[REMOVE ADS]

Meeting Your Favorite Singer

Hey, y'all. Dinelle here. Sorry if I haven't been posting on here much. Although I'm busy here overseas in Afghanistan, you're still not far from my mind.

Anyway, a little story. A few months ago[[okay it was April), I was visiting New York City on my block leave. My friend Stacia and I went to the Sugar Bar in Manhattan my last night there when wouldn't you know it, Valerie Simpson was there. No kidding. Well we met her and I just so happened to blurt out that Stacia did a tribute on her show to her[Valerie] and her husband. And Valerie just gave me this weird look, and I was like "Oh no". I couldn't look at her after that. If I get another chance I'll apologize to her for it.

Which brings me to this question: Have you ever met your favorite singer? And if you did, did you react better than I did?

I never met one of my favorites, but I went to a very memorable touring version of the Reggae Sunsplash back in 1984. It had one band backing six or seven vocal acts [[including Black Uhuru and the Mighty Diamonds, two of my favorite bands) and the show lasted for more than four hours. It was great, but all the more so because the drummer was so full of energy that after that long set, he came back and played a five-minute long drum solo. It was crazy, especially because I was the only one in the crowd who wasn't toked [[I may have had a bit of a contact high) and I could appreciate it more than most.

Anyway, the next day, I woke up and dragged my butt into work as a cashier at a grocery store. Barely staying awake, I managed to perk up when the band came through my line. I was stoked. I told them I truly enjoyed the show but that they didn't play one of my favorite songs [["Tamarind Farm" by the Mighty Diamonds).

The guy that I talked to seemed to appreciate my review, paid for their stuff and headed out. I don't know why that came to mind when I read this post, I don't even know who the musicians were, so they weren't famous or even my favorites.

On a lesser note, I called off from work one day after I went to an Earl Klugh concert and found out that he stopped through the store on the day that I missed.

Hey Dinelle, you be safe over there, cous, the stuff I'm seeing in the news media ain't pretty...
    Anyway, I've the fortune, and sometimes misfortune of meeting a number of my favorite musicians
    and singers, even knowing a couple personally...I didn't always take the best route with some of them. The first time I met George Clinton he was stoned amd the second time I was. I met the
    famed Ugandan multi-instrumentalist Samite and wanted to get him to answer a technical question
    for me not knowing his wife had just passed away. Meeting Eddie Kendricks reduced me to a 12 year
    old and I've met a few singers like Nona Hendrix and Cassandra Wilson on what I remember as their
    bad days, I guess we all have them....

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  21.1 KB
    I have too many favourite singers to say that I have one "favourite singer". I've met Mary Wells, Dee Dee Warwick, Gloria Jones, Freddie Gorman, Bo Diddley and many other professional singers as an adult professional in the music industry. And so, I was not fawning all over them, like a "fanboy". I met Brenda Holloway when I was about 20, Lou Rawls The O'Jays and many others, when I was a teenager. But I did not act like a drooling fan. I met a lot of the Chicago Blues singers when I was a teenager, but I did not act like a drooling fan. I met them as one human being to another. I did tell most of them that I liked their music.

I met Bo Diddley at a club in Manchester, England. He was sitting at the bar, between sets. We started talking. I didn't tell he that I knew who he was, or that I was a fan of his music. We started a conversation based on the fact that we both were from Chicago. [[I lived in Chicago from age 14 through age 20). We were reminiscing about the old days of the '50s and '60s in The South Side and West Side. I hung out in those areas because my father and uncle had stores there [[I worked in my father's), and I also looked for records there and went to clubs there.

Eventually, when we started talking about Blues artists that we both knew [[as acquaintances), I told him I was a fan of his singing. But the main part of our connection was that we were two old-time Chicagoans who happened to meet, coincidentally, in Manchester England. I was there visiting friends. I was only coincidentally, at that show.

I, too, can not say I have one favorite singer. I have many. Let's see - I've met and spoken with Mary Wilson quite a few times. The first time I met her, she was performing at this club in DC on Pennsylvania Ave NW back in the 80's. While speaking with her, I asked her if she could perform more Supremes' songs in her set [[and she just smiled). What an asshole I was! I was very disappointed with myself. So a couple of years ago, I saw Mary perform at Blues Alley and apologized to her for making such an ignoramus statement. She graciously accepted my apology but told me I did not have to apology. What a Supreme Lady!

I also met Ron Banks several years ago here in Atlanta. Well, actually he was walking down the street with another man and I interrupted their conversation. However, I was a bit upset when I told him how much I enjoyed his music and his production of Five Special's "Why Leave Us Alone". He claimed to have no knowledge of that production, so I left it at that. That situation did not stop me from being a fan. I think I took him by surprise.

I met Scherrie Payne, Lynda Laurence and Freddi Poole after a concert in Atlanta - it was a Christmas show a few years ago. Nothing but good things to say. Most of my conversation was geared toward Scherrie since she is my favorite of the three. Freddi was in the limo with Scherrie and I and I took a picture with both. Lynda was outside of the limo talking with Eric, their manager. She was a joy to speak with and be around. I have a picture with her as well. I told Lynda that her dad had kissed me as a baby at a Dixie Hummingbirds' concert. Now, what dude says that?

I even had an opportunity to meet and speak with Jean Terrell after a concert in South Carolina about 5 years ago. She also was a joy to be around. I have a picture with her as well. That same evening, Ronnie Laws was the headliner of the show. I had a chance to meet and speak with him but I was turned off by his attitude. Joe Hunter was at the show as well, he played piano for Jean and he was a great guy. He was just as receptive as Jean.

I met Martha Reeves at a book signing here in Atlanta. She was gracious. I asked her to autograph her book at the chapter of one of my favorite songs [[though I knew she hated it)
    "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing". No harm was intented. When it was time for her to take a pic with me, she asked if it was ok for the guy behind me to be in the photo as well because of the time, I said yes though I wanted badly to say no. But how can you say no to the "First Lady of Motown"

However, I am still waiting to meet Ms Ross - DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!!!

Tyrone

Quote Originally Posted by dinelle_watson View Post
    Hey, y'all. Dinelle here. Sorry if I haven't been posting on here much. Although I'm busy here overseas in Afghanistan, you're still not far from my mind.

Anyway, a little story. A few months ago[[okay it was April), I was visiting New York City on my block leave. My friend Stacia and I went to the Sugar Bar in Manhattan my last night there when wouldn't you know it, Valerie Simpson was there. No kidding. Well we met her and I just so happened to blurt out that Stacia did a tribute on her show to her[Valerie] and her husband. And Valerie just gave me this weird look, and I was like "Oh no". I couldn't look at her after that. If I get another chance I'll apologize to her for it.

Which brings me to this question: Have you ever met your favorite singer? And if you did, did you react better than I did?
    My dear Dinelle,

Thank you for your service to our country and please stay safe over there. I'm sorry Miss Valerie Simpson wasnt nice to you. Maybe she was having a real bad day.

You take care dear girl.

Fondly,

Roberta

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    I, too, can not say I have one favorite singer. I have many. Let's see - I've met and spoken with Mary Wilson quite a few times. The first time I met her, she was performing at this club in DC on Pennsylvania Ave NW back in the 80's. While speaking with her, I asked her if she could perform more Supremes' songs in her set [[and she just smiled). What an asshole I was! I was very disappointed with myself. So a couple of years ago, I saw Mary perform at Blues Alley and apologized to her for making such an ignoramus statement. She graciously accepted my apology but told me I did not have to apology. What a Supreme Lady!

I also met Ron Banks several years ago here in Atlanta. Well, actually he was walking down the street with another man and I interrupted their conversation. However, I was a bit upset when I told him how much I enjoyed his music and his production of Five Special's "Why Leave Us Alone". He claimed to have no knowledge of that production, so I left it at that. That situation did not stop me from being a fan. I think I took him by surprise.

I met Scherrie Payne, Lynda Laurence and Freddi Poole after a concert in Atlanta - it was a Christmas show a few years ago. Nothing but good things to say. Most of my conversation was geared toward Scherrie since she is my favorite of the three. Freddi was in the limo with Scherrie and I and I took a picture with both. Lynda was outside of the limo talking with Eric, their manager. She was a joy to speak with and be around. I have a picture with her as well. I told Lynda that her dad had kissed me as a baby at a Dixie Hummingbirds' concert. Now, what dude says that?

I even had an opportunity to meet and speak with Jean Terrell after a concert in South Carolina about 5 years ago. She also was a joy to be around. I have a picture with her as well. That same evening, Ronnie Laws was the headliner of the show. I had a chance to meet and speak with him but I was turned off by his attitude. Joe Hunter was at the show as well, he played piano for Jean and he was a great guy. He was just as receptive as Jean.

I met Martha Reeves at a book signing here in Atlanta. She was gracious. I asked her to autograph her book at the chapter of one of my favorite songs [[though I knew she hated it)
    "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing". No harm was intented. When it was time for her to take a pic with me, she asked if it was ok for the guy behind me to be in the photo as well because of the time, I said yes though I wanted badly to say no. But how can you say no to the "First Lady of Motown"

However, I am still waiting to meet Ms Ross - DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!!!

Tyrone
    Not to burst your bubble, but I’m sure Mary probably didn’t even remember your initial statement. Always good to bear in mind that in meet and greet situations, the situation is much more memorable for the fan than the performer. For the fan, it’s a special occasion, for the performer, quite often it’s just part of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Not to burst your bubble, but I’m sure Mary probably didn’t even remember your initial statement. Always good to bear in mind that in meet and greet situations, the situation is much more memorable for the fan than the performer. For the fan, it’s a special occasion, for the performer, quite often it’s just part of the job.
    Part of the job and a great way to sell books and Dvds and CD's which is why Mary Wilson should release and sell her new Life Been Good To Me CD.

I have met the First Lady of Motown Miss Martha Reeves on many occasions and I have to say i have never met a more beautiful lady inside and out and nobody is more gracious and kind than Miss Martha. A world class superstar who love her fans.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Thank you very much for reminding me that "Mary probably didn't even remember your [[my) initial statement". I was quite aware of that. Thanks again.

The first celebrity I met was Diahann Carroll. She was doing a book signing, and I went to see her. When my turn came, I was literally speechless in her presence. She asked my name, and I couldn't remember it. She just laughed, and I gradually recovered.

Since then, I've met many of my favorites, people like Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves, Smokey Robinson and Bettye Lavette, among others. Martha and Bettye in particular were very nice, listening to each and every story that their fans wanted to share. And believe me, some of those stories were very long. It seems as if I always get stuck in the line behind the guy who wants to pour out his entire heart. But they were all very gracious, and generous with their time.