[REMOVE ADS]

Undisputed Truth - Smiling Faces Sometimes

A chill went right down my spine when the vocal started. One of the all time best performances

Yep, brilliant, Joe always was.

Mind you, the look has changed a little since then... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O271C69yeeU

Another version of this song that I also love is by Joan Osborne featuring both Isaac Hayes and Meshell N'degeocello
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3H3UbiBB9o

It's off her terrific CD of covers, HOW SWEET IT IS [[her version of the title track is another one of many standouts):
    http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/...joan-howsweet/
    Last edited by ejluther; 07-18-2012 at 04:28 PM.

I`ve just received a sealed copy of the album and I`ll have it on CD soon.I can`t wait to hear it. Thanks everybody.

I'd still LOVE to see a TV performance of the original lineup.

great stuff,thanks theboy........

Gosh he sounds really good!

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Jill .. You might want to try this link to a 2008 Mojo Magazine rundown of "the best Motown performances"

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2008/..._playlist.html

About half of the links to the videos no longer work, but #11 "Smiling Faces" is one that still does .. the UNDISPUTED TRUTH are in full make-up with gold faces and white afro wigs. Presumably it is the original line-up?

#12 .. A brilliant performance of "Didn't You Know You'd Have To Cry Sometime" by GLADYS KNIGHT still works as well

Roger

This was one of the best Motown performances/songs and one where they completely outshone the Temptations version and one which has stood up well over time.

I still can't believe it wasn't a hit in the UK.

I posted this on the forum...it's excellent and very recent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx7oGW4gRMU
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 07-19-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Jill .. You might want to try this link to a 2008 Mojo Magazine rundown of "the best Motown performances"

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2008/..._playlist.html

About half of the links to the videos no longer work, but #11 "Smiling Faces" is one that still does .. the UNDISPUTED TRUTH are in full make-up with gold faces and white afro wigs. Presumably it is the original line-up?

#12 .. A brilliant performance of "Didn't You Know You'd Have To Cry Sometime" by GLADYS KNIGHT still works as well

Roger
    thats from the cosmic truth era 1975,3 blokes and a girl,not 2 girls one bloke [[how technical was that?) so its not the original line up.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    thats from the cosmic truth era 1975,3 blokes and a girl,not 2 girls one bloke [[how technical was that?) so its not the original line up.
    Well then Tamla617 .. My "Best of The Undisputed Truth" C.D. shows the line-up as Four Blokes and One Bird [[Girl) so I'm wondering how that fits in ....

In answer to 144man's comment about it never being a hit in Britain .. I don't recall ever hearing it played on BBC Radio One or Luxembourg and, if I remember correctly, it got a so-so review from James Hemilton in Record-Mirror. I got to know the song through hearing it on A.F.N. a few times, though it was only a year or so later I got a copy .. personally I love everything about the record and the lyrics are so true it is unbelievable. Wasn't the "B" side "You Got The Love I Need" a big "Northern Soul" record for a while?

Roger

Wasn`t the original line up Joe Harris with Brenda Joyce Evans and Billie Rae Calvin from the Delicates ?

I worked for WEA New Zealand in the 70`s and "Method To The Madness" on Whitfield went gold due to cassette sales in the South Sea Islands.

I remember when that first came out with the original line up of the Undisputed Truth. I know I'm dating myself. A really great song!
    Last edited by rta5225; 07-19-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Well then Tamla617 .. My "Best of The Undisputed Truth" C.D. shows the line-up as Four Blokes and One Bird [[Girl) so I'm wondering how that fits in ....

In answer to 144man's comment about it never being a hit in Britain .. I don't recall ever hearing it played on BBC Radio One or Luxembourg and, if I remember correctly, it got a so-so review from James Hemilton in Record-Mirror. I got to know the song through hearing it on A.F.N. a few times, though it was only a year or so later I got a copy .. personally I love everything about the record and the lyrics are so true it is unbelievable. Wasn't the "B" side "You Got The Love I Need" a big "Northern Soul" record for a while?

Roger
    that best of cd shows the later line up.their 1st lp has just the 3,one geezer and a couple of sorts!

the forth bloke is an extra from the film "the third man".see if that fits i'm confused.com
    Last edited by tamla617; 07-20-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Sorry to bring this old thread up again but I just HAVE to see "Smiling Faces" performed by the original trio. Has any footage appeared since this thread? Is it likely to appear?!! I just love the song so much and I need to see it performed!!!!! Hehe

I found out that the group performed the song on Soul Train at least two times, the first in January 1972 and the second in October:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0849290/
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0845896/

So they definitely DID perform the song on TV but will this footage ever come to light again?

I saw Joe "Pep" Harris in Detroit last April. We attended the "Motown in Black and White" event.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I saw Joe "Pep" Harris in Detroit last April. We attended the "Motown in Black and White" event.
    Marv, that's so great! Joe Harris is just a musical legend!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Sorry to bring this old thread up again but I just HAVE to see "Smiling Faces" performed by the original trio. Has any footage appeared since this thread? Is it likely to appear?!! I just love the song so much and I need to see it performed!!!!! Hehe

I found out that the group performed the song on Soul Train at least two times, the first in January 1972 and the second in October:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0849290/
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0845896/

So they definitely DID perform the song on TV but will this footage ever come to light again?
    Does anyone remember watching the group perform the song, on Soul Train or anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    A chill went right down my spine when the vocal started. One of the all time best performances

This is a great performance, love the girls vocals [[although not the original members) and the orchestration. What year was this from?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    This is a great performance, love the girls vocals [[although not the original members) and the orchestration. What year was this from?
    Hey masterblaster, I believe the two ladies are Jaki G Fondren and Dazee Love. They have been members of The Undisputed Truth since 2008. I don't know when or where this show was but it would have been sometime between 2008 [[when they joined) and 2011 [[when the video was uploaded).

Hey masterblaster, I believe the two ladies are Jaki G Fondren and Dazee Love. They have been members of The Undisputed Truth since 2008. I don't know when or where this show was but it would have been sometime between 2008 [[when they joined) and 2011 [[when the video was uploaded).
    This was filmed for PBS in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    This was filmed for PBS in 2005.
    Oh ok, I am wrong!!!! Do you remember watching it or something, johnny?

Yes. I saw it when it originally aired and have the DVD, which is copyrighted 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Yes. I saw it when it originally aired and have the DVD, which is copyrighted 2005.
    Ah ok, thanks Johnny. What DVD is it on?

Ah ok, thanks Johnny. What DVD is it on?
    Name:  Old School Soul Party Live!.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  19.8 KB

I just noticed that it was filmed on Dec. 8, 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    that best of cd shows the later line up.their 1st lp has just the 3,one geezer and a couple of sorts!

the forth bloke is an extra from the film "the third man".see if that fits i'm confused.com

Zat you, Del Boy?