[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Three Degrees at NYC's Club Iridium this weekend

Last night I saw the Three Degrees at Club Iridium in NYC. They’re also playing tonight, 8 PM and 10PM. It was a lot of fun. They performed with a pick up band of musicians. The set started with “Shake Your Groove Thing”. Then Freddie sang “Giving Up, Giving In”. Other songs in the set included: “Take Good Care of Yourself”, Stevie Wonder’s “I Wish” [[co leads by Valerie and Freddie), “Dirty Old Man”, “Get Your Love Back”, “Maybe” [[probably the musical highlight of the night—Valerie was superb delivering that song), a tribute to Philly with a medley of “The Love I Lost”, “Disco Inferno”, “If You Don’t Know Me By Now”, “Love Train”, and a bit of “Theme to Soul Train”. They closed the regular part of their set with a tribute to Whitney Houston by singing “Step by Step”—good choice as it’s not an obvious Whitney song to perform. As they left the stage, they did segue into “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” For the encore, they performed “When Will I see You again” and “Boogie Wonderland”. For both songs, Helen Scott got the audience to participate with some sing along and dancing.

Valerie Holiday and Freddie Pool split the leads. I think Helen only sang lead on “Take Good Care of Yourself”, but she handled most of the stage patter. Helen is very engaging with the patter and interacting with the audience. Valerie had her moments as well, especially on the “Maybe” monologue. Freddie has great stage presence—very sexy, very warm, and friendly with a humorous gleam in her eye. Their harmonies were excellent and true to the classic 3 Degrees sound.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Last night I saw the Three Degrees at Club Iridium in NYC. They’re also playing tonight, 8 PM and 10PM. It was a lot of fun. They performed with a pick up band of musicians. The set started with “Shake Your Groove Thing”. Then Freddie sang “Giving Up, Giving In”. Other songs in the set included: “Take Good Care of Yourself”, Stevie Wonder’s “I Wish” [[co leads by Valerie and Freddie), “Dirty Old Man”, “Get Your Love Back”, “Maybe” [[probably the musical highlight of the night—Valerie was superb delivering that song), a tribute to Philly with a medley of “The Love I Lost”, “Disco Inferno”, “If You Don’t Know Me By Now”, “Love Train”, and a bit of “Theme to Soul Train”. They closed the regular part of their set with a tribute to Whitney Houston by singing “Step by Step”—good choice as it’s not an obvious Whitney song to perform. As they left the stage, they did segue into “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” For the encore, they performed “When Will I see You again” and “Boogie Wonderland”. For both songs, Helen Scott got the audience to participate with some sing along and dancing.

Valerie Holiday and Freddie Pool split the leads. I think Helen only sang lead on “Take Good Care of Yourself”, but she handled most of the stage patter. Helen is very engaging with the patter and interacting with the audience. Valerie had her moments as well, especially on the “Maybe” monologue. Freddie has great stage presence—very sexy, very warm, and friendly with a humorous gleam in her eye. Their harmonies were excellent and true to the classic 3 Degrees sound.
    thanks for taking the time to post an informative review !

http://theiridium.com/events/1465/sc...three-degrees/

Very good review, Smark....wish I could have been there.

Wish Id known! Sounds great. Is Freddie now a permanent member?

Smark did we meet at The Iridium that night.

smark21 Guest
    Maybe, who knows? I hung out for awhile after the show and got to meet Freddie Poole and Helen Scott.