[REMOVE ADS]

Marvelettes Don't Deliver in 2013

Really unfortunate. I fear this was really their year, Gladys having passed and all, that it would make them kind of a sentimental choice which always helps. I'm so disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Really unfortunate. I fear this was really their year, Gladys having passed and all, that it would make them kind of a sentimental choice which always helps. I'm so disappointed.
    Well I say don;t give up hope. Just think how long it took for the ladies to get their gold record for "Please Mr Post Man". I feel their time is coming. They just got their name back a few weeks ago, so I'm not giving up hope

The Marvelettes don't need to be in the RRHF because IMHO they are in a class of their own way above so many of the past inductees. Many of my fav artists have not made it and when you see some of the names who have I'm glad that they didn't!

Very predictable choices.

The dogs ~ for waiting too long for Donna Summer.

?????PUBLIC ENEMY?????

Subjectively, I don't believe most rap should be considered true "music", but objectively; as rap has been widely popularly mainstream for at least the past twenty years, rap acts probably does deserve a spot in the HOF eventually; but not right now, not when there's still many, many "roots", like Marvelettes and Chic [[yet again!) more deservedly to be chosen more.

smark21 Guest
    One thing to bear in mind, many of this year’s inductees had to go through a couple of nominations before they got in. The Marvelettes made a breakthrough getting nominated this year. Hopefully in the next year or two, they’ll get nominated again and make it through the finish line.

I’m very glad Heart made it in. They were the first music group I ever got into back when I was a kid in 1976 and heard Crazy on You on the radio. And Ann and Nancy Wilson are still turning out excellent music in 2012.
    Last edited by smark21; 12-11-2012 at 09:19 PM.

smark21 Guest
    BTW, this year’s inductees are: Public Enemy, Rush, Heart, Quincy Jones, Randy Newman, and Albert King. I think there’s one other as well. Also, I do think it’s high time to rename the Hall as the Popular Music and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Rock and Roll should stay only because that’s been the name of the hall for so long so it makes sense to retain the name for brand awareness purposes.

While I was an intern at the Rock Hall I asked my supervisor why rap and hip hop acts were being included into the hall of fame. I was dead against rap and hip hop acts being included, but his response really got me thinking. As he put it - all music today has its origin in blues, jazz, and gospel. So many genres of music stemmed from those roots [[rock & roll, soul, folk, country, R&B, progressive rock, punk, hip hop, rap, disco, etc.). Because of these origins in which all of these genres grew from then they all fall into the Rock & Roll globe. Hip Hop/Rap wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for funk, soul, R&B, blues, gospel, etc. Everyone and everything influences everyone and everything. Music is always evolving so you just can't close out one genre because it's something people don't like. It's all one big giant web. If we kept it based on rock & roll then the hall of fame would just be old, dead white guitarists.

As much as I would like to hold off hip hop/rap artists being included it's not something that really can't be stopped.

by the way, this is NOT the FIRST time that The Marvelettes were nominated, it's the second time..