[REMOVE ADS]

Talking You Can't Hurry Love

YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE has been released on many CDs. Which release do you think has the best sound quality -- including background vocals? Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE has been released on many CDs. Which release do you think has the best sound quality -- including background vocals? Thanks!!!
    Whatever version is the one on Motown Classics: Gold is, is in my opinion the best. It's appeared on a few other discs as well. It doesn't have that "empty" sound like on the 50th Anniversary box set, or the alternate on "Let The Music Play". It's a lot more bass heavy and hard hitting.

In my opinion, You Can't Hurry Love is not only the greatest Motown track ever, but the one of the greatest songs of all time. But, you gotta have that Jamerson bass blasting!!!

This is also probably my favorite Motown record.

I really, really love the original album version, and on "Motown Classics: Gold," too. The bass is killer. I love the version on "#1's" for the heavier background vocals and extended mix.

They do a really good live version on the Ed Sullivan Show, as well as at the Copa. Their Italian recording is really good, too.

The Four Tops covered it at the Roostertail in 1966, and that's good, too.

Is the Motown Classics: Gold version on any other CD?

For me, the original mono single mix is the one to go for. This is available on "The Complete Motown SIngles 1966" Various Artists set and also on the Supremes' own "Ultimate Collection" from 1998.

You can also check it out on YouTube here: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-VQGTE2Bw

This mix has a stab of horns in the intro that immediately follows the drummer's one beat pick up in a great "one-two" that really sets the track up. There's not much reverb when compared with the original stereo mix, and the whole mix is up front with a huge amount of drive. Also, the bass is muted during the first verse, which enhances the build up to the first chorus. [[Many thanks to Steve Hoffman for pointing that out.) Love it!

The Number 1's mix is [[IMHO) a lost opportunity since it also omits this stab of horns. Perhaps this stab of horns was dubbed straight onto the final mono master.

Sadly [[IMHO), Phil Collins studied the original stereo mix very closely when creating his 80s hit single.

Still, those who heard the Phil Collins version first and liked it and then noticed how similar it was to the Supremes stereo mix will probably wonder what I'm on about and why I prefer the rather dry mono version.

I'd say the mono single mix is the best sounding mix also. As for which mastering of it is the best, and there are many, you'll have to be the judge of that!

I always liked the way the bass line was muted on the single mix just after the start when the guitars come in. [[For some reason, I had it in my head that is was Lawrence Horn who mixed the single version, but I checked and it was actually Brian Holland).

If you like remixes, then the version with the alternate vocal [[complete with the edited out bridge and with fluffed line) on the 'Lost & Found 'set sounds more punchier than the No 1s remix to me, and you get to hear the track right until the music stops. The BGV are also more prominant in this mix.

Sotosound, the horn stabs are on the original stereo mix and remixes [[including the quad mix and Italian language version), it's just that most of these mixes have reverb on them, whereas the single mix doesn't.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 10-21-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Umm.

I've just listened to the original stereo mix and the other stereo mixes/re-mixes I mention, and the horns at the start are there, but are just not as prominant as they are in the single mix. And they appear to be dry too.

I initially thought that there were two sets of horns on the multitrack, but what I can actually hear on the stereo mixes at the same time as the horns is a guitar, which, unless you listen closely, masks the horns.

On the single mix you can't hear this guitar, so it must have been mixed out at that point, hence the prominance of the horns.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 10-21-2012 at 06:03 PM.