[REMOVE ADS]

RossHolloway Guest

Jr. Walker & The All Stars Live at the Ram Jam Club London 1967!

Stumbled across this and what a find! I've never seen this clip before!! Can anyone identify all the musicians?

thomas96 Guest
    I love this clip. I believe it's James Graves on drums and Willie Woods on guitar. Not sure about the others

RossHolloway Guest
    Thanks for the info on James and Willie. Do you have any idea what the lead song is? Don't think I've heard it before.

My. My. My. Absolutely sensational clip, Ross. Watching Junior workin' that sax is just astounding--like it's merely an extension of himself, just another part of his body. And that face! And voice! And seeing him dance--being so alive! This video makes my heart ache because he left us much too soon, yet gave us so much while he was here. So the clip also makes my heart soar at the same time. Beautiful, thrilling clip, Ross. Many, many thanks.

RossHolloway Guest
    @Methuselah2 - You're welcome. I love stumbling across clips like these on youtube. I can only imagine what it would have been like to have seen this group live in concert.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Thanks for the info on James and Willie. Do you have any idea what the lead song is? Don't think I've heard it before.
    I have a feeling it's an unreleased song. I think I remember seeing him perform the same song live somewhere else. [[the clip may be on youtube I don't remember which though) But other than that I've never heard it before, and I don't think it's on any of his albums before '67. It could be a b-side. Not sure though, but it's bugging me since it's a great song.

Wow, the best find for a long time.... the video quality is superb considering how long ago this was shot.... I saw him in the UK when he wore a lilac suit, the memories come flooding back.....he was unique! Ross, take a bow for finding this!!!!

And why not another listen........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub72eylahJg

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    And why not another listen........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub72eylahJg
    This song stops me in my tracks every time I hear it. I absolutely love the intro to this tune, it makes me both happy and sad at the same time when I listen to this song.

RossHolloway Guest
    Wow, the best find for a long time.... the video quality is superb considering how long ago this was shot.... I saw him in the UK when he wore a lilac suit, the memories come flooding back.....he was unique! Ross, take a bow for finding this!!!!
    You're welcome! I know there are still plenty of Jr. Walker & The All Star fans out there. I live for stuff like this.

RossHolloway Guest
    Until You Come Back to Me - Jr. Walker's beautiful version. Someone remind me again why he doesn't have a complete boxset yet??

Some very interesting history on Junior & the band:

http://michiganrockandrolllegends.co...-the-all-stars

thomas96 Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guoNxDj36Uw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46kWF3E0-Pc

Jr. & the All Stars are probably my favorite motown act. Glad there are other fans out there still!

RossHolloway Guest
    That is a well written bio on Jr Walker.

Does anyone know how Jr. Walker was regarded in jazz circles? I sometimes wonder if his Motown association hurt his credibility, so to speak, and people thought of him as a "Motown artist" rather than a "jazz artist."

Any opinions?

He's definitely due for a full box set treatment! I love his stuff especially the "Do You See My Love" period, although I understand singing was not his favorite.

Just a link to a shot of one of Motown's most beautiful, eye-catching album covers--1971's RAINBOW FUNK:

http://www.parisdjs.com/images/cover...bow_Funk_b.jpg

And the album inside matches it note by note.

absolutely fantastic clip, thanks for this

nothing to add but to echo the ' where's the box set ????' pleas

i have the 'nothin but soul' cd double from way back but junior deserves more !

Hip-O, ACE and Spectrum have trawled the depths of the vaults between them and given us some incredibly obscure music over the years. Yet there are still many Jr Walker albums yet to be digitised. How on earth has such a valuable part of Motowns legacy been overlooked so far? It is quite unbelievable.

RossHolloway Guest
    Back Street Boogie on CD. I've never seen this album before nor heard any fans discuss it either. The notes say it was released in 1979, post-Motown I believe and includes the minor hit Wishing on A Star.
    http://www.amazon.com/Back-Street-Bo...ef=pd_sim_m_18

Ross, I found out about it a couple of years ago shortly before it was rereleased on CD. It's okay, but not one of my absolute favorites. Junior actually had one additional album on Motown, Blow The House Down, in 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Back Street Boogie on CD. I've never seen this album before nor heard any fans discuss it either. The notes say it was released in 1979, post-Motown I believe and includes the minor hit Wishing on A Star.
    http://www.amazon.com/Back-Street-Bo...ef=pd_sim_m_18
    It was produced by Norman Whitfield for Whitfield Records. I wonder if the "Wishing on a Star" is the same as the Rose Royce song, a group he produced also.

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Street-Bo...mm_vnl_title_0

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    It was produced by Norman Whitfield for Whitfield Records. I wonder if the "Wishing on a Star" is the same as the Rose Royce song, a group he produced also.

I believe that it is.

RossHolloway Guest
    Has anyone else heard about Cornelius Grant Jr. Walker tribute?

RossHolloway Guest
    Let's try that one more time!

RossHolloway Guest
    Still Water - Jr. Walker & the Allstars. Very very nice version.

RossHolloway Guest
    EXCELLENT version of Wishing on a STAR.

Seems some aren't familiar with Junior's Whitfield release.. here's the artwork and labels on UK release. Zoom on the art work and you will see the Whitfield Records crew including Spyder Turner, Wha Wha Watson, Jack Ashford, Eddie "Bongo" Brown and Stargard. I'll upload some tracks if any interest.....
    Name:  P1000712.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  95.6 KB
    Name:  P1000713.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  94.1 KBName:  P1000715.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  89.8 KBName:  P1000714.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  90.9 KB

RossHolloway Guest
    @Mikew-UK - I'd love to hear some of his Whitfield releases. How many albums did he do for the label?

Just the one, Ross. I'll upload some tracks in the next day or so.... cheers, Mike
    2967 - Method to the Madness - The Undisputed Truth [1976] [[1/77)
    3019 - Nytro - Nytro [1977]
    3074 - In Full Bloom - Rose Royce [1977] [[8/77)
    3124 - Music Web - Spyder Turner [1978]
    3171 - Mammatapee! - Mammatapee [1980]
    3202 - Smokin' - Undisputed Truth [1979]
    3226 - In Tune - Willie Hutch [1978] [[11/78)
    3227 - Rose Royce Strikes Again! - Rose Royce [1978] [[9/78)
    3275 - Return to Nytropolis - Nytro [1979]
    3331 - Back Street Boogie - Junior Walker [1979]
    3352 - Midnight Dancer - Willie Hutch [1979]
    3387 - Rainbow Connection IV - Rose Royce [1979] [[9/79)
    3389 - The Girl's Alright with Me - Masterpiece [1980]
    3397 - Only Love - Spyder Turner [1980]
    3457 - Greatest Hits - Rose Royce [1980]
    3510 - On the One - Mammatapee [1980]
    3512 - Golden Touch - Rose Royce [1981] [[1/81)
    3620 - Jump Street - Rose Royce [1981]

Here's the link. You'll see the Whitfield album tracks amidst other tracks. I was surprised to see that Junior released the Blow The House Down album in 1983, 4 years AFTER the Whitfield Records release. So he went back to Motown from Whitfield. I do note however that Norman Whitfield produced some of the tracks on BTHD so he too returned to Motown. Russ Terrana mixed and edited the Blow The House Down album.

http://mikew-uk.podomatic.com/

RossHolloway Guest
    Here's the link. You'll see the Whitfield album tracks amidst other tracks. I was surprised to see that Junior released the Blow The House Down album in 1983, 4 years AFTER the Whitfield Records release. So he went back to Motown from Whitfield. I do note however that Norman Whitfield produced some of the tracks on BTHD so he too returned to Motown. Russ Terrana mixed and edited the Blow The House Down album.

http://mikew-uk.podomatic.com/
    Thanks for posting those clips! I'm listening now!!

I posed this question in a different Jr. Walker thread but never got a response, so I'm asking it again. Maybe RossHolloway or others who have read up on Jr. more than I have know the answer.

What was Jr. Walker's reputation in jazz circles? I always wondered if that fact that he seems to be underrated stems from the fact that he recorded for Motown, a label not ordinarily associated with Jazz. Does anyone know how he was considered by real Jazz aficionados, either then or now?

http://jazzusa.com/junior-walker-revival/

JUNIOR WALKER REVIVAL

A Jr. Walker and the all Stars Revival
    Jazz Meets Motown
    by Sidney Bechet-Mandela
    Suddenly, the music of the classic Motown act, Jr. Walker and the All-Stars is showing up on a number of albums. Within the last month, three sax players, Eddie M, Richard Elliot, and David McMurray have paid homage to the late saxophonist and vocalist with inspiring covers of his hits. While it’s way overdue for contemporary jazz saxophonists to realize the influence Walker had on combining funk with pop and jazz rhythms, it is nonetheless satisfying to hear the tributes. If you’re a fan of Walker’s check these out.

Eddie M., the young sax man, most recently seen touring with vocalist Eric Benet, has re-recorded Walker’s biggest hit, What Does It Takes [[To Win Your Love For Me), on his second album. The eponymous release features vocalist Karyn White handling the lead vocals on the track.. A few years ago, saxophonist Candy Dulfer breathed new life into this classic with Jonathan Butler handling the lead. This version is even hotter.

Richard Elliot’s new album is called Crush, which is a misnomer because he’s only hitting hard on just a few tunes, including a remake of Walker’s first big pop hit, Shotgun. The track features killer guitar work from both Jeff Golub and ex-Rufus front man, Tony Maiden.

Dave McMurray has the Jr. Walker and the All-Stars tour de force with two of the fourteen tracks from his new Soul Searching cd being covers of Walker’s jazzy hits. Like Walker, McMurray is from Michigan and like the late sax man he has a biting edge to his sax sound. On Walk In The Night, he featured the Motor City’s very underrated background trio, the Ridgeway Sisters, and McMurray just nails Cleo’s Mood. Both are highlights from this very tasteful album.

It’s not too late for other sax players to jump on this Jr. Walker & The All Stars revival, because he had enough hits for Boney James, David Sanborn, Gerald Albright and a few other saxophonists to work with. There’s still Roadrunner, Cleo’s Back, These Eyes and a few more to tackle. We’d love to hear them. Until then the Jr. Walker Motown anthology will suffice.

RossHolloway Guest
    @kennethh - I've never read anything about how jazz musicians thought about Jr. Walker, but it seems a number of jazz artist [[sax players) have covered some of his tunes thru the years. I ran across this article that I found interesting.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/17299-...on-soul-jerkin

@RossHollway, Wow what a great article! That really makes me want to hear Don Byron's LP. Thanks so much, Ross!

thomas96 Guest
    I posed this question in a different Jr. Walker thread but never got a response, so I'm asking it again. Maybe RossHolloway or others who have read up on Jr. more than I have know the answer.

What was Jr. Walker's reputation in jazz circles? I always wondered if that fact that he seems to be underrated stems from the fact that he recorded for Motown, a label not ordinarily associated with Jazz. Does anyone know how he was considered by real Jazz aficionados, either then or now?
    Kenneth, most of my buddies who are into jazz don't know of Junior at all. I've tried to show them but they weren't so into the "gutbucket" music he was playing so they kind of shrugged it off. I bet that's the case with a lot of jazzmen, but I would bet that everyone who does know him has respect for him. Generally jazz musicians and listeners respect all kinds of music. Or at least I would hope they do!

RossHolloway Guest
    @RossHollway, Wow what a great article! That really makes me want to hear Don Byron's LP. Thanks so much, Ross!
    No problem. Here's a link to Don Byron's album from Amazon.com, you can listen to sound clips of all the tracks. He even does a cover of Satan's Blues, one of my favorite tracks by Jr Walker & The AllStars.

http://www.amazon.com/Do-Boomerang-M...+the+boomerang

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Kenneth, most of my buddies who are into jazz don't know of Junior at all. I've tried to show them but they weren't so into the "gutbucket" music he was playing so they kind of shrugged it off. I bet that's the case with a lot of jazzmen, but I would bet that everyone who does know him has respect for him. Generally jazz musicians and listeners respect all kinds of music. Or at least I would hope they do!
    That's interesting. Thanks for passing that on.

Jr. really is deserving of a great thorough treatment by Hip-O. I hope he gets it soon.

RossHolloway Guest
    That's interesting. Thanks for passing that on.

Jr. really is deserving of a great thorough treatment by Hip-O. I hope he gets it soon.
    I would love to see a complete box set done on Jr Walker & The Allstars, I know there aren't many/any unreleased tracks by Jr. but I'm sure there are some unreleased Live concert that are just begging to be released.