[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ross:

Were you talking about "Break It Up" by Jr. Walker or "Can't Break The Habit" by MRV? Also, "Can't Break The Habit" wasn't on their Lost & Found set. It appear on the Dance Party / Watchout! 2-fer, which was a different version than on the Brightest Stars LP.

RossHolloway Guest
    Johnny raven - thank you for that correction! I was indeed referring to Can't Break The Habit. I wish the version from the Brightest Stars would make its way onto cd

Ross: Just wondering if I needed clarification or more coffee. I agree that the Brightest Stars version should be on CD.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Ross: Just wondering if I needed clarification or more coffee. I agree that the Brightest Stars version should be on CD.
    No worries Johnny raven it was all me.

I would love to think Universal wouldn't drag their feet with a U.K issue date on this as happened with 'I Hear A Symphony' . Before Christmas would be good so I can get it as a present.

Looks great. I'm staggeringly excited about hearing all this new music from Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Strange, it's only showing disc 1 ... and no longer posted at Hip-O-Select.

RossHolloway Guest
    Did anyone else notice that there will only be 1500 copies?!

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Did anyone else notice that there will only be 1500 copies?!
    Just a reminder that number is only the amount available to buy directly from the Hip-O Select USA website. That number does not include the discs Amazon, physical stores, or overseas customers get if bought through those avenues instead before there's a panic.
    Last edited by Glenpwood; 11-12-2012 at 10:57 AM.

The full track list has now been posted.

http://bit.ly/Uk2Ucz
    Last edited by hwume; 11-12-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    The full track list has now been posted.

http://bit.ly/Uk2Ucz

Thanks for posting this. Another forum jumped the gun and posted what was thought to be the track list. It says "in stock," does that mean it's ready to be rolled out to buyers?

Does anyone know what is meant by "Graystone Version" in reference to "Strange Love" in the track list?

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Does anyone know what is meant by "Graystone Version" in reference to "Strange Love" in the track list?
    Yes, I do...

It was recorded at the Graystone, not the Snakepit, with a live orchestra but no audience, with the intention to create a "live" track for her "live" album. Ultimately no "live" ambience was added and this version was shelved. Until now.

Thanks for the explanation, sir! Can't wait to get my copy!

RossHolloway Guest
    Aint that Good News!

Harry, this brings up a point. Were any of the other selections on her live lp recorded at the Graystone? Two tracks, Operator and Old Love were studio versions with live ambience.

Also, were the stereo mixes done in the 60s or by your people today?

[QUOTE=BayouMotownMan;131142]Harry, this brings up a point. Were any of the other selections on her live lp recorded at the Graystone? Two tracks, Operator and Old Love were studio versions with live ambience.

The version of "I Don't Want To Take A Chance" is definitely not the original studio recording; it doesn't have any live ambience.

Mixes of all tracks except two were done this year on vintage equipment with vintage EQ and compression, then captured digitally. The remaining two were taken from the only existing masters, mono reference mix tapes from 1963, that were also mastered analog then captured digitally.

We didn't find any other without-audience tracks from the Graystone that were not released.

RossHolloway Guest
    I just pre-ordered this release!

A little something from inside the booklet - taken with my [[lousy) phone camera: Mary listening to her latest release.

Name:  IMG00074-20121116-1146.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  110.3 KB

RossHolloway Guest
    HW do we know what release Mary was listening to?

I just preordered my copy today. Thank you, HW and Hip-O Select! Now how about that Junior Walker box set with his unreleased '70s albums? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    HW do we know what release Mary was listening to?
    No - the photo doesn't show exactly what, sorry for leading anyone on.

You can listen to samples on amazon.com now!
    http://www.amazon.com/Something-New-...rds=mary+wells

I love the jazzy arrangements on the standards...not quite as "wow" as Brenda Holloway's "Summertime" [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2a8qtH9eBk), but a fun listen nonetheless [[and I love the uptempo take on "Always").

The Hip-O site ship date for this was yesterday. Any word yet on it being enrote to us?

RossHolloway Guest
    @ Glenpwood - good question, I pre-ordered this and my credit card was originally charged over a week and a half ago, but the charge has since disappeared. I wonder what is going on...

Am wondering the same thing...Hip-O's website now says "SITE SHIP DATE: 11/27/2012 **please note new ship date."

i looked at my order today and it said "shipped". Looking forward to it.

I received an email yesterday stating that mine was shipped on November 28.

RossHolloway Guest
    I also received a shipping confirmation yesterday. I can't wait to listen to this release.

Yes this definitely sounds like a winner

Mary just arrived at my desk and all I can say is WOW at the packaging and essay. Love the picture of Marvin and Mary in the booklet as well. Can't wait to get home and play the music.

Harry, received mine today and once again I'm blown away! Outstanding package and production! The Second Time Around sessions have been well worth the wait [[listened to disc 2 first). LOVE IT!! Harry and team NEVER DISAPPOINT!! Thanks!!!!

So glad the initial response has been so positive. Enjoy!

Listening to my copy right now. Loving it. The extended endings are great. Some of the tunes sound different to my ears. Not sure if it's because they are stereo mixes or just slightly longer. Thanks for this release.

Nice pic of Mary...

It's £25.62 on amazon.co.uk...it's gone down in price significantly

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    It's £25.62 on amazon.co.uk...it's gone down in price significantly
    I just received confirmation that my CD was shipped 12/1/12. I ordered it from www.importcds.com. The price to the US was $27.10 plus a mere $2.99 shipping. This is in my opinion the cheapest vendor in the USA for imports/non-imports. They are very prompt and have excellent customer service. I don't think it would be that cheap from anyone else in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I just received confirmation that my CD was shipped 12/1/12. I ordered it from www.importcds.com. The price to the US was $27.10 plus a mere $2.99 shipping. This is in my opinion the cheapest vendor in the USA for imports/non-imports. They are very prompt and have excellent customer service. I don't think it would be that cheap from anyone else in the US.
    Great price! Mine shipped today from amazon.com for $34.00.

RossHolloway Guest
    My copy just arrived!

My copy just arrived a short time ago. I've read the very informative booklet. So excited that within the 47 tracks contained on this set are the equivalent [[25 tracks) of two complete unreleased albums by Mary! Heaven!! Thank you Harry Weinger - and some new names; mixed by Obie O' Brien and mastered by Seth Foster - and everyone else involved in this project. Another top notch product from Hip-O! Now it's time for the listening!

RossHolloway Guest
    Still listening to Disc 1 and taking in some of the exceptionals cuts. Not ready to move to Disc 2 yet.

RossHolloway Guest
    I've been listening to Disc 1 at my desk for the better part of the day again today and the song 'That's Why I Love You [[Like I Do)' is a complete RELEVATION. I absolutely love this song and have probably replayed it over a Dozen times today. It's Mary and Smokey at their best. For some unknown reason I keep thinking of Sam Cooke when I listen to this song. Thoughts from those who have listened to this song?

Boo hoo!

Hello,

We’re sorry to have to let you know that an unexpected delay from our suppliers means that the following items may not be delivered by Christmas:

Mary Wells "Something New: Motown Lost & Found"
    Estimated arrival date: January 31 2013 - February 02 2013

We'll keep trying to get these items for you, and we'll send them out as soon as we receive them. Other items that may be in stock will still dispatch separately, with no increase in the total delivery charges.

Please read the FAQs at the end of this e-mail for more details.
    If you’d now prefer to cancel the above, or any items from your order, you can do so by going to "Your Orders" in "Your Account" or by clicking the link below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/css/hist...ders/view.html

Find the relevant order and click the “Cancel items” button. Then select the check box next to any items that you wish to cancel and click on "Cancel checked items".

You haven't been charged for this item yet as we don't debit money from your payment card until just before your items are dispatched. We'll send you a confirmation e-mail when your items are dispatched to confirm the date, contents and method of delivery.

Again, we're sorry that we haven't been able to fulfil your expectations for this important order.

We hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.co.uk

This is the usual pattern:
    The Hip-O releases are sold through Amazon UK / HMV, etc . usually 4-6 weeks after release in the USA.
    We were always lucky to get them at much lower prices in Europe, but that seems over now with the recent Supremes/ J5 and Marvin Gaye releases.

RossHolloway Guest
    Why not just order from the US Amazon?

After learning that Amazon don't pay much business tax on their UK income, lots of people are turning away from Amazon altogether. Of course the reason is down to clever accountants!!

But you can't blame me though, I've retired! LOL

A question for you Harry. Apart from the songs that are appearing in stereo for the first time, do you have a list of mono resp. stereo of the completely previously unreleased songs?