[REMOVE ADS]

R.I.P. Lillian Lopez Jackson of Odyssey [["Native New Yorker")

Saw this on Facebook a few minutes ago. This hits home a bit because I interviewed Mrs. Jackson a few months ago for a story on Odyssey for the next issue of A Touch of Classic Soul. She spoke of being a survivor of multiple cancers, but said nothing about it coming back.

Thanks much for "Native New Yorker" and "Don't Tell Me, Tell Her."

R.I.P. LILLIAN LOPEZ-CALLAZO-JACKSON [[November 16, 1935 - September 4, 2012)

Message from her son Steven Andre:
    "It is with tremendous sadness that I announce the passing of my Mother, my mentor, and my very best friend, the founder and first voice of ODYSSEY, Lillian Lopez Collazo Jackson, who died peacefully in hospice on September 4th due to stage four cancer at the age of 76... She will live on in spirit through Annis, Anne, and me as we endeavour to carry on her legacy; to continue the musical journey that is, and always was, ODYSSEY... And of course, her magical voice can still be heard on practically any day, anywhere in the UK: When next you do, and if you can, TURN IT UP! She'd like that... Goodbye Ma, and Thank You..."

That's sad to hear. RIP Ms. Jackson. You left us a classic song.

What terrible news! I LOVED Odyssey! Of course Native New Yorker started it all and what a song!!! But I also liked Hang Together, Down Boy, and a whole host of others.

Her birth date surprises me, because that means she was into her 40s before they began their string of hits.

I remember her and Odyssey. Great group! They had a unique look and sound. Rest in peace Liz.

Marv

Only just came across this news, that is very sad indeed. Apparently she passed away in Basingstoke, UK, not far from where I am writing this. Didn't she also write some children's books in her later years with her husband? A very talented lady and she also came across as very likeable, great charisma. Here is my own favourite Oddyssey track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNMe...eature=related

As an addendum, here is a link to the children's stories she wrote, the 'About the Author' section, which I have pasted separately below is Lillian's CV in her own words; what an impressive lady she was. RIP

http://www.amazon.com/Eight-Short-St.../dp/1463446721

About the Author

In November of 1935, I was born to Cyril and Lilian Lopez in Stamford, Connecticut. I studied piano and theory. I married Inocencio Collazo. We had three sons, Steven, Keith and Kevin, a dog, two Siamese cats and a parrot. I am a Cancer Survivor, writing, singing and performing. I received a Grammy Award for co-writing the song "Bubblin Brown Sugar" for the Broadway musical, of the same name. My company, Presa International, in conjucnction with AuthorHouse, published my first book, "Bowling Green" I have also written three other books, waiting to be published. I am the lead for the world famous group Odyssey, noted for the hit song "Native New Yorker" We are listed in the U.S and British Guinness Book of World Records. I received Poetry.com award for the poem "The Chimp in Me", which is in my forthcoming children's book. I'm also listed in Sanfords Who's Who Black Book.

Lillian is now with her heavenly father but we earthly mortals will never forget her musical contribution. I shall play native New Yorker tonight and smile knowing that she is at home with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

"I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
    Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
    Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
    I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
    Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
    Heaven’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;
    In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me."

With respect and admiration.

Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta75; 10-30-2012 at 02:58 PM.

honest man Guest
    Odyssey loved them in the 80s big act in the uk then USE IT UP,,,LOOKING FOR A WAY OUT,GOING BACK TO MY ROOTS,INSIDE OUT , etc loved them ,the 2 women where gorgeous may God bless her,thanks for wonderful memories.

I remember two great songs, "Native New Yorker" and "Inside Out"...RIP, Ms. Jackson, and thank you...

Best,

Mark