[REMOVE ADS]

My Baby Loves Me question

This is probably my favorite Martha and the Vandellas song but my question is I've heard that the track was originally recorded for the Four Tops hence the Four Tops and Andantes singing the background. But if it really was meant to be for the Four Tops wouldn't they be singing in the back "She really, really loves me" instead of "He"? Either way great song!

good question. I also heard decades ago that this was the song that Kim Weston wanted or thought she was gonna do[[not Dancing In the Street). Martha does a top notch performance on this.If my memory is correct I seem to remember her telling me that she was at the studio as the track was being completed & some of the Tops were there with the Andantes & thats how it happened.

I don't think it would make sense for the Tops to sing "she really really loves me" because the lead vocal is referring to "he"...not "she". And the Tops..and the Andantes are merely reflecting the lead singer's [[Martha's) lyrics...not their own. It would be different if it was a Four Tops recording, of course.

Martha talked about some of the 4 Tops being in the studio. I remember her mentioning
    Obie. However, I've never heard the song was written or meant for them. I don't
    recall Mickey Stevenson writing or producing them, but I did hear that it may have
    been intended for Kim Weston.