. If they ask questions then me as a teacher, I can help you answer them.

I have responded to a thread like this before and I did not like it so go easy on me as I am HONESTLY trying to help.

My name is Tim - Satipe comes from my mother yelling my name with my siblings Sara, Tim, Pete so she would just yell Satipe

I agree. I see where you are coming from. But we also have to remember, the younger generation is two or three generations removed from some of the music legends we celebrate on the forum. Some kids can't relate to Big Maybelle or Etta James....just like some of us couldn't relate to Leadbelly or Fats WALLER. Each year changes for me. I have students who are eager to learn and i've had students who would tune me out if I tried to lecture or educate them on some music legend. I have found if I challenge one of my students that if they really want to sing or play some piece, they should look to the past and see who did it before them and then find a way to do it their way. It also depends on how serious a student is about music or having a career in music. I expect more from my students who want careers in music. I am tougher on them.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-24-2013 at 08:52 PM.

I also want to add that older folk can't make young kids feel like the music they like is junk or not valid. It turns them off and they don't hear anything you say. I do agree about playing some classic music for youngsters and letting them determine if they like something or not.