[REMOVE ADS]

Why can't Cubie and the 5 Stairsteps be on "Unsung"?

Ok, I'm listening to Majic 105.7...I never understood why the 5 Stairsteps haven't been on Unsung [[listening to "oooh-child" right now on the "radd-ee-oh").....And who was it that made a tv commercial with that song sung by another artist? I thought it was rather nice, and have been trying to find it to download [[off Itunes)..

I saw on the internet a couple of months ago what they've been doing thru the years.....I don't think Cubie sings anymore.....But it was interesting how he became part of the group in the first place....I wish I knew what website I saw this on - if I can find it again, I'll come back and post it here...

There should be a story on the Burke's [[First Family of Soul), with Clarence on lead in 1965, `66, & `67 they were the best kiddie group eva!!!

S.S.

Yup, and I couldn't agree with ya more SS!! One of the websites I saw was this one:

http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Stairsteps.html

I'm still trying to find the other one....

Getting onto Unsung isn't entirely up to TV-One. A lot of artists [[see Stephanie Mills) refuse to do the show because they don't want the "unsung" tag attached to them.

I think they would make a good subject. I never quite knew what became of them after The Invisible Man's Band.

One of my favorite all time groups. Saw them at the Uptown as well and got a chance to talk with Clarence about 4 years ago during an internet radio interview.

Clarence has been performing in New York, Keni is overseas. The prospect of them getting back together has only been in the talking stages for the past two years.

Quote Originally Posted by mellow_q View Post
    Getting onto Unsung isn't entirely up to TV-One. A lot of artists [[see Stephanie Mills) refuse to do the show because they don't want the "unsung" tag attached to them.
    I think Melloe Q is right. Last I heard, the Stairsteps did not want to do Unsung.

I know that 43 minutes is not enough time to tell the entire story of a band, but I love "Unsung". TV-One is missing the boat by not putting the first two seasons out on DVD.

I personally would like to see them do one on Tavares.

They really are one of the first families of Soul its a shame that they dont want to do this.
    Stephanie ps they have a HUGE following.

Keni released various solo albums/singles, during and after the Invisible Man's Band, including tracks such as "Let Somebody Love You" and "Rising To The Top", both on RCA Records. Somewhere in the late 80s or in the 90s, he released another solo album in the UK [[might have been on Expansion Records), where he was always quite a popular artist, appearing there on soul festivals/weekenders and also recently appearing on the german Baltic Soul festival/weekender.

Cubie Burke released a boogie-funk single "Down For The Double" in 1982 on the independent Rissa Chrissa label.

Day Askey Burke appeared during the late-70s/early-80s as either a writer and/or background singer for various artists such as The Brothers Johnson, Leroy Hutson and others.