[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bob Babbitt RIP

Bob Babbitt RIP

I'm sorry to bring the sad news of the passing of a true musical legend. Ed Wolfrum sent me an email telling me the sad news. God bless you Bob. We had some times together and you will be missed by so many.

Damn.
    Sorry to hear this. Never got the chance to meet Bob, but always dug him. RIP,Babbitt...

This is a tough one for me, Splank. Babbitt and I go back to the time we were playing teen clubs in Detroit at about 14 years of age.

Another one of the great ones has gone home and Bob was great in so many ways. He was also about the truth as I am. I had a lot of respect for him.

I will let others know about this sad news. Mary Wilson is in Detroit preparing for her concert there in a few days. I will get the message to her. The last time I saw Bob was when he and Mary performed together here on Long Island a few summers ago. He was loved by many here on Earth......but God loved him best!

As we must accept even that which we don't understand, when God has spoken we must find it in our hearts to say AMEN!

Rest in peace Bob

Marv
    Last edited by marv2; 07-16-2012 at 04:45 PM.

My sympathies go out to Bob's friends and family at this sad time.

RIP Bob Babbitt

There will never be another Babbitt. I just got the bad news from Sharon Davis. I was privileged to meet him and to get to know him. He was a surprisingly gentle and thoughtul man behind the crazy front and his loss is very personal.

RIP Babbitt - You did it, man.

Rest In Peace Babbitt...

RIP.
    At least he knew that his studio work was very highly regarded well before he went.

Sad news indeed
    rip

Sad news to hear! May Bob RIP, he brought so much joy through his music talents, condolences to Family & Friends at this sad time.

Deepest sympathy to the family and friends; he made his mark.

I just heard about this from Bobby Eli. He will be greatly missed.

Not the way I wanted to start my day ... RIP Bob.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...itt-dies-at-74

He played on a lot of my favorite Groove Merchant Jazz albums......R.I.P!!

Very nice testimony what Bob brought to all of us......
    http://www.retrokimmer.com/

I am very saddened to hear this news. I got a chance to meet Bob during a music & dance event here in Atlanta back in 2010. He was so friendly, charming, and ready to share fantastic stories about his musical experiences with the Funk Brothers and beyond. It was an unforgettable event for me. In addition to being an incredibly talented bassist, he was an all-around great guy, and I count myself fortunate to have met him, if only briefly.

RIP Mr. Babbitt, thank you for all the extraordinary music.

Andrew Smith once told me that when he and Bob were playing sessions out east after Motown, folks called them "Salt and Pepper". Two great folks, now together, again. Play on, Bob, you'll certainly be missed!

I just cried my eyes out.... so sad and undeserved! All the best for his wife and his family! Big hug and kiss from me [[and yes, I did meet him in Amsterdam and he made a big impression to me!)

My friend called me at work and told me today and I didnt know. I found out this morning and when I came home from work I promised myself that I would share in everyones sentiments today. Words cant describe the joy that the Funk Brothers and Babbitt [[all of them) have given us. Babbitt I know you are bassing it up there in heaven. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, the Motown family, everyone here on SDF and to all of the bass players in the world.
    Babbitt you are a gem and in your honor I am going to listen to some of your basslines today. RIP

Rest In Peace Bob Babbitt. Thank you for the music.

R.I.P., Bob! We'll all miss your fine work.

I can't put it any better than what was stated in the previous posts except I was honored to hear him play when The Funk Brothers hit Seattle. R.I.P, Bob
    Last edited by Doug-Morgan; 07-16-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Here is when Mary spots me when we were in Riverhead on Long Island and yells "Detroit is in the house"! That's Bob on her right. Happier days and great memories for me.

What a great life! Bobby Eli mentioned on Facebook he's the only guy to have played in The Funk Brothers and MFSB. That's awesome and living life to the fullest. Just think, he got to do what he wanted -- play great music -- for his livelihood his entire life until the day he died. Sure beats working at a desk all day. Thanks for the music, Babbitt.

Monday, July 16, 2012
    Bob Babbitt, Bassist For Motown's Funk Brothers, Passes Away

Bob Babbitt, whose bass work can be heard on the majority of Motown hits of the late 60's and early 70's, passed away on Monday at a Nashville Hospice after suffering from brain cancer. He was 74.

Over the course of his career, Babbitt played on over 200 top 40 hits and received 25 gold and platinum records including Ball of Confusion and Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me) by the Temptations, Signed, Sealed Delivered by Stevie Wonder and The Tears of a Clown by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.

Babbitt was trained as a classical bassist but strayed into R&B as a teenager, eventually trading in his upright bass for and electric. He moved to Detroit in 1961 and was working in construction when he joined the Royaltones, a group that had a few local hits and also included the young Dennis Coffey. Not only did they do their own recordings, but they joined Del Shannon as his backup group until 1965.

Bob also moonlighted as a studio bassist whose reputation grew to where he was working in most of the studios in the Detroit area, including playing on such hits as Little Town Flirt for Del Shannon, Love Makes the World Go Round by Dion Jackson and Cool Jerk for the Capitals.

In 1967, he finally broke into Motown when he was asked to sit in for Motown's James Jamerson who was having personal problems. From then until 1972, he and Jamerson would be the main bassists for the label although Babbitt said he always felt he was in James' shadow. Still, his bass was heard on some of the label's greatest records.

Babbitt moved to New York in 1973 and started working with a long list of artists including Barry Manilow, Bette Midler, Frank Sinatra, Jim Croce, Gladys Knight & the Pips and the Spinners. Unfortunately, as the 80's began, studio bassists were getting fewer jobs so he began touring with such artists as Herbie Mann eventually settling down in Nashville later in the decade where he would stay until moving back to his hometown of Philadelphia in 1993.

His partial discography below speaks volumes as to the greatness of his playing:

•Little Town Flirt [[Del Shannon)
    •Handy Man [[Del Shannon)
    •Agent 00 Soul [[Edwin Starr)
    •Cool Jerk [[Capitols)
    •Love Makes the World Go Round [[Dion Jackson)
    •Oh How Happy [[Shades of Blue)
    •Somebody's Been Sleeping in My Bed [[100 Proof)
    •Ball of Confusion [[Temptations)
    •Band of Gold [[Freda Payne)
    •Give Me Just a Little More Time [[Chairman of the Board)
    •Indiana Wants Me [[R. Dean Taylor)
    •Losing You [[Rare Earth)
    •Signed, Sealed, Delivered [[Stevie Wonder)
    •Tears of a Clown [[Smokey Robinson & the Miracles)
    •War [[Edwin Starr)
    •Westbound #9 [[Flaming Embers)
    •If I Were Your Woman [[Gladys Knight & the Pips)
    •What's Going On [[Marvin Gaye)
    •Mercy Mercy Me [[Marvin Gaye)
    •Inner City Blues [[Marvin Gaye)
    •Smiling Faces [[Undisputed Truth)
    •Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me) [[Temptations)
    •Scorpio [[Dennis Coffey)
    •I Got a Name [[Jim Croce)
    •Midnight Train to Georgia [[Gladys Knight & the Pips)
    •Touch Me in the Morning [[Diana Ross)
    •Then Came You [[Spinners)
    •Ease on Down the Road [[Stephanie Mills)
    •Games People Play [[Spinners)
    •Kiss and Say Goodbye [[Manhattans)
    •Never Can Say Goodbye [[Gloria Gaynor)
    •I Like Dreamin' [[Kenny Nolan)
    •Just Don't Want to Be Lonely [[Main Ingredient)
    •Rubber Band Man [[Spinners)
    •After the Lovin' [[Engelbert Humperdinck)
    •You and Me [[Alice Cooper)
    •Copacabana [[Barry Manilow)
    •Mama Can't Buy You Love [[Elton John)
    •Speicial Lady [[Ray, Goodman and Brown)

Read more: http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2012...#ixzz20pRT7tZh

Brain cancer is really tough. Bob's in a better place now. Rest in funk, brother.

Oh boy, one of the craziest guys I've ever met with a heart of gold!!! Just loved him!!
    And [[of course) a Pittsburgh Steelers fan!! LOL
    My sincere condolences to his family and friends........

I'm so sadden to hear this news. After watching the "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" documentary I always wanted to meet Bob. He seemed like one of those kind guys who could share a good laugh with over a beer. It's a shame we had to lose him. I'll be listening to "Scorpio" tonight...

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sorry to hear this. He will be missed by a lot of people. But his music lives on.

Greetings...The obituary for Funk Brothers musician Bob Babbitt is forwarded...FYI...Ron Brewington, Motown Alumni Association [[MAA)

OBITUARY: LEGENDARY FUNK BROTHERS BASSIST BOB BABBITT

Bob Babbitt, a bass player who became world-renowned for his studio work at Motown Records and, as an independent musician, with a host of celebrated stars, passed away this morning, July 16, in Nashville, TN of complications from brain cancer at the age 74 according to his manager, David Spero. Babbitt was a Nashville resident for the last 26 years. Babbitt is survived by his wife, Ann Kreinar, and their three children, Carolyn, Joseph and Karen. A memorial is being planned for late August in Nashville. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to The Musicians Hall of Fame in Nashville TN.

Born Robert Kreinar 11/26/37 in Pittsburg, PA, Babbitt started his career freelancing around Detroit in the mid-1960s, playing on several national soul and pop hits; he joined Stevie Wonder's touring band in 1966. A year later he was invited to join Motown’s house band, a.k.a. the Funk Brothers, to help meet demand at the company’s constantly busy recording studios. Babbitt was the only one tough enough to work in the shadow of Motown’s already-legendary bassist James Jamerson and assert his own identity onto some of Motown's biggest hits.

At Motown, Babbitt had a prolific six-year run, particularly with producer Norman Whitfield, for whom he played on such hits as the Temptations’ “Ball Of Confusion [[That’s The World Is Today),” the Undisputed Truth’s “Smiling Faces Sometimes” and Edwin Starr’s "War"; with other producers he is the bassist on Smokey Robinson & the Miracles’ “The Tears Of A Clown,” Stevie Wonder’s "We Can Work It Out," and, at a session he recalled proudly throughout his life, one half of Marvin Gaye’s epic 1971 album What’s Going On, in which Babbit anchored the rhythm section from “Mercy Mercy Me [[The Ecology)” through “Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler).” [[Jamerson played the other half.)

After leaving Motown, Babbitt’s career continued to flourish, recording with such greats as Bette Midler, Jim Croce, Bonnie Raitt and Frank Sinatra. He teamed up with producer Thom Bell and recorded on such Spinners classics as “Then Came You,” “Games People Play” and “The Rubberband Man.” He was also very proud of his work on the Jimi Hendrix album Crash Landing. In his incredible career, Babbitt has earned 25 gold and platinum records and played on more than 200 top 40 hits, from Gladys Knight & the Pips’ Grammy® Hall of Fame hit “Midnight Train To Georgia” and the Manhattans “Kiss And Say Goodbye” to Barry Manilow’s “Ready To Take A Chance Again” and Elton John’s “Mama Can’t Buy You Love.”

In 2002, Babbitt, representing himself and the legacy of James Jamerson, was the featured bass player in the Artisan documentary film Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, based on a book of the same name that told the then-little-known story of the Funk Brothers band. The film won Best Non-Fiction Film at both the 2002 New York Film Critics Circle, and the 2002 National Society of Film Critics. The soundtrack, released through Universal Music Enterprises, earned the Funk Brothers two Grammy® awards in 2003 for Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media and Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance, “What’s Going On,” an award they shared with Chaka Khan. Babbitt and other Funk Brothers attended the Grammy ceremony in New York City.

In 2004, Babbitt, as a member of the Funk Brothers, was presented with a Grammy® Lifetime Achievement Award by The National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences. Babbitt appeared twice with the Funk Brothers on American Idol, in 2009 and in 2011; in between he was also a featured musician on Phil Collins’ 2010 album, Going Back. Bob was presented with his own ‘Star’ on the Nashville Walk of Fame just last week.

# # #

This is from the Edna Wright and the Honey Cone facebook page

I was so sorry to hear of the passing of "Bob Babbitt" a Fantastic musician, He played on All of my Hits, Want ads , Stick up, One Monkey, and I'm sure most of the songs, on my LP, What a Talent, in later years we caught up with him on tour and I did get a chance to Chat with him. What a great guy!! RIP

Sad news indeed. Bob suffered for some time but put up a brave fight. His music made so much difference to our lives - Jobe's list above highlights just how great and important Bob's playing and talents were. I feel privileged to have seen him play live at the 'Standing In The Shadows' Funk Brothers tour when it came to London. Thank you Bob - you won't be forgotten.

RIP Mr. Babbitt.

I'm so sorry to hear about Bob Babbit's death yesterday. The work that he did as a bass player for Motown [[and the many, many other artists he played bass for) will live on forever.

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Gonna miss him. What an inspiration to many. RIP Babbitt.

I'm just heartbroken to hear of Babbitt's passing. We always say we have the music, but I think we all will truly miss the man himself, his humor, his talent and his perspective on this board. Fair Well, Mr. Babbit, thanks for all that you were, thanks for sending me to this forum in the first place and especially, thanks for the memories.

Rest in peace, Mr. Babbitt.

Thanks for all the good music, never forgot the Inner City Blues, Supernatural, Ball Of Confusion, Scorpio, War and so many other basslines you played. May your family, your friends and fans find comfort thinking and listening to you.

I guess Babbitt really did leave a mark. I noticed a news crawler while watching the morning news that said, "Famed bassist, Bob Babbitt, dies at 74. You did good, Bob.

Bob was such a crucial element to the music of our lives all these years. May his legacy shine as brightly as the man himself did. Rest in peace....

Hello Everone. I was sorry to hear of Bob's passing. George Katsakis called me with the news. George and I worked with Babbitt in the Royaltones and with Del Shannon. I worked on sessions with Babbitt from early Northern Soul, to Golden World, Motown, and Hot Wax and Invictus. Bob always played his heart out. The bass solo he played on Scorpio set the bar pretty high for other bass players. The last time I used Bob was a few years ago on the Carl Dixon project. We had Uriel Jones, and Dave Vanderpitt on that session too. I was glad I had the chance to talk to Bob a few months ago about old times. My condolences go out to his family. He was a great bass player and good friend and will be missed.

Dennis Coffey

i'm so sad hearing this.
    to all those on here on sdf who knew and worked with him i'm sorry for your loss of a friend.

rip bob babbitt.one of the funks who made the motown sound,that in a quantum leap changed music,what a man

He was a very nice man and I always thought his voice was that of a happy grandpa. My thoughts and prayers to the Babbitt family.

RIP Bob! Your contributions to Motown and music will not be forgotten!

Bettye and I send our condolences. What a shame.

Hearing of Bob Babbits death deeply saddens me. I t made me think back to when we all met and were just a bunch of singers and musicians still finding our voices and learning our instruments, and believe me Babbit was one of the best even back when we first met in the late 50's.
    It also made me think of how lucky we were to have been in Detroit at that point in time, learning our craft from each other and all the fabulous singers and musicians recording in Detroit, People like Ralph, Pete, Jamie, Babbit, Marcus terry, to many to even try to mention here. There was a healthy competition between us all and a mutual love and respect that exists even today. It was fantastic when some of us had success, like Bob Babbit, Ralph, Pete, Dennis and many others. I always felt that when one of us had some success we all shared that in a way.
    It was great to have worked with, sat in with, and once recorded with, one of Detroits’s best, Mr. Bob Babbit. God Bless Bob.
    Tommy Good

Tommy,
    We were so lucky to be in Detroit at that time. It was pure magic. We were all in competition with each other, but all such close friends. The ultimate musician's support group. I remember one night a few of us were in front of Hitsville for some reason. You, Pete Rivera, me and maybe Marcus. Babbitt shows up and jumps on Pete's back to say hello. Pure Babbitt. I remember Pete saying "Babbitt, why do you always have to leap on me?" I suppose we must have laughed at that, but that was pure Babbitt, expressing his love for a friend. What a time, Tommy......

RIP Babbitt.....Condolences from us to the family.

Met him years ago in MD.....a true gentleman and scholar.

He had quite a resume. Condolences to family & friends