[REMOVE ADS]

18 years since Eddie Kendricks passed away

It doesn't seem like it's been that long, but it was Oct. 5, 1992, that Eddie passed away following a battle with lung cancer.

A question for the masses.....Favorite Eddie Kendricks verse in a Temptations song?

I've always been partial to the opening of "Just My Imagination," just because I have a lot of good memories related to that song and that verse just sets up the tune so breathtakingly well. Too bad that was Eddie's last single with the group.

http://spinningsoul.com/2010/10/eddiekendricksrip/
    Last edited by spinningsoul; 10-04-2010 at 10:41 PM.

pshark Guest
    It sure doesn't seem that long ago. But that wasn't his last single with the Temps.
    You forgot about Standing On The Top. I'm not sure if there were any singles released after that

Nice, just a few to pass the time, 18 years dam.......

1)
    The way you treat me it just isn't fair.
    You make it so plain you just don't care.
    You have a ball around town.
    Sleepless nights are getting me down.
    Girl, girl, girl why you wanna make me blue?

2)
    when i visit at her home
    other fellas never, never ring her phone
    she let's them know just where they stand
    she tells them all that i'm her man
    and when we're out on a date
    all the fellas wait till i walk away
    they try to beat my time
    she tells them in a nice way she's mine, all mine

3)
    I Ain't got time to read a newspaper,
    Or look at TV [[ah ah ah ah)
    Cause' I'm not concerned with what the future holds,
    Instore for me [[ah ah ah ah)

Im just a fella,
    With a one, a one track mind
    And when it comes to thinking about,
    anything but my baby,
    I just dont have time!

4)

Girl, as you walk by... I breathe a sigh.
    And deep inside I knew it had to be.
    This little girl is mine.
    And for a little while I heard a strange rhapsody.
    Hmmm
    So lovely and so fair. [[Fair)
    I knew right then and there. [[There)
    That you were made for me.
    And it wasn't hard to see.
    I guess I was born to love you. [[Born to love you)

@pshark

You're right, I forgot about "Standing..." Complete brain fart on my part.

My favorite Eddie Kendricks track with the Tempts would have to be "Please Return Your Love to Me".

Solo wise, it's a tie between "Change of Mind" and "Can I".

Eddie was one of the all time BEST! I was fortunate enough to see him one last time in October 1991 in Detroit and we had a blast!

Remembering Eddie Kendricks...........Rest in Peace.

Although, I agree with you Midnightman [[my favorite by Eddie and the Tempts is "Please Return Your Love to Me") it is the line he sings first in "You're My Everything" ........"you surely must know magic girl......" that is the one that caused me and a couple of other people I was hanging out with at the time to stop and look at each other as if we were all thinking this dude [[Eddie Kendricks) was truly amazing! He was a geniune gifted artist that is still wholly under recognized for his brilliance in vocal delivery!

topdiva1 Guest
    May Mr. Eddie Kendricks and his contributions to the world in the form of his music always be remembered.

Rest peacefully dear spirit.

Some memorable lyrics from the great eddie...girl,to restore the faith you had in me i'm begging you down on my knees,don't leave me don't leave-i need your lovin...it is said that men don't feel things as deeply as women,but when love comes into your life and all your feelings come to the surface-each day i cry a little...this is the heart that used to feel the joy of waking-girl come back home...i don't need cheers from the croud to make me feel good,to make me feel proud-i just want to be the one...cause true love won't bring troubles,it will fade your troubles away-two sides to love!!

That was just too damn cool , wasn't it arrr&bee?

Eddie was beast as the kids say today when it comes to delivering a lyric, a song. I can hear his lead on the Tempts sixties version of "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer"! If Eddie knew how many kids he had singing along with him in the hood, back in the day to that one, he'd smile I am sure.

R.I.P. Your musical legacy is one that will live on forever. I have danced to your tunes, I have cried to your songs, I have found much comfort in your wonderful voice through good times and bad, thick and thin.....

Marv you know it,eddie had that something in his singing that will never be duplicated a sophistication that set him apart from every other tenor from that time til today,and to say he was a snazzy dresser is a gross understatement,otis knew what he was doing when he put eddie in charge of the temps wardrobe..one of all time legends-mr.eddie[one take]kendricks!!

Oh man, Eddie and them use to come down to Toledo on the weekend and I saw him and Clarence on Dorr Street once when I was a kid and he was FLLLLYYYY! Double knits, gators , straw brim, the works. Eddie's youngest son is good buddies with my nephew.

Eddie Kendricks, telling his girl how he really feels.....nobody ever did it better.....

topdiva1 Guest
    Eddie Kendrick was a class act to the end - another favorite is - Girl You Need A Change Of Mind.

TopDiva, that was the jam that pretty much officially kicked off the Disco Explosion here in New York in the seventies!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    TopDiva, that was the jam that pretty much officially kicked off the Disco Explosion here in New York in the seventies!
    WHAT!!! I certainly did not know that. I hope that Unsung will get around to Eddie Kendricks as well.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    WHAT!!! I certainly did not know that. I hope that Unsung will get around to Eddie Kendricks as well.

Thanks for the info.
    Oh come on! I mean everybody knows that it was the extended play of "Girl You Need A Change of Mind" by Eddie Kendricks that began it all across the board. Denzel Washington even talks about it in one of his interviews a fews back. Eddie Murphy's mentioned it as well. I know it from just being here.

Check this out. An excerpt from Wikipedia's Eddie Kendricks bio:

Solo career and later years
    Kendricks' solo career began slowly; he endured two years of singles that missed the Top 40, while The Temptations continued with their string of Norman Whitfield-helmed hits [[one of which, "Superstar [[Remember How You Got Where You Are)", was written as a jab towards Kendricks and Ruffin). Despite enjoying only a modicum of commercial success and radio airplay, Kendricks's 1972 album People... Hold On [[with the aid of his touring group, The Young Senators) was a cornerstone of DJ playlists in downtown New York's nascent disco scene. The expansive, eight minute take on "Girl, You Need A Change Of Mind" [[Later remade by R&B singer D'Angelo for the Get on the Bus Soundtrack) from the album was a particular favorite at David Mancuso's Loft. As the dance craze seeped through into other cities,

Check him out .....from "The Real Side"

True dat Marv, but it was kind of ironic that Eddie, who had major issues with Norman Whitfields extended opus-like tracks, yet he made several himself, true Norman's were funk based and Eddies was pop/soul/disco.....[[ Can I, Change of Mind, Truckin & Boogie Down) for example.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    True dat Marv, but it was kind of ironic that Eddie, who had major issues with Norman Whitfields extended opus-like tracks, yet he made several himself, true Norman's were funk based and Eddies was pop/soul/disco.....[[ Can I, Change of Mind, Truckin & Boogie Down) for example.
    Kev/Paladin, I think Eddie also did not like that Norman was not into "love songs" and Eddie wanted to sing some like in the earlier days. Eddie Kendricks as historians have noted released the first "Disco Record" but he still goes under recognized to this very day! He was an American Music Icon just as much as Elvis or Sinatra in my opinion.

Eddie was my favorite male vocalist of all time. And I usually can't pick a
    favorite anything but I loved that cat from first hearing him as a child til I'm someone
    else's memory. Hands down. In the Tempts or solo. In fact, on Motown or off the label.
    No offense. Best of Strangers on Arista still gets regular play in my household.
    EJK forever...

This record always gets played in my rotation, haunting and beautiful......, along with Intimate Friends, Honey Brown and Each Day I Cry A Little........ really who would have thought that Eddie would be more successful than David ?

pshark Guest