[REMOVE ADS]

Steely Dan's "Aja" released 35 years ago today

One of my all-time favorite albums, "Aja" by Steely Dan, was released 35 years ago today [[Sept. 23, 1977). The album is considered the high watermark of Steely Dan's career, and was their best selling LP.

Originally released on ABC records, the album went all the way to #3 on Billboard's Hot 100 album charts in the U.S., and into the Top 5 in the U.K. The LP went platinum, selling over 5 million copies, and won the 1978 Grammy Award for Best Engineered Non-Classical Recording. It is listed at #145 among Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

Aja was mostly recorded in early 1977 at various studios in Hollywood. Gary Katz was the producer. The track lineup:

Black Cow
    Aja
    Deacon Blues
    Peg
    Home At Last
    I Got the News
    Josie

In addition to Donald Fagan and Walter Becker, a host of great musicians played on the sessions, including Tom Scott, Bernard Purdie, Paul Humphrey, Larry Carlton, Chuck Rainey, Joe Sample, Jay Graydon, Larry Carlton, Victor Feldman, Lee Ritenour, Don Grolnick, Michael McDonald, Venetta Fields and Clydie King, among others. The great musical high point of the record is the explosive drumming of Steve Gadd and sax solo by Wayne Shorter during the extended interlude on the title track.

This album is one of my two desert island discs [[the other being What's Going On by MG). There isn't a single dull musical moment on the entire record! It's now 35 years old, and sounds like it hasn't aged a day. That's the mark of great music.

So dig out your copy of Aja today, give it a spin, drink your big black cow, and get outta here. So outrageous!

Info from Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aja_[[album)

Lost my copy many years ago, jd, but thanks to youtube I can listen to much of it again until
    I can get another. You're right, it was a great release and Steely Dan was a great blend of
    pop, rock and jazz fusion....

I bought this album when it came out. Hard to believe it's been so long ago now.

I also bought it when it came out. I was in high school. I love the album, and my favorite track is "Black Cow".

The only song I skip is "I Got The News". I sometimes skip "Peg" because i've just heard it too damn much.

I have not only the wonderful Steve Hoffman CD mastering of this album, but the excellent Cisco Records audiophile vinyl.

I love that part on the second verse of "Josie" where one of them says "Yow!".

Aja has to be the most played single album of my days in college. It was launched my freshman year and guys played it to death until Gaucho appeared in '80. I didn't like the LP that much back then [[maybe heard it too much), but I love it now. Will have to give it a spin this evening.

Hey! This just reminded me that Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good" album should be about 35 years old now too. I remember they were out around the same time.

Hard to believe...I went to the record dept at JL Hudsons at Northland to buy the album and got home and the album was warped. Two more trips back...two more warped AJA's untill I finally got a good one. That L.P. turned me on to the Dan. Didn't realize back then how legendary several of those musicians would become in the music world in 2012.

Northland? What was the name of the record store [[near the Big Boy) over by where the busses pulled in. Harmony House? Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    Northland? What was the name of the record store [[near the Big Boy) over by where the busses pulled in. Harmony House? Inquiring minds want to know.
    I remember the Harmony House chain . I remember when Hudson's was at Northland,but can't remember if HH was there too.