[REMOVE ADS]

Scary Supremey stuff-and from UK for once!

"Supreme Dream"?! More like a Supreme Nightmare! Seriously, it's not that bad but it doesn't sound at all like the real thing...

The weren't that bad. They were rather good I thought.

revvy Guest
    What's funny is they are actually far better than the FLOS! They're more true to the Supremes sound and their subtle moves aren't as exaggerated as Lynda and Scherrie's. Sorry, but that's the truth.

So fake Supremes are better than real Supremes?

They were not bad at all I thought it was cute. Im glad they didnt do the exaggerated moves that some of these other groups do.

revvy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    So fake Supremes are better than real Supremes?
    Maybe you should have posed that question to Diana Ross in early 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by revvy View Post
    What's funny is they are actually far better than the FLOS! They're more true to the Supremes sound and their subtle moves aren't as exaggerated as Lynda and Scherrie's. Sorry, but that's the truth.
    I know what you mean. From the clips i've seen it does appear that they've went in the direction of being caricatures of the Supremes.

Scherrie and Lynda are SUPREMES. You can debate their tenure or the technicalities, but the fact is they are, and will always be Supremes.

Maybe you should have posed that question to Diana Ross in early 2000.
    .......Ouch!!!!

Scherrie and Lynda are SUPREMES. You can debate their tenure or the technicalities, but the fact is they are, and will always be Supremes.
    They just may not be the best representations of the Supremes out there today.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They just may not be the best representations of the Supremes out there today.
    Or then again, they may!

For I [[and many others who post here) recognize that each of the 9 ladies who has graced the entertainment world as an official Supreme has made valuable contributions to the name and legacy of the group. We see no need to try to defame the name or downplay the contribution of any of them, especially in order to play up one over or at the expense of another.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Or then again, they may!

For I [[and many others who post here) recognize that each of the 9 ladies who has graced the entertainment world as an official Supreme has made valuable contributions to the name and legacy of the group. We see no need to try to defame the name or downplay the contribution of any of them, especially in order to play up one over or at the expense of another.
    Agreed. And as for the performers in the clip, it was pretty good. As long as they are not trying to pass themselves off as The Supremes, I am fine with it. [[But I just watched another clip of them doing Ain't No Mountain and it looked they were lip syncing)

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Or then again, they may!

I am not defaming them or questioning their contributions from the past. I am stating my opinion that I do not believe that they are the best representation of the Supremes or what they were out there today. Take that any way you want, because I don't care. That is my opinion.

They WERE Supremes. Some folks just do not enjoy their current stage presentations.

You know what when it comes to the FLOS I could never really get into them after Jean was gone. I know Freddie Poole can sing and Joyce Vincent Wilson can sing but for me it was over after Jean was gone. I STILL respect all of the ladies and I really like Scherrie Payne and Im glad that she and Lynda were able to carry on. What funny is everytime I see the FLOS moniker and they were upset when Mary didnt want to leave behind the name Supremes they saw years later how that name would make some income for them. Mary wasnt stupid.

revvy Guest
    Stephanie,

You are completely correct. Mary was a co-creator of a BRAND and, like any smart business person, she wants control over how that brand is represented long past its sell by date. The same holds true for Berry Gordy with the Motown brand or any other influential brand [[Disney, Ford, Microsoft, The Beatles, etc.) for that matter.

This issue isn't so much about pitting one Supreme against another, but rather how the Supremes legacy is chronologically, historically and accurately represented.
    Last edited by revvy; 02-23-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    You know what when it comes to the FLOS I could never really get into them after Jean was gone. I know Freddie Poole can sing and Joyce Vincent Wilson can sing but for me it was over after Jean was gone. I STILL respect all of the ladies and I really like Scherrie Payne and Im glad that she and Lynda were able to carry on. What funny is everytime I see the FLOS moniker and they were upset when Mary didnt want to leave behind the name Supremes they saw years later how that name would make some income for them. Mary wasnt stupid.
    Jean was the only reason I paid attention to the FLOS to begin with. I do find it ironic that they all left "The Supremes" for one reason or another only to come back years later and say guess what? We're the Supremes! LOL! That never flew with most people which may be why they have done only a very limited amount of gigs here in the U.S.

At least all 3 microphones sounded at the same level. Supremes...no, but, kinda fun for an evenings entertainment. It's a little hard for 3 white gals to infer they are/were or ever would be Supremes!

To me they sound more like the Lennon Sisters-their lack of soul is profound. Yes, their Aint no mt high enough and another clip I saw are more representative. Their whole presentation seems almost camp to me--as they are soooo average and amateurish.

The Flos all seem to wanna let u know they can sing-they dont function as a unit and dont represent the sophisticated style and magic the Supremes had. RTL was even worse. It was Diana and two background singers--"way back" to quote one newspaper. Their songs when they stood together ish like on Oprah were embarrasing. Did they rehearse?

revvy Guest
    Actually luke, the Lennon sisters do have a little bit o' soul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kJTbI66Mws

LOLOL. That Lennon on the right cant keep time!!

Luke - Interesting video. Not what I was expecting. But still enjoyable. Thanks.

Now here's one I posted awhile back. From the movie SLAVES OF NEW YORK [1989]. The clip is only about 2 mins. But the routine really captures something, I think. I certainly wasn't expecting it when it popped up in the middle of the movie. It's a hoot! So good, it's scary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFs1cRxEQQc

They got the essence of the Supremes in that little skit in this movie! I see why its so scary its really good.

Meth
    I also forgot to mention what makes this clip special is when people talk about the Supremes it usually Baby Love or Stop in the Name of Love that you hear and now we get Love is Like an Itching in My Heart which is another treat.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Meth
    I also forgot to mention what makes this clip special is when people talk about the Supremes it usually Baby Love or Stop in the Name of Love that you hear and now we get Love is Like an Itching in My Heart which is another treat.
    Stephanie - I completely agree. They used the absolutely perfect song here. A brief clip but they got it so right! Somebody knew exactly what they were doing. And having that boom-box being carried--what a great visual effect mixed in with all the other great visual stuff of those three performers. So Supremes, wasn't it?!

These ladies are good, take it for what it is - I would certainly enjoy a concert by them and perhaps they're not limited to doing Supremes stuff? Their performances seem subtle and sexy at the same time. I would agree that the FLOS can be harsh and OTT but they also do well and its easy to forget that they are not youngsters any more [[Scherrie is 68 for example). However, I probably wouldn't rush out to buy recordings by either set of ladies today yet would enjoy them both equally in a live show I think.

I just looked at the clip, Revvy... and your'e right! They are better than the FLOS. The FLOS of today, not the "Real" FLOS when Jean was still there.