[REMOVE ADS]

Soul arrangements

what are some of the best arrangements u heard in Soul/R&B/Funk/Jazz music??

Quote Originally Posted by oldspice676 View Post
    what are some of the best arrangements u heard in Soul/R&B/Funk/Jazz music??
    The intro to Betty Everett' s " There' ll come a time "
    O'Jays " Backstabbers "
    Dells and Dramatics " Door to your heart "

If You Really Love Me-Stevie Wonder...that's when I knew the man was gonna be around a longggggggg time.....

I'm always blown away by Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man". There's nothing like it in contemporary jazz for me to compare it to. Also, Isaac Hayes' "Theme from 'Shaft'" is the most patient and well composed soul record that I can think of. It builds up so slowly until it's just time to take off and that's exactly what it does. Finally, the instrumental bridge in Kool & the Gang's "Jungle Boogie" is my favorite part of any soul record. I can't explain it, but it just feels like they worked on it for a long time and after somebody finally put it together, everybody just thought to themselves: "Oh, hell yeah!"

Anything arranged by Gene Page!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Anything arranged by Gene Page!
    Gene Page was "The Master". Paul Riser was no slouch either.

Whoever arranged Just The Way You Are Today by Barbara Lewis. Was it Dale Warren? That was some pretty sophisticated stuff to come out of Detroit then - equal to anything done in New York or Los Angeles.

Isaac Hayes - "The Look Of Love" and "Walk On By"

Also, anything by Ashford & Simpson

Isaac Hayes - "The Look Of Love" and "Walk On By"
    no doubt...........

Treat Me Like a Man/Dramatics

At The Concert/Michael Henderson

Masterpiece/Temptations

On It /John Coltrane & Hank Mobley

Juffure/Grover Washington Jr

Bring Back The Love of Yesterday/Dells

Close as I Get To Heaven/Betty Lavette

Love I saw in You Just a Mirage & Sad Times/Smokey

Nature Planned it & Stillwater/ Four Tops

Hunter gets Captured by Game/Marvellettes

Bert de Coteaux-- Also a master,

His arrangement of , "Happiness is Just Around The Bend" and "Rolling Down A Mountainside" by the Main Ingredient--- outstanding

My bad, Just the Way You Are Today by Barbara Lewis was produced and arranged by Mike Terry and according to the disc notes it was recorded in Chicago, not Detroit like I thought.

Anything Gaye, Mayfield ,Leroy Burgess ,Paitch, Quincy , Barry White, Tom Tom 84.

So many come to mind...i love you secrectly-the miracles[great background arrangement]..steamboat-the drifters..young wings can fly-ruby and the romantics..girl[why you wanna make me blue]-the temps..the high harmonies of the impressions[magnificent]..respect-aretha..when you walked in-the five royales..i'll try something new-the miracles[the harp opening is a killer]..the sparrow-marvin gaye[one of the best jazz-soul songs ever]..thrill-friends-ray,goodman,brown..thriller-m.j.[vincent price is priceless]..mind over matter-the pirates[that guitar solo]..take five live version[drum solo anyone?]..happiness togetherness-heatwave[very cool]..you don't miss your water-william bell[let the church say amen]..spanish harlem-ben e.king[i still think the drifters were singing background,hehe]..i can't find-smokey[who else?]..home cookin-jr,walker[who says motown ain't got soul??]..so near yet so far-little anthony[ahhh puppy love,hehe]..!

Of course there's the Grandmasters , Nelson Riddle , Billy May and Quincy Jones. Anything they touched is classic.
    Gil Askey's arrangement of Runaway Love by Linda Clifford is excellent.