[REMOVE ADS]

Delightful Dusty goes "Motown" on Dick Clark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMcRQ-Ur1ko Stay Awhile--have always loved this song--just wish it was longer--I think it was 1:58!! Listen to her interview too.

I always thought Stay Awhile sounded more like a Spector production than Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I always thought Stay Awhile sounded more like a Spector production than Motown.
    I agree. Reminds me more of Spector's Wall of Sound. Loved the part of her choreography where she is playing along with the string section.

Always loved her music. Recently saw a musical off-broadway about her life that featured many of her songs. It wasn't on the grand scale of Motown The Musical, but it was very good and packed a lot of info and songs into ninety minutes.

Forever Dusty
    New World Stages Stage 5

Her music spoke to a generation, but her life was another story.

Synopsis:
    Forever Dusty tells the dramatic, revealing story of how a shy Irish Catholic school girl from West London transformed herself into the voice of blue eyed soul, the face of Swinging London, and a worldwide superstar -- the legendary Dusty Springfield.

Show Dates:
    Performances from 11 Nov 2012
    Opening 18 Nov 2012
    Closing Open-Ended
    Performance Schedule:

Monday at 7pm
    Wednesday at 2:30pm and 7pm
    Thursday and Friday at 8pm
    Saturday at 2:30pm and 8pm
    Sunday at 3pm

Tickets:
    Pricing: $69 - $110
    Box Office: Tele-charge: [[212) 239-6200
    Outside NY: [[800) 432-7250

Show Run Time:
    90 minutes [[no intermission)
    Theatre Information:
    New World Stages Stage 5
    340 West 50th Street
    [[between Eighth and Ninth Avenues)
    New York, NY 10019
    US

Genre:
    Musical

Cast List:
    Kirsten Holly Smith
    Christina Sajous
    Coleen Sexton
    Benim Foster
    Sean Patrick Hopkins

Production Credits:
    Directed by Randal Myler

Other Credits:
    Book by: Kirsten Holly Smith & Jonathan Vankin

Interesting. There's been talk of a film on Dusty, but it hasn't happened. I'm bummed that most of her recorded material has been exhausted- nothing coming as far as I know. I wish she had recorded the Crying Game. She would have nailed it.

I wish she had recorded the Crying Game. She would have nailed it.

Wow....never thought of that one. You're right....she would have nailed it.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  21.1 KB
    To ME "Stay Awhile" is a Spectorish "Wall-of-Sound" type song, rather than a "Motownish" sound. Dusty sang some "Motownish" songs, but this wasn't one. "I Only Want To Be With You" was very soulful. But, even that wasn't really like a Motown song.

she adored Motown..one of the biggest highlights of her life was getting to be a Vandella for a night..she loved 'Hitchhike' and her contribution to breaking Motown into the UK Market by using her influence to get the "Ready Steady Go." speacil televised cant be underestimated..she was haunted by the demise of Flo Ballard and lived in fear the same thing would happen to her...mecurial in the studio she would agonise over every phrase and inflection in every note she sung..so sad she spent many years as a recluse,a serious alcoholic tormented by her sexuality...