[REMOVE ADS]

What female or mixed group sang the backgrounds on "Jamie" by Eddie Holland?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  21.1 KB
    I keep listening, and can't recognise any distinct voices.

Was it The Andantes? Supremes? Martha and Gloria's Del-Fi's [[brought in by Joe Hunter?)? A late version of The RayBer Voices [[including Louvain Demps)?, or just an ad hoc group of whoever was hanging out in the studio at that time?

robb_k

Coincidence! - I have been listening to the Sound Of Early Motown box set in the car over the last couple of weeks, and have wondered the very same thing.

Have just played it again, four times in succession, and listened a little closer.

Those harmonies have always sounded to me just a little uneven and ragged, but in a charming sort of way - and even slightly discordant at times.

I'm hearing both male and female voices. I don't have any notes about 'Jamie' to hand, but am assuming it had to be recorded before backing tracks came into use?

I'm also assuming that all the background voices were recorded at the same session, and that the recording was at Hitsville.

If so, then it can't be Eddie Holland himself, also singing in the background - yet to me it does sound very like him, particularly on the line that ends 'that's my girl.." - especially on the word 'girl'.

There's at least one male voice, maybe two - and they seem not quite blended in with the female voices, as though they are standing away, or at a separate microphone. They may not be singing at all times with the female voices.

The high 'oooooo' soprano is 'doubling' another voice by singing at least one octave above it. That high voice sounds like Louvain [[if I'm correct in that she takes the highest note in the Andante harmonies), but it doesn't sound like the Andantes usual three part harmony. I'm not hearing Jackie's alto voice, to underscore the top soprano voice. Without the lower, warmer tone, there is a slight shrillness to the female voices.

So, to me, it doesn't too much like the Louvain/Marlene/Jackie Andantes, - or The Supremes, as I don't hear Flo or Diana.

Martha and Gloria's Del-Fi's - ? Could be, but I'd need to dig out some tracks, and listen again.

Your suggestion of Rayber voices or ad hoc group sounds the most likely answer.

But very interesting exercise! Now, the more I listen, the more I wonder....

I'm hoping someone will be able to confirm....

According to TCM Vol 1 it is the first to have the Andantes on.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  21.1 KB
    Louvain Demps was also a later member of The Rayber Voices in 1961. So, it might be Brian Holland [[whose voice you thought might be Eddie), Louvain, Miss Ray and Mary Wilson? I don't hear Robert Bateman or Sonny Sanders. If Bateman were singing along, we'd have noticed his deep voice. Maybe Sonny was also singing [[softly).

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    robb_k

Coincidence! - I have been listening to the Sound Of Early Motown box set in the car over the last couple of weeks, and have wondered the very same thing.

Have just played it again, four times in succession, and listened a little closer.

Those harmonies have always sounded to me just a little uneven and ragged, but in a charming sort of way - and even slightly discordant at times.

I'm hearing both male and female voices. I don't have any notes about 'Jamie' to hand, but am assuming it had to be recorded before backing tracks came into use?

I'm also assuming that all the background voices were recorded at the same session, and that the recording was at Hitsville.

If so, then it can't be Eddie Holland himself, also singing in the background - yet to me it does sound very like him, particularly on the line that ends 'that's my girl.." - especially on the word 'girl'.

There's at least one male voice, maybe two - and they seem not quite blended in with the female voices, as though they are standing away, or at a separate microphone. They may not be singing at all times with the female voices.

The high 'oooooo' soprano is 'doubling' another voice by singing at least one octave above it. That high voice sounds like Louvain [[if I'm correct in that she takes the highest note in the Andante harmonies), but it doesn't sound like the Andantes usual three part harmony. I'm not hearing Jackie's alto voice, to underscore the top soprano voice. Without the lower, warmer tone, there is a slight shrillness to the female voices.

So, to me, it doesn't too much like the Louvain/Marlene/Jackie Andantes, - or The Supremes, as I don't hear Flo or Diana.

Martha and Gloria's Del-Fi's - ? Could be, but I'd need to dig out some tracks, and listen again.

Your suggestion of Rayber voices or ad hoc group sounds the most likely answer.

But very interesting exercise! Now, the more I listen, the more I wonder....

I'm hoping someone will be able to confirm....
    I was about to suggest the Rayber Voices.

If it is indeed The Andantes, I'd say someone is missing, replaced by at least one other voice.

Mary Wilson sang with the Rayber Voices? I didn't know that....am hazy on their history!

Did Berry Gordy ever sing with them on any recordings?