[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which of the Forums is the most read?

I've seen people say they posted things in the Motown Forum so people would read them.

But then you see people say they avoid the Motown Forum like the plague because of the tantrums/histrionics.

And nobody much seems to go to the Clubhouse.

Are there statistics for which Forum is the most read, most posted to, most popular?

i read down the forums in order.i dont normally read any drats threads or mixture of miss ross or the supps.

i tell you what was interesting.....a few months ago the "power temps blackberry tv ad was being read by lurkers the thread had gone to page 4 [[i think) but i counted more than 4 or 5 at any one time reading it it must have been one of the most popular read threads.

it was the blackberry power remix thread so far 9,865 read it.only 18 posted

temptations-great "power" remix in blackberry commercial! is the thread title if you want to seach for it
    Last edited by tamla617; 05-23-2012 at 06:33 AM.

I always use the "New Posts" tab so I see ALL active threads regardless of what forum they are in. Why would I limit the range of threads based on a forum header? Honestly, I don't know why anyone would. But, I also realize that a lot of people here are not very savvy, and don't even take advantage of some of this software's features. I suspect that some members are still used to the old forum software.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-23-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Obviously Motown.
    I say this because people can only engage in well tempored dialogue for a few minutes but they can fume fuss and
    fight all day and all night long. And you guys know what threads that takes place on. Sheesh!...

Always check out the posts on SDF.
    Sometimes check out what's been posted on MF [[put off by the fact that usually there are only posts about the Supremes & their ex lead singer) but usually leave without opening any threads.
    Never check Clubhouse.
    Trawl through the old site quite a bit as the posts on there seem more fact filled [[have lots of knowledgeable folk left the site in the last year or do they just not post anymore?).
    Are there any others ?

I've often thought of getting rid of the Motown section, since it does seem to foment problems.

Rarely go into the Motown forum and I don't read threads with a gazillion posts, [[my ADD won't allow me) as it becomes repetitive in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I've often thought of getting rid of the Motown section, since it does seem to foment problems.
    or perhaps a component of the motown forum.no i aint saying anymore!

Ralph, are there any statistics kept to indicate if the Motown Forum is frequented more often or to show it is avoided?

Where is the old Forum kept?

I use that New Posts feature as well.

When there are a lot of posts on some vague matter of opinion about something that happened 30 years ago [[i.e. Why didn't so and so sing more leads? Why didn't somebody's career succeed?) ~ well, it is hard to keep up and almost pointless to offer an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I always use the "New Posts" tab so I see ALL active threads regardless of what forum they are in. Why would I limit the range of threads based on a forum header? Honestly, I don't know why anyone would. But, I also realize that a lot of people here are not very savvy, and don't even take advantage of some of this software's features. I suspect that some members are still used to the old forum software.
    i've used the new posts tab once or twice.i usually want to scan the forums in top to bottom order.i dont and havent read every thread as it comes on sdf.some i'm not interested in,not a critisism,some get into microscopic detail that either lose me or it just isnt worth me knowing,again not a critisism,a forum should be varied to engage at least some of the forum membership.you're thing is quality sound and recording methods,compression rates etc.,i've seen you complain about the lack of interest in it.but i would absolutley defend you posting about it.i have read your threads on the subject and you've informed me as to what is the best and worst recording methods and a whole load of other things,it wasnt wasted,i just dont know enough to hold water!another reason not to read every thread is i cant hack the drats thread hassle and endless quotes back at people to continue the rows.
    i have been going back into the older threads i've missed or forgotten about,i found thats time well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Ralph, are there any statistics kept to indicate if the Motown Forum is frequented more often or to show it is avoided?

Where is the old Forum kept?

I use that New Posts feature as well.

When there are a lot of posts on some vague matter of opinion about something that happened 30 years ago [[i.e. Why didn't so and so sing more leads? Why didn't somebody's career succeed?) ~ well, it is hard to keep up and almost pointless to offer an opinion.
    It's hard for you to keep up because you are one of the ones t hat start threads like that. You started a thread entitled "Why Didn't Mary Wilson's Career Succeed or Take Off". That was you remember? The Motown Forum is ....well I let Ralph decide what it is.......LOL!

Rob,
    I'll look into the matter and see if there are some numbers to look at. I may be in favor of getting rid of it. Maybe I should let the membership decide. I may start a thread on the subject. Stay tuned.

Rob,
    I'll look into the matter and see if there are some numbers to look at. I may be in favor of getting rid of it. Maybe I should let the membership decide. I may start a thread on the subject. Stay tuned.
    ok. say there is no more motown forum [[unthinkable on a site with detroit in the name imo) the drats horror threads would appear on the soulful detroit forum,i cant see how removing the motown forum would improve anything. just a thought.

That crossed my mind, Tamla. Maybe by keeping the Motown forum, it is one way to isolate potential pinheads.
    Actually, it doesn't seem to be too bad lately. I think I missed a little dust-up when I was going through the computer wars, but all in all, things seem rather cool.

I don't use the new posts because I am not that computer saavy. I always go to the SDF first and skim through the headings to see if anything interests me. Then I go to the MT next and do the same. One of my biggest complaints has always been that things get posted on the SDF when in actuality and reality they belong on the MT. People often times go to the wrong place to put something on. When I see something on the SDF about a Motown artist, I consider looking at it. Some people just don't follow the cue to put their threads in the correct forum. I have already told a poster or two about putting it in the wrong location.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    or perhaps a component of the motown forum.no i aint saying anymore!
    I know exactly what you are hinting at, and that will never end until Ralph does some drastic things around here.

ok. say there is no more motown forum [[unthinkable on a site with detroit in the name imo) the drats horror threads would appear on the soulful detroit forum,i cant see how removing the motown forum would improve anything. just a thought.
    Exactly! Those drats threads will just infect the other areas of the forum. The only way to deal with it is to deal with the problem children that start the threads or attack others in them. I notice Ralph did not ban the ones who stepped out of line while he was rebuilding his computer a few days ago. Maybe he sent them a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I don't use the new posts because I am not that computer saavy. I always go to the SDF first and skim through the headings to see if anything interests me. Then I go to the MT next and do the same. One of my biggest complaints has always been that things get posted on the SDF when in actuality and reality they belong on the MT. People often times go to the wrong place to put something on. When I see something on the SDF about a Motown artist, I consider looking at it. Some people just don't follow the cue to put their threads in the correct forum. I have already told a poster or two about putting it in the wrong location.
    What annoys me is when someone dies/passes, and five people start a thread about it without even checking to see if there is an existing one first. Then, when there are multiple threads about the same thing, Ralph doesn't combine them or close the extra ones.

you're thing is quality sound and recording methods,compression rates etc.,i've seen you complain about the lack of interest in it.but i would absolutley defend you posting about it.i have read your threads on the subject and you've informed me as to what is the best and worst recording methods and a whole load of other things,it wasnt wasted,i just dont know enough to hold water!
    There's nothing I can do about it, but I do wish there were more people on this forum who were interested in audio. Not even the engineers who post here talk about the technical side. It's really frustrating. You'd think that the engineers would be happy to discuss their craft. Ralph could create a technical/audio type of section, but I fear it would be an asteroid on this forum.

Soul,
    I don't combine like threads because I have enough to deal with . I figure, one of the threads will serve as the main conduit and the others will disappear.

As far as the problem while I was away" I can't deal with something that I know little about. Things seemed to have settled and I'm back on the scene to keep an eye on things.

Soul,
    I don't combine like threads because I have enough to deal with . I figure, one of the threads will serve as the main conduit and the others will disappear.
    Fair enough.

As far as the problem while I was away" I can't deal with something that I know little about. Things seemed to have settled and I'm back on the scene to keep an eye on things.
    I know you have your hands full with other things, but the nasty posts are all still there. The time limit for the posters to remove or edit them has passed so they can't go back and cover it up. The very second Lowell announced your absence, the claws came back out.

Exactly! Those drats threads will just infect the other areas of the forum. The only way to deal with it is to deal with the problem children that start the threads or attack others in them. I notice Ralph did not ban the ones who stepped out of line while he was rebuilding his computer a few days ago. Maybe he sent them a warning.
    No, I disagree. I don't think anyone would have the nerve to post 20 different threads about Diana Ross in the Main Forum. She is not even active at the moment , but that doesn't stop things.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-23-2012 at 11:23 PM.

OMG! Marv! You said her name!!! Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! Marv! You said her name!!! Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know. Oh Diane is alright, it's her outrageous die-hard fans that are the problem!

I wonder if the problem children would be more restrained in their comments if they had to disclose their real identity rather than hide behind anonymous member names.

Great. Another thread for people to bash the Supremes. The thing about this whole tired topic is that in many cases, people who claim not to be interested in the group never fail to bring up their names.

Strange that the Word Association thread in the Clubhouse has had over 337,000 hits but only 14,000 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Great. Another thread for people to bash the Supremes. The thing about this whole tired topic is that in many cases, people who claim not to be interested in the group never fail to bring up their names.

Isn't that the truth skooldem. For example, If you don't like the Supremes or Diane or Mary or Lynda, then do yourself and everyone else a favor and don't bother commenting. Skip the thread. It's a such a waste of time and energy.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

From scanning the numbers on the Forum, it looks like not much gets read in the Clubhouse ~ other than threads like the Jukebox and the very popular Word Association.

And from looking at the number of views, it seems to show that the Motown Forum is the more popular forum; much more so than the main forum. Maybe that is why it attracts dissension and crankiness ~ because it is the popular one.

Looking at the Bronson/Billboard book, Top R & B albums ~ from memory, 6 or 7 of the Top 12 or so artists were Motown Artists in their heyday. So you can't deny their popularity. And from memory, I think if you looked at Top 40 albums and charting albums, The Supremes, Diana Ross & the Supremes, and Diana Ross charted more than any other artist. And Ross continues to tour year after year very successfully. So, maybe that is why they attract attention and comment.

You can't have a serious R & B/Soul Music Forum without Motown playing a major role ~ even if it attracts the most detractors, negative comments and controversy.

Has Berry Gordy ever looked in on SD or does he know about it? Would he approve or care about some of the salacious comments made? Or does it not matter? I believe several Supremes have commented on the negativity surrounding their group ~ and they all disapprove of or dislike it. If negative comments aren't made on SD, the internet is full of everything you could ever want to imagine ~ so it all can be found elsewhere, in worse form.

144man

I believe that people would behave a whole lot differently if they had to use their government names. There's something about anonymity which causes some people to behave like idiots or to say some of the most vile things imaginable.

As far a the forum hits are concerned, I've noticed that the negative threads tend to get the most attention & hits & it's been that way for several years. I believe that it's not the popularity of those threads which cause the dissention, but rather the dissention actually creates the popularity.

It's kinda voyueristic & the phonomenon can best be displayed by the explosive popularity in reality shows, with their contrived drama.

Years ago, it was soap operas, then the nighttime soap operas with their scripted drama that reeled in viewers by the millions. Then Rikki Lake, Jenny Jones, Jerry Springer shows came along with their in-your-face confrontations, with Springer ''guests'' actually finding folks coming to blows. And I forgot to give Morton Downey Jr. whose show was one of the founding fathers of hosts dissing & screaming in folks faces & Geraldo with his "journalistic" show which tended to overdramatize damn near everything.

That's the kind of crap that's dulled the senses of many Americans for nearly 3 decades now & for many these days, the internet is little more than the next evolution of this crap. Posing as reality, it's become nothing more than life imitating art as folks whom weren't hugged enough as kids seek to become somebody, even if it's more due to infamy than anything of worth. Look at some of the crap which passes as "talent" or "entertainment" on youtube these days, where anyone with a webcam & a lack of cogent thought can reach an entire globe & be seen & heard.

Just as with car wrecks or 2 dogs stuck together, folks tend to watch because despite what most of us say, the truth is that many folks love to see drama, especially when it's someone other than theirs. It's like watching wrestling & seeing two wrestlers do their schtick while the fans foam at the mouth in a frenzy.

We've been dumbed down by nearly 3 decades of this kind of B.S. & judging from tv & radio ratings & forum hits the world over, many seem to cling to it like stink to... or flies to....Hmmm...let's try that one again...like white on rice.

Which is why the negative, combative threads tend to get more views.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I wonder if the problem children would be more restrained in their comments if they had to disclose their real identity rather than hide behind anonymous member names.
    In my experience, no.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I know. Oh Diane is alright, it's her outrageous die-hard fans that are the problem!
    I like her [[their) music. I don't like the topic of them dominating the forum and the fanatics fighting about it all the time. It got old years ago. And, it has chased all the old-timers away.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    As far a the forum hits are concerned, I've noticed that the negative threads tend to get the most attention & hits & it's been that way for several years. I believe that it's not the popularity of those threads which cause the dissention, but rather the dissention actually creates the popularity.
    That is why the problems would go away if Ralph could close or delete those threads AND deal with the offenders harshly.

It's kinda voyueristic & the phonomenon can best be displayed by the explosive popularity in reality shows, with their contrived drama.
    It's like the car accident on the freeway. You have to look. You can't help yourself. You want a show. I seriously believe that the cyber-brawls are the only reason some people come here. They will get their digs in as long as they think they can slip them past Ralph. What the good forum members have to do is report...snitch on them! No one has to know who reported the poster or the thread. To get rid of the stink, you have to empty the trash. The reason this topic keeps coming up is because the issue hasn't been dealt with.

Years ago, it was soap operas, then the nighttime soap operas with their scripted drama that reeled in viewers by the millions. Then Rikki Lake, Jenny Jones, Jerry Springer shows came along with their in-your-face confrontations, with Springer ''guests'' actually finding folks coming to blows. And I forgot to give Morton Downey Jr. whose show was one of the founding fathers of hosts dissing & screaming in folks faces & Geraldo with his "journalistic" show which tended to overdramatize damn near everything.
    You haven't seen "Hardcore Pawn" yet, I guess.

That's the kind of crap that's dulled the senses of many Americans for nearly 3 decades now & for many these days, the internet is little more than the next evolution of this crap. Posing as reality, it's become nothing more than life imitating art as folks whom weren't hugged enough as kids seek to become somebody, even if it's more due to infamy than anything of worth. Look at some of the crap which passes as "talent" or "entertainment" on youtube these days, where anyone with a webcam & a lack of cogent thought can reach an entire globe & be seen & heard.
    Aw, let's just call it what it is: mental illness!

Just as with car wrecks or 2 dogs stuck together, folks tend to watch because despite what most of us say, the truth is that many folks love to see drama, especially when it's someone other than theirs. It's like watching wrestling & seeing two wrestlers do their schtick while the fans foam at the mouth in a frenzy.
    It shows you how boring most people's lives are. If you have enough going on in your own life, you don't have any interest in seeing someone else's drama. And, depending on the players and the scene, it's always the same old shit with them, too.

We've been dumbed down by nearly 3 decades of this kind of B.S. & judging from tv & radio ratings & forum hits the world over, many seem to cling to it like stink to... or flies to....Hmmm...let's try that one again...like white on rice.

Which is why the negative, combative threads tend to get more views.
    I don't know if you've seen it, but I recommend the movie "Idiocracy".

Look guys, we've been through this before. you see something that isn't right, contact me. I'll look into it. If there is a problem, I'll get rid of it along with the trouble maker. Simple.

Could 2 of these get combined and maybe come down heavy on the trouble makers? I haven't read any of the crazy stuff so I'm not to familiar with it. I try to stay positive.

Look guys, we've been through this before. you see something that isn't right, contact me. I'll look into it. If there is a problem, I'll get rid of it along with the trouble maker. Simple.
    Exactly!

I really have never understood all of this trying to make more work for Ralph who besides having enough already also has
    an offline life to manage. Dang! All of this "Wait til I tell Daddy " stuff is as silly as the cat fights on some of those Motown threads. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I'm a man. I fight my own battles...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Dang! All of this "Wait til I tell Daddy " stuff is as silly as the cat fights on some of those Motown threads.
    No, the way you keep peace is to alert Ralph to the problem areas. What's worse, a community that just watches things happen and does nothing, or a community that helps? You call it tattling. I call it helping.

See, we know now that as soon as these "pinheads", as Ralph calls 'em, knows Ralph isn't around, they fight like little kids when the parents go off to work. The reason you don't want that stuff on the forum is because "name" industry people/artists come here, and they don't want to see that crap. It chases them away. It really does. That is why you rarely find big name people on public forums such as this. As for the engineers, you mostly find them on message boards that pertain to engineering issues. Those places don't attract the average music fan, who are often unruly and insulting. From my experience, professional audio people tend to be respectful, even when there are disagreements. They don't get personal, they keep the issue to audio. here, on the other hand, you get the average fan of _______'s music, and they get nasty when someone dares to disagree. It's a wonder people like Tom Moulton hang with us. Most engineers would have fled by now to gearsluz or something.

Soulster, I'm not talking about the really extreme personal attacks or cases where some nutcase is seriously trying to pick a fight or sabatoge a thread. Yea, report that ish to Ralph but sometimes some
    folks get their panties all in a bunch over the slightest off the cuff remark and start screaming "Ralph! Ralph! You see that? Fix it!" For example if If I said and I will say it now so that maybe you'll get my point: I don't give a goose booty about what the Supremes wore on Ed Sullivan...Too many over 30's with a five year olds sensibilities for my taste....

Splanky anbd Soulster,
    You are both making good and valid points. It is true, I want to know about a problem I am not aware of but,yes, there are times someone might be a little to quick to rewport a "problem". At any rate, the new computer is just great so I'm back on the forum, fully armed.

One of you guys, do me a favor and IM me. I think I may be having some sort of issue with that function.

Soulster, I'm not talking about the really extreme personal attacks or cases where some nutcase is seriously trying to pick a fight or sabatoge a thread. Yea, report that ish to Ralph but sometimes some
    folks get their panties all in a bunch over the slightest off the cuff remark and start screaming "Ralph! Ralph! You see that? Fix it!" For example if If I said and I will say it now so that maybe you'll get my point: I don't give a goose booty about what the Supremes wore on Ed Sullivan...Too many over 30's with a five year olds sensibilities for my taste....
    Sorry, man, but little off-the-cuff remarks, nit-picks, and digs are all the same damn thing. They are insulting and disruptive, and show a lack of respect. Do we need that here? No.

Is this forum the only one with over-30s acting like they are in the single-digits? No. But, does it have to be?

One of you guys, do me a favor and IM me. I think I may be having some sort of issue with that function.
    PM sent. I just had an issue trying to post, but I also noticed that at that same time, my internet connection stopped. I hope my modem isn't bad. A cable outage took out my router and I replaced it the other day with a much more powerful dual-band N.

smark21 Guest
    Soulster, I get the feeling you would like to run this forum so you could kick every one out who won't engage you in technical audiophile discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Soulster, I get the feeling you would like to run this forum so you could kick every one out who won't engage you in technical audiophile discussions.
    I get the feeling you would like to kick me out for not indulging in DRATS gossip.

I know most R&B fans just aren't audiophiles, and it's a shame. Why wouldn't they care about how their music sounds? R&B really benefits from quality audio reproduction.

I am seriously toying around with the idea of starting an R&B forum that is geared toward those who care about sound quality and are interested in the technical background of the creation of the music. I'm dealing with exactly how to present it as to attract more than just the usual music fans like this forum. I also want it to have a wider scope than just Detroit/Motown. I want the industry pros to feel welcome and comfortable talking about their craft. I don't want celebrity gossip like you have here. And, the icing will be that, because there won't be the casual fan arguing about stupid diva shit, there will be little or no fighting.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-28-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Ralph, soulster said "diva shit!" LOL!

I am just kidding and thought that was so funny.

Penny

I noticed, Penny. And the debate runs on...............

soulster said:

I am seriously toying around with the idea of starting an R&B forum that is geared toward those who care about sound quality and are interested in the technical background of the creation of the music. I'm dealing with exactly how to present it as to attract more than just the usual music fans like this forum. I also want it to have a wider scope than just Detroit/Motown. I want the industry pros to feel welcome and comfortable talking about their craft. I don't want celebrity gossip like you have here. And, the icing will be that, because there won't be the casual fan arguing about stupid diva shit, there will be little or no fighting.

Best of luck with that, cous, but what you seem to forget or not realise is that the majority of R&B fans who were
    following their favorites music in the time is was released as opposed to retroactive collecting, often did not have
    the disposable income that serious audiophilism required or the time to do all of the checking and testing involved
    just so they could stomp their feet or shake their asses to Jr Walker in perfect resolution.
    Also if you think there won't be any fighting I suppose you're in for a surprise unless you can find about 10 clones
    of your ideas and taste that won't disagree. Oh and we already talk about more than just Detroit/Motown on SDF
    but I will say you're right about the "diva shit". It is so tiring...

By "diva shit", I meant the petty arguing and fighting that doesn't address music in some way.

"Well, she came late to a funeral in a limo!"

"She wore the same sequined dress as the one who got kicked out!".

"No she didn't!"

"Yes she did!'

"Take that!"

"Ouch!"

"Take this!"

"I'm gonna scratch your eyes out!"

"Oh, I wish you would!"

"Just try to get me through the computer monitor!"

"Nyaaaaa!"

Best of luck with that, cous, but what you seem to forget or not realise is that the majority of R&B fans who were
    following their favorites music in the time is was released as opposed to retroactive collecting, often did not have
    the disposable income that serious audiophilism required or the time to do all of the checking and testing involved
    just so they could stomp their feet or shake their asses to Jr Walker in perfect resolution.
    Also if you think there won't be any fighting I suppose you're in for a surprise unless you can find about 10 clones
    of your ideas and taste that won't disagree. Oh and we already talk about more than just Detroit/Motown on SDF
    but I will say you're right about the "diva shit". It is so tiring...
    Oh, I never forget that. I've had at least one active industry person let me know that most soul fans just don't have the money. Back in the 70s when I was collecting, I didn't either. But, it's a different day, and many of those people do have the disposable income to retroactively collect that music. And, many of them now have the means to get good audio equipment to play it all on. It's important enough to me to save for what I want. Right now, i'm looking at upgrading my phono cartridge and speakers. The cart will set me back $400, and the speakers? Who knows. But, it will increase my enjoyment of all that music that I already own. Trust me, Jr. Walker sounds better on a better system. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get a good system. You can put together something decent for just a few hundred, and chances are, you already have half of what you need now.

On another note, it' so hard to get quality reissues of 70s and 80s music on CD. It's compressed or EQ'ed bad. If the fans of the music don't care, how are the companies going to care?

I have had lots of experience with message boards, even help moderate one, and I can safely tell you that the ones that deal more with audio do not have the crap we see here. The arguing is usually on the ones that attract the usual music fans. This, I haven't figured out exactly why, but it is what it is.

I would just like to help expand the range of musical discussion, but every time I have attempted it, my efforts are ignored or criticized, and the active majority would rather gossip. It would help if the vets would come back in and help counteract it too. they do no good to stay away. The pinheads aren't going away.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-28-2012 at 01:33 PM.

I noticed, Penny. And the debate runs on...............
    Ralph, debate is good and many times productive as long as there are no personal attacks.

The arguing is usually on the ones that attract the usual music fans. This, I haven't figured out exactly why, but it is what it is.

So you say, soulster but I've seen more than a few major blow outs on other genre of music forums, particularly jazz
    and world music forums. I once saw a prominent NY black journalist and critic berate virtually everyone in a forum thread
    before he left it and I don't he ever returned again though he has a regular column in the Daily News...what a meltdown
    that was...