[REMOVE ADS]

Post Spike Lee called an Uncle Tom/thug for his criticism of "Django" film

http://thegrio.com/2013/01/16/spike-...ngo-unchained/

Director Spike Lee came out early to condemnQuentin Tarantino’s hit slavery-themed film Django Unchained, admittedly without having even seen it.
    Now the outspoken figure is facing a backlash of his own, as a growing chorus of black entertainers have called him out for his criticism of the Academy-Award-nominated movie.
    “Screw Spike Lee,” writes former 2 Live Crew frontman Luther Campbell in a new op-ed entitled“Spike Lee is no Quentin Tarantino” for the Miami New Times.
    “Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained is a brilliant flick that more accurately depicts the African-American experience than any of the 15 movies about black culture Lee’s directed in his lifetime,” he added
    theGrio slideshow: Who else could have played Django?
    He closes his piece by comparing Lee to the villainous house slave portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson in the film.
    “Spike is upset because Samuel L. Jackson’s character in the movie is just like him: a conniving and scheming Uncle Tom,” writes Campbell.
    Dick Gregory, the legendary activist and comedian has also lashed out at Lee, referring to the Do the Right Thing filmmaker as a “thug” and a “punk.”
    “I’ve seen Django Unchained 12 times. Never in the history of Hollywood, have they ever made anything that freed the inside of me. The inside of me. I’m 80 years old, I saw cowboy movies, wasn’t no black folks in cowboy movies. I’m looking at a Western, plus a love story. To those of you all that see it, you’ll never see a love story about a black man and a black woman where it wasn’t some foul sex and foul language, huh. And Spike Lee can’t appreciate that. The little thug ain’t even seen the movie; he’s acting like he white,” said Gregory in a YouTube interview.
    Gregory also directly addressed Lee’s claims that the movie is “disrespectful” to his ancestors.
    “[Talking about] ‘it offended my ancestors,’ but when you did She’s Got To Have It and some of those other thug movies you did…you took Malcolm X and put a Zoot suit on him…did that offend your ancestors, punk?” added Gregory.
    After his initial remarks about Tarantino’s movie, Lee has largely remained quiet about the film.
    It has since become Tarantino’s most financially successful film to date and was nominated for five Academy Awards last week, including best picture.

Spike Lee can be over the top, but for Luther Campbell to be the definitive voice on the Black experience is a joke. I'll take every single one of Lee's films to the best of Campbell's songs. Lee at least gives you something to talk about and discuss whereas Luke made his money as the '80s version of Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts. And if Dick Gregory ever read "Autobiography of Malcolm X", he'd find out that Minister Shabazz is the one who put the zoot suit on Malcolm Little, so he can kiss my ass, too.

I'm not saying that Lee doesn't deserve criticism for being outspoken, especially when he hasn't seen the film, but the criticism from Dick Gregory and Luke Skyywalker makes him look better, not worse.

The only issue I have with Lee is that he condemned the movie before he ever saw it. I doubt he has seen it to this day.

Spike Lee blasted "The Color Purple" because a Jewish man directed it. His criticisms back then were more on principle than on the quality of the film. He also campaigned against Norman Jewison's assignment to "Malcolm X" until he got the gig because he didn't think a white man had the perspective to direct the film.

Then, he blasted Quentin Tarantino for directing movies like "Jackie Brown" because QT thinks he knows about the Black experience. That was before he did "Summer of Sam", which he felt good about doing based on the fact that he grew up around Italians. Spike is a great director [[in my opinion), but he needs to learn to STFU once in awhile. With that being said, Dick Gregory and Luke can STFU as well.

I could almost see this coming......

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Spike Lee blasted "The Color Purple" because a Jewish man directed it. His criticisms back then were more on principle than on the quality of the film. He also campaigned against Norman Jewison's assignment to "Malcolm X" until he got the gig because he didn't think a white man had the perspective to direct the film.

Then, he blasted Quentin Tarantino for directing movies like "Jackie Brown" because QT thinks he knows about the Black experience. That was before he did "Summer of Sam", which he felt good about doing based on the fact that he grew up around Italians. Spike is a great director [[in my opinion), but he needs to learn to STFU once in awhile. With that being said, Dick Gregory and Luke can STFU as well.
    Then i'll say it: Spike Lee is either racist, or needs to experience life more.

Don't they have action figures for this film? I heard they did. Kids can play with little slave characters from Django Unchained. Spike Lee is quick to criticize other filmmakers especially those he does not like. And Quentin Tarantino does seem a little too fond of the N-word. He uses it a lot in some of the scripts for his films. Allegedly Denzel Washington took to task for his use of that word. But I'm really tripping off of Luther Campbell writing an Op-Ed piece for a Miami newspaper. I didn't know he could spell.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-17-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Seems like a very closed-minded, right-wing conservative, tea-bagger type of attitude to lambaste a fim without seeing it. Is the Spike-meister losing it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Don't they have action figures for this film? I heard they did. Kids can play with little slave characters from Django Unchained. Spike Lee is quick to criticize other filmmakers especially those he does not like. And Quentin Tarantino does seem a little too fond of the N-word. He uses it a lot in some of the scripts for his films. Allegedly Denzel Washington took to task for his use of that word.
    It is unfortunate that the word is still used so much, but in the real world, average, everyday people, Black. Latino, and White, still use the work like nothing else, so you almost can't blame him.

But I'm really tripping off of Luther Campbell writing an Op-Ed piece for a Miami newspaper. I didn't know he could spell.
    Aren't you stereotyping a bit? Just because he does x-rated rap doesn't mean he isn't intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

Aren't you stereotyping a bit? Just because he does x-rated rap doesn't mean he isn't intelligent.
    No. I saw his reality TV show. He didn't come across as intellectual.

It is unfortunate that the word is still used so much, but in the real world, average, everyday people, Black. Latino, and White, still use the work like nothing else, so you almost can't blame him.

Soulster, Italians call each other ethnically disparaging names. Same for Puerto Ricans, Jews, homosexuals, and any other group you can name. But if you call a homosexual "queer" at work, it's a good way to lose your job even though they're cool with talking to each other in that manner, "Queer As Folk" for example. Therefore, to say that it's okay to drop the N-bomb because of rampant use is still not right.

And although we all are entitled to our opinions, in my opinion, Luke was not even an imaginative writer or skillful rapper. Seeing as he wasn't exactly the best at his own craft, he shouldn't disparage someone else because of their opinion of a peer. As Kamasu, Jr. stated, Luke does not come across as the brightest light in the chandelier.

I've been curious about all the ballyhoo "Django" has generated, but since it's not playing a big theatre downtown, frankly, I just haven't been that motivated to travel crosstown to a small theatre, off the main transit line. I did ask a trusted African - Amercian pal what's all the fuss. He told me that Spike Lee's ass is in a sling 'cause he thinks he's the only person who's entitled to use the "N" word.

As a Canadian I seem to hear the offensive word in lots of music, videos and in movies on television. Nobody seems too concerned about the usage in pop culture. Maybe, Spike is upset he didn't think up this revisionest history story himself. I can say however, that I did see Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds," [[proper spelling to distinguish it from an earlier 1987 film of the same name), where he rewrote World War II history, whereby Hitler is burned alive during a German propaganda film premiere. Perhaps it should be required that anyone viewing "Django," should see "Inglorious" first to get the perspective.

Hopefully Taranteno is working on another re-imagining of history. Frankly, this whole tempest in a tea pot brings to mind a Mae West quip. "Those who are easily shocked should get shocked more often!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    No. I saw his reality TV show. He didn't come across as intellectual.
    But, that's TV.

Soulster, Italians call each other ethnically disparaging names. Same for Puerto Ricans, Jews, homosexuals, and any other group you can name. But if you call a homosexual "queer" at work, it's a good way to lose your job even though they're cool with talking to each other in that manner, "Queer As Folk" for example. Therefore, to say that it's okay to drop the N-bomb because of rampant use is still not right.
    Society is not right. And, don't forget, this is a movie in the age of slavery. Expect to hear that word all over the place.

And although we all are entitled to our opinions, in my opinion, Luke was not even an imaginative writer or skillful rapper. Seeing as he wasn't exactly the best at his own craft, he shouldn't disparage someone else because of their opinion of a peer. As Kamasu, Jr. stated, Luke does not come across as the brightest light in the chandelier.
    Are you forgetting that it's rap?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    As a Canadian I seem to hear the offensive word in lots of music, videos and in movies on television. Nobody seems too concerned about the usage in pop culture.

Yes. We have heard anger about it since gangsta rap started, and it's still there, but I don't see people going ape-shit about it like Spike Lee is.

Maybe, Spike is upset he didn't think up this revisionest history story himself. I can say however, that I did see Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds," [[proper spelling to distinguish it from an earlier 1987 film of the same name), where he rewrote World War II history, whereby Hitler is burned alive during a German propaganda film premiere. Perhaps it should be required that anyone viewing "Django," should see "Inglorious" first to get the perspective.
    Spike Lee has had Tarantino in his cross hairs for years. Jealousy? Frustration?

I like Spike Lee, but what has he done in recent years that's good?

You didn't go there, did you? All rap is not garbage on the scale of 2 Live Crew.

You didn't go there, did you? All rap is not garbage on the scale of 2 Live Crew.
    If 2-Live Crew is garbage, it's fun garbage. I'm no musical snob.

If 2-Live Crew is garbage, it's fun garbage. I'm no musical snob.
    Maybe I misunderstood the comment: "Are you forgetting it's rap?" Anyway, one many's garbage is another man's treasure. And I'll be the first to admit that a lot of my favorite songs didn't make anybody's Top 100, even when they were just released.

Maybe I misunderstood the comment: "Are you forgetting it's rap?" Anyway, one many's garbage is another man's treasure. And I'll be the first to admit that a lot of my favorite songs didn't make anybody's Top 100, even when they were just released.

I'm just saying that, for the style of music/rap they do, they were among the best, whether you like X-tared stuff or not. But, no one beats the master, Blowfly.

It's just a movie so I personally don't think it's worth giving it too much attention but reading this thread I'm seeing a lot of issues being brought up that I think will never be
    resolved. Yes I know Spike Lee can be a little full of it at times but two things come to mind
    when I think of him: 1) he almost single-handedly fixed the drought of Black films in American cinema and 2) he's the only black director that routinely speaks out about our
    imagery on screen. Not that I always agree with him but take for example someone like
    Tyler Perry who didn't even think of projecting more substance until people starting talking
    about how shallow some of his work had been.
    As far as slurs are concerned, yes, I know some people at times will use one when talking
    to another of their group, but usually in jest and more often in privacy.That said, Black people are the only people who use one all day every day in public as well as in private
    and have accepted it's use by others outside of their group. But none of the members of those other groups would accept a black person addressing them by a slur. You don't believe
    me, try it. See how quickly you'll be blasted. I've seen a number of Quentin's movies and enjoyed them but I've known personally non-black people who get a private kick out of the N-word, 2 who had nerve enough to tell me to my face...It's a really messy world we live in...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    It's just a movie so I personally don't think it's worth giving it too much attention but reading this thread I'm seeing a lot of issues being brought up that I think will never be
    resolved. Yes I know Spike Lee can be a little full of it at times but two things come to mind
    when I think of him: 1) he almost single-handedly fixed the drought of Black films in American cinema...
    Don't forget John Singleton.

As far as slurs are concerned, yes, I know some people at times will use one when talking
    to another of their group, but usually in jest and more often in privacy.That said, Black people are the only people who use one all day every day in public as well as in private
    and have accepted it's use by others outside of their group. But none of the members of those other groups would accept a black person addressing them by a slur. You don't believe
    me, try it. See how quickly you'll be blasted. I've seen a number of Quentin's movies and enjoyed them but I've known personally non-black people who get a private kick out of the N-word, 2 who had nerve enough to tell me to my face...It's a really messy world we live in...
    It is indeed a twisted world. There are White people who use the word, been around long enough to know better, but are not racists. A bit bigoted, perhaps. But, again, what are you going to do when rappers keep doing it? I'm not even talking about gangsta rappers, but people like Kanye West. And, what bout words like "bitch"? People today throw fits about it, but women proudly proclaim themselves as bitches and call each other one. We have had #1 hit records way back in the 70s with the word in the title. Remember, "Django" is a movie set in the slave days. Probably almost everyone used that word. I'm not condoning it, but that's the way it was.

Use of self-deprecating pejorative phrases between members of cliques and social circles is common, as you guys have stated. Italians, Puerto Ricans, Cubanos, gays... They all do it as well. Homosexuals have no problem calling each other "queer", but if you do it while working, you'll be fired after they complain. My brothers and I cut each other down all the time [[never using the N-bomb) but we'll go to war if someone else does. It's just how it is, it's an inside thing.

And Spike Lee has had it in for Tarantino for years. Don't forget one of his characters dropping the name "QT" for a butthole director in "Girl 6". Tarantino thinks he understands Black folk and he is fixated on how we interact. Of course, he seems to be fixated on thuggish, street-level brothers than many of us are acquainted with, so his films depict them. Conversely, Spike Lee thinks that he understands Italians more than most white people do, so he felt comfortable making "Summer of Sam", which many people, including myself, thought was remarkably derogatory and offensive to the Italians of Brooklyn in the '70s.

In a nutshell, Black Spike Lee knows and depicts Italians as cartoons, whereas Italian Tarantino knows and depicts Black people as cartoons. I guess we're even. My problem is more with Luke and Dick Gregory and the manner in which they expressed their displeasure with Lee's comments.

In a nutshell, Black Spike Lee knows and depicts Italians as cartoons, whereas Italian Tarantino knows and depicts Black people as cartoons. I guess we're even. My problem is more with Luke and Dick Gregory and the manner in which they expressed their displeasure with Lee's comments.
    Being from the midwest and having grown up in the southwest, I never grew up around Italian communities, so I have no clue pertaining to any stereotypes about them. Hell, I haven't had too much interaction with Black "thugs". So, I do not know about this thing between Lee and Tarantino as far as race/ethnicity is concerned. I only saw Summer Of Sam" once, so when I watch it again, i'll try to look out for stereotypes. I just don't recall seeing anything that would be tagged as offensive. But, if you are an Italian, I guess you would. I have seen "Do The Right Thing", of course, but, other than the racist brother, I don't see any stereotypes against anyone except some of the Black people.

Spike Lee is actually one of my favorite directors. When "Do the Right Thing" came out, it was immediately one of my favorite movies. I'm also a big fan of "Malcolm X", "Clockers", "Inside Man", and "Miracle at St. Anna". I could teach a course on "Bamboozled". I even liked "School Daze". Conversely, some of his films [["Girl 6", "Summer of Sam", and "He Got Game" make me cringe.

It's all about jealousy... and the fact that Spike Lee has always been a "boutique" director, meaning he's never enjoyed that mainstream BLOCKBUSTER success. But I don't like Tarantino, either... he's a lover of gratuitous gore and misogyny.

Jillfoster, Tarantino is a connoisseur of movies that many consider to be exploitative. His film "Grindhouse" was tribute to those movies and the genre of "Blaxploitation" is one that he champions.

Jillfoster, Tarantino is a connoisseur of movies that many consider to be exploitative. His film "Grindhouse" was tribute to those movies and the genre of "Blaxploitation" is one that he champions.
    Well, some blaxploitation movies were pretty damn good. Like Cleopatra Jones. Tamara Dobson was a kick ass broad. The black woman's answer to Charles Bronson.

My favorite one was "Uptight" with Max Julian. Perhaps the most underappreciated [[or unknown, for that matter) of the genre. Note: my favorite movie is "Let's Do It Again", but I don't consider it to be exploitation.

I don't know anything about "boutique directing" but I think Spike has done pretty good for
    himself considering his targeted audiences and his core beliefs. The top pop blockbuster
    cotton candy award hasn't really been his focus when he was working on films like Malcolm
    X, DTRT, or Clockers.
    Jerry, I know what you mean about Girl 6. On screen it became quite a mess but at least Spike didn't write it. That credit goes to someone whose work otherwise I liked, Susan-Lori Parks and actually Quentin Tarrantino was in it. Anwyay, I see in the news that Jamie Foxx
    has thrown his hat in the ring defending his director and blasting Spike. Oh boy....
    Soulster, I meant to remind you Spike had shot four films before John Singleton made his debut but I like him too...

For as much as I loved "Boyz N The Hood", John Singleton's output since then has been a major disappointment for me. I thought that he had the opportunity to be a truly special director. As it is, I am much more of a Malcolm D. Lee fan at this point [[if we're talking about African-American directors besides Spike Lee). Singleton's talents as a director don't seem to be sufficient to tell the stories he seeks to tell. "Shaft" and "Rosewood" come to mind as films that he probably pitched better than he executed.

I meant to remind you Spike had shot four films before John Singleton made his debut but I like him too...
    Disclaimer: I'm not a huge movie fan, so I don't really get into the details, but wasn't Lee's first film "She's Gotta have It"?

As far as nationwide distribution, technically, yes, but he shot a short film before that. It was called
    Joe's Barbershop: We Cut Heads. Was there some point to your question?...

As far as nationwide distribution, technically, yes, but he shot a short film before that. It was called
    Joe's Barbershop: We Cut Heads. Was there some point to your question?...
    No, just a straight question.

Spike does not know how to close a movie, he makes the first 75% of the movies quite well, and accept for a few, he always falters at the end.
    Spike Do the Right Thing and make a complete movie again- a fan

Kamasu,

The action figures were pulled due to some heated outrage from black agencies. The backlsh was so bad that after some enterprising sort tried to sell the limited amount that actually made it to the market, eBay had all of those listing pulled, never to be reposted again due to "offensive materials" or something of that nature.

As regards Spike's opinion of this movie, I believe that he's a bit off base here.

Considering that the movie was made about slavery, exactly what language would he have had Quenton use, African American? If he's being true to that time frame, unfortunate as history has proven to be, Quenton would have to adhere to the more of those times.

Ironically, earlier today, the episode of Sanford & Son was on. It was the one with Antonio Fargas portraying a tailor who dabbled in law. Fred represented Lamont & uttered te forbiddn word a couple of times. In fact, he said the line that there were enough of them to make a Tarzan movie & we laughed at it in the 70s & most of us still laugh at that line today.

I think back to his portrayal of Nola Darling, in which he cast her damn near as a ho. And then there was "Do The Right Thing" which was a bit over-the-top in it's use of every negative stereotype from both the black & italian perspective.

And something which would also have my ancestors spinning in their graves is the idea of a black movie producer from Brooklyn teaming up with Michael Jordan & shilling for some billion dollar corporation, while encourging the purchase of $150 sneakers made in some damn sweatshop for the price of about $8 to his own people, most of whom coudn't afford them for his OWN financial & personal benefit.

Or how about the same guy who opened a store in his old neighborhood & sold clothing for ridiculously high prices which were pretty much affordable to the friendly neighborhood drug dealer.

Or how about the guy who made that disaster of a movie named "Girl 6", in which the focal point of the movie, a woman, once again portrayed in a more than unflattering light?

All of this while simultaneously slamming "whitey" for exploitating his "people", when it's a bit obvious that he's more attuned to the "people" whom reside in his wallet 7 bank account, than the actual people whom he claimed to be a champion of.

Beyond that, his criticism would've been more understandable had he actually SEEN the movie & could accurately speak to the context in which THAT epithet was employed. But by speaking without accurate knowledge only means that he played himself & was being just as hypocritical as those whom criticized our movies without ever having seen so much as a trailer or a clip of what they were criticizing.

Either way, there's one thing for sure. If our ancestors are spinning in their graves, Django won't be the only reason for it. And I don't believe that they'd appreciate hearing someone whom has played their own part in the exploitation of our own [[especially the youth), while screaming about how THOSE people have done likewise.

And not one of those ancestors could make the claim that "it's gotta be the shoes".

Funny how some mirrors come with blinders fully attatched & how quickly they forget. But some of us haven't forgotten a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Kamasu,

The action figures were pulled due to some heated outrage from black agencies. The backlsh was so bad that after some enterprising sort tried to sell the limited amount that actually made it to the market, eBay had all of those listing pulled, never to be reposted again due to "offensive materials" or something of that nature.
    Wow. This thread is the first place I even read about any action figures.

Juice, thanks for putting Spike Lee into perspective.
    Last edited by soulster; 01-25-2013 at 09:48 AM.

I'm planning on seeing this flick but from the previews,looks like just another western to me and i love westerns,i'm not putting any historical significance into this thing because i don't think the performances are gonna warrant it..terrintino is an action dude everybody knows that so i'm not gonna trip about this flick because i ain't looking for great acting just alot of action.

arr&bee, you're taking an appropriate stance in my opinion..... I saw the movie yesterday. It's not that complicated. A hero who happens to be black, his mentor/ side kick who happens to be white, mutual respect and admiration, wry humour, ridicule of old prejudices, great photography, and loads of action. I thoroughly enjoyed every second, and it furthers the reputations of Jamie Foxx and Samuel Jackson as great character actors. Great entertainment!!

Mike,
    I agree with all you have written, having seen the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    arr&bee, you're taking an appropriate stance in my opinion..... I saw the movie yesterday. It's not that complicated. A hero who happens to be black, his mentor/ side kick who happens to be white, mutual respect and admiration, wry humour, ridicule of old prejudices, great photography, and loads of action. I thoroughly enjoyed every second, and it furthers the reputations of Jamie Foxx and Samuel Jackson as great character actors. Great entertainment!!
    That said I too will see the movie when it's on dvd ...
    Still, as I said though I haven't always agreed with Spike Lee, in his defense I will say I
    do overstand his perspective. In response to some of the things Juice brought up first
    as I already said Spike didn't write Girl 6. the hot in New York at that moment playwright
    Susan- Lori Parks did. Second in She's Gotta Have It Tracy Camila Johns played a young black
    woman who enjoyed being sexually active but was weary of being committed. If you want
    to call her a hoe that's your business...As far as DTRT and stereotypes, what film or TV show
    out of Hollywood from the 50's to the 80's didn't make use of stereotypic characters to portray the rest of the world to Anglo-Saxon America?...
    Now I know diddle squat about Spike's deals with Michael Jordan and footwear but aren't
    most of the jeans, clothes and big name-brand footwear that folks pay so much money for
    in this country made in some sweat shop here or elsewhere by poor people who make less
    in a month than some of spend in a wek? Even a day?...In Spike's defense I can't write off
    the cat who gave us Four Little Girls and When The Levee Broke so easily. And by way,
    Do The Right Thing opened up the dialogue on race in American film for new generations
    and opened the door for many of the directors that followed him...

Oh yea, and calling Spike a "thug" and "Uncle Tom " for defending his own people is freaking ridiculous....LOL!!!!........
    Last edited by splanky; 01-26-2013 at 10:15 AM.