[REMOVE ADS]




Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 87 of 87
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,460
    I don’t think being attacked at a nightclub by the wife of the man you’re fooling around with constitutes bullying. Maybe the wife had poor conflict management skills, but that’s not bullying. Besides, from most accounts, Diana Ross was no shrinking flower when it came to engaging in “mean girl” drama.

  2. #52
    ^ All the Motown women were known to throw down. Diana ain't the only one... all of them (Martha, Florence, Tammi, Kim, Mary, etc.) were rough around the edges and weren't scared to throw down if they felt they needed to, wrong or right. No one was an innocent... Bettye should know. She's a Detroit girl just like Ree Ree and her kin and we know how the Franklins got down...

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ All the Motown women were known to throw down. Diana ain't the only one... all of them (Martha, Florence, Tammi, Kim, Mary, etc.) were rough around the edges and weren't scared to throw down if they felt they needed to, wrong or right. No one was an innocent... Bettye should know. She's a Detroit girl just like Ree Ree and her kin and we know how the Franklins got down...
    You don't know the half of it! LOL!!!! oh LOL!!

  4. #54
    Eddie must have been out of his mind, because Sharon Holland was a gorgeous, beautiful lady. Her pic is on here......

  5. #55
    Almost every Motown book tells of that Diana Ross story and Sharon Holland. ex. Mary's, Martha's, and now Bettye's. Bettye's being the most honest and descriptive. I believe Motown controls what their artists say about them and this is one of the stories that they allow to be told. That's why everyone one is telling the story. But by now it's a lame story. We need other juice LOL

  6. #56
    I thought it was BRIAN Holland that was the Playboy not Eddie.Atleast in this case.

  7. #57
    It sounds like Bettye suffers from low self-esteem and career envy.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    It sounds like Bettye suffers from low self-esteem and career envy.
    Where do you HEAR that?

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    It sounds like Bettye suffers from low self-esteem and career envy.
    The fact that Miss Lavette feel that some women deserve a beating from a man turned me off purchasing her autobiography.

    Roberta

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    The fact that Miss Lavette feel that some women deserve a beating from a man turned me off purchasing her autobiography.

    Roberta
    Don't worry, there will be plenty of grown up folks that will be buying Miss Bettye's book.

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    The fact that Miss Lavette feel that some women deserve a beating from a man turned me off purchasing her autobiography.

    Roberta
    I don't think she wrote such a thing...

    Of course you're free to not buy her book but I can tell you that you'll miss something !
    Last edited by phil; 11-03-2012 at 06:39 AM.

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    I don't think she wrote such a thing...

    Of course you're free to not buy her book but I can tell you that you'll miss something !
    Actually she did write such a thing phil and had this to say about Tina Turner.

    “Hundreds of men would have whisked her off in a hot minute, but she stayed because she wanted to learn the lessons his beatings taught. Those lessons resulted in her becoming a millionaire many times over.”

    I think Miss Turner stayed with Ike out of fear and low self esteem.

    Sorry but I can't pay money for this book as i have a real big issue with any man who beat their woman.

    Yours, with every good wish.

    Roberta

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Actually she did write such a thing phil and had this to say about Tina Turner.

    “Hundreds of men would have whisked her off in a hot minute, but she stayed because she wanted to learn the lessons his beatings taught. Those lessons resulted in her becoming a millionaire many times over.”

    I think Miss Turner stayed with Ike out of fear and low self esteem.

    Sorry but I can't pay money for this book as i have a real big issue with any man who beat their woman.

    Yours, with every good wish.

    Roberta
    You don't like it, don't buy it. Keep you change in your wallet. Simple as that. A lot more people are going to buy and enjoy reading it!

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Actually she did write such a thing phil and had this to say about Tina Turner.

    “Hundreds of men would have whisked her off in a hot minute, but she stayed because she wanted to learn the lessons his beatings taught. Those lessons resulted in her becoming a millionaire many times over.”
    Roberta, she also wrote : "A word about physical violence. I realize it's politically incorrect to admit this, but the sight of a man slapping a woman did not horrify me. Context is everything. In the context of Detroit showbiz culture of the sixties, men slapped their women around.They just did. It may sound radical to say so, but some women needed that. Some women even benefitted from that.We all knew-we saw it with our owneyes- that Ted was slapping Areta around. But without Ted's grooming, Aretha would never have been a superstar.

    Same with Ike and Tina...Without Ike,there would be no Tina...Tina could have left Ike at will. She chose to stay because she wanted to learn the lessons he had to teach. And those lessons resulted in her becoming a millionaire many times over"


  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Roberta, she also wrote : "A word about physical violence. I realize it's politically incorrect to admit this, but the sight of a man slapping a woman did not horrify me. Context is everything. In the context of Detroit showbiz culture of the sixties, men slapped their women around.They just did. It may sound radical to say so, but some women needed that. Some women even benefitted from that.We all knew-we saw it with our owneyes- that Ted was slapping Areta around. But without Ted's grooming, Aretha would never have been a superstar.

    Same with Ike and Tina...Without Ike,there would be no Tina...Tina could have left Ike at will. She chose to stay because she wanted to learn the lessons he had to teach. And those lessons resulted in her becoming a millionaire many times over"

    I must respectfully disagree with you Phil. I have zero tolerance for any man who beat or slap a woman. My best friend at church was in a real abusive marriage for years but was scared to leave him because he threatened her and her kids. Finally our pastor and some of us at church convinced her to leave him but I cant and will never condone or accept any sort of physical violence. I saw what that man did to a once confidant woman. He bruised her face and body and ruin her self esteem. This is the reason I cant but Miss Lavette book.

    Yours, with every good wish.

    Roberta

  16. #66
    My father never raised his hand to my mother. To say that some women needed to be slapped around horrifies me.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    My father never raised his hand to my mother. To say that some women needed to be slapped around horrifies me.
    Me too 144man.

    Fondly,

    Roberta

  18. #68
    I like Bettye cause she tells the truth. As far as I'm concerned everybody else at Motown are punks cause they don't wanna tell the truth. Them and everybody else in the 60's. She be telling the truth.

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I must respectfully disagree with you Phil. I have zero tolerance for any man who beat or slap a woman.
    I totally agree with you Roberta, I was just trying to say -and Bettye wrote it - that it was a common practice in the black showbiz at the time.

    And I think exactly like summer 96 "I like Bettye cause she tells the truth"
    Last edited by phil; 11-04-2012 at 06:43 AM.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,460
    Here's another review of the book:

    http://www.avclub.com/articles/betty...like-me,88574/

  21. #71
    I wonder why Stevie is on her sh*t list. LMAO!

  22. #72
    Bettye had a thing about Norman Whitfield! She wasn't impressed with him, that's for sure.

    I have to say, I loved the book and couldn't put it down until I got to the end

  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I wonder why Stevie is on her sh*t list. LMAO!
    According to most of the reviews I've read... it seems that everyone in or from Detroit is on her sh*t list.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-17-2012 at 09:25 AM.

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    According to most of the reviews I've read... it seems that everyone in or from Detroit is on her sh*t list.
    LOL I see...

  25. #75
    Jr.
    Everyone? Really? I suggest you read the book instead of basing your own review on other people's reviews.

  26. #76
    I did read the book and I know what's in it.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-17-2012 at 08:23 PM.

  27. #77
    If you DID read it, then you know that this statement is an outright lie.
    " it seems that everyone in or from Detroit is on her sh*t list."

  28. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    If you DID read it, then you know that this statement is an outright lie.
    " it seems that everyone in or from Detroit is on her sh*t list."
    If people spend their hard earned money on a book they should be allowed to say and post whatever they want about their interpretation of the book they buy its their money and this is is a free country.

    Respectfully yours,

    Roberta

  29. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    If people spend their hard earned money on a book they should be allowed to say and post whatever they want about their interpretation of the book they buy its their money and this is is a free country.

    Respectfully yours,

    Roberta
    I agree. I only said what I think. And I said "it seems," which indicates how I perceived things. It doesn't mean it is, but how I interpreted it. If you write and publish a book, you should be prepared for people to judge it and form opinions. Or as someone else once said: If you wanna be a clown, you better be prepared to take a few pies in the face. The pies in the face come with the job so don't be surprised or have your feelings hurt.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-19-2012 at 11:22 PM.

  30. #80
    Clearly she is misguided to put it mildly to say a woman may needs to be slapped. I hope she doesnt feel that way now!

  31. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    People can say whatever the fuck they want.

    For the record, Bettye could give 2 fucks what any of her critics have to say.
    Oh, I just bet she doesn't. What did she tell one writer? Even if you say something bad about her, just say her name. Uh-huh! SHE should also be smart and mature enough to know that not everyone is going to see agree with everything she says, care about how she feels or concur with whatever she believes or thinks.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-19-2012 at 03:23 PM.

  32. #82
    I bought the book via Amazon.com and read it straight through. She does not suffer fools and pulls no punches.

    My favorite part (aside from the beat down Diana got from Sharon Holland): The incident after she got an award, where G.C. Cameron and her were at the bar. When he informed Bettye that Norman Whitfield passed away, she replied, "Good."

  33. #83
    But what she fails to do is to say exactly what it was Norman Whitfield did to her personally for her to hold him in such contempt. Her comment after learning of Whitfield's passing showed nescience, in my opinion. In her book, she shows the same disdain for Aretha Franklin and others. Just what did some of these people do to her that would justify her animosity? Maybe she will come on the forum and answer me. Yeah, right!
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.

  34. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by jalowe1957 View Post
    I bought the book via Amazon.com and read it straight through. She does not suffer fools and pulls no punches.

    My favorite part (aside from the beat down Diana got from Sharon Holland): The incident after she got an award, where G.C. Cameron and her were at the bar. When he informed Bettye that Norman Whitfield passed away, she replied, "Good."
    How can you be happy when someone pass away? Miss LaVette seems to have a lot of pent up anger and bitterness and frustration and needs to find some peace and forgiveness in her heart and soul.

    I feel real sorry for Bettye LaVette and will pray she find peace.

    Fondly,

    Roberta

  35. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by jalowe1957 View Post

    My favorite part (aside from the beat down Diana got from Sharon Holland): The incident after she got an award, where G.C. Cameron and her were at the bar. When he informed Bettye that Norman Whitfield passed away, she replied, "Good."
    Personnally my favorite part is her speech in front of all the Detroiters, ending with these lines "And if I'm a legend at all, it's because I know people in Detroit who Berry Gordy still owes fifty dollars to, from when they worked with him on the Chrysler line. I'd like to say that people in this room helped to get me where I am, but they didn't.But that's okay. I'm here, I'm sytanding all, andI'm going to sing you a song."

  36. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Personnally my favorite part is her speech in front of all the Detroiters, ending with these lines "And if I'm a legend at all, it's because I know people in Detroit who Berry Gordy still owes fifty dollars to, from when they worked with him on the Chrysler line. I'd like to say that people in this room helped to get me where I am, but they didn't.But that's okay. I'm here, I'm sytanding all, andI'm going to sing you a song."
    I'd love to have been a fly on the wall!!

    I also LOVE the line when Bettye first comes into contact with Kevin. "So you're into antiques....I'm a bit of an antique myself!" I couldn't stop laughing at that line.

    I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I couldn't put it down once I started it. More importantly. I was checking out the music whilst I was going through the book and discovered that there were some songs that I hadn't heard before...one of which I have gone crazy over.


  37. #87
    I sometimes listen to music when I read some book.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-20-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.