[REMOVE ADS]

Dr Beans Bowles "Fingertips" The Untold Story

Vacation time for me means I can catch up on some reading.

The information in this book is absolutely fascinating. There are parts which are not related to Motown but the parts which are, I have to say, are superb. I learnt a lot. There are some extremely rare pictures too.

It's really hard to find the book though. Here are some links from the book

smoothjazzspace.ning.com/dennisbowles
    myspace.com/shonuff12006
    blackplanet.com/dennisshonuffbowles
    motownaluminiassociation.ning.com/dennisbowles
    dennisbowles@facebook.com

Also, I found this link

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dennis...51997558161007

I wholeheartedly agree with John's recommendation of this book. I have had a copy since July 2010 autographed by Dennis Bowles. The book was published by Sho-nuff Productions, 21387 Ithaca, Ferndale, MI 48220, telephone number 313-205-8321. It is a soft cover 237 page long book and as John said many never before seen photographs. It is a must read for all Motown enthusiasts. Well worth the cost and effort to read it.

http://www.beansbowlesfingertips.com/

I hope that link works.

Thanks, it did work! I just ordered a copy.

I'm getting a copy. Dr. Bowles was a great person and his story has to be worthwhile!

Hi Everyone
    just to add to what boyfromxtown has said the link http://www.beansbowlesfingertips.com/

is the best way to order the book. I spoke to Dennis before ordering on 313 205-8321 [[ and the appropriate code if calling from outside the US as I was), you can also email him at Dbowles213@aol.com which I did to get our copies signed. He says he has had a lot of trouble trying to promote the book especially outside the US as he has been let down by some people. I sent a message to the moderator in April to see if he could push it on this site but to date have had no reply.

Surprisingly, this was the only book they had for sale at the Motown Museum. I just picked up my copy when I visited there last Friday. Haven't had a chance to read it yet but am looking forward to sitting down with it.

I was there Saturday May 12, the day the museum re-openend, and had the same experience as thommg: the was the only book they had in the museum store. I read it the next day on my flight back to Amsterdam. It is badly written and contains a lot of typos. But the story is compelling the and pictures make it more than worthwhile for me. Especially the ones taken at the first Motortown Revue with the car accident of Beans and Eddie McFarlane.

The Motown Museum shop was a bit dissapointing, but the shop at Detroit airport was a lot better.

By the way: our tourguide in the museum was Phil, a young guy with a fantastic knowledge of Motown. For each question that our group could think of, he had the answer. And with my Motown-knowledge, the ones that I also knew, he all answered correctly.

I finally had the chance to see the rear of Hitsville; I was looking for the exit that the Funk Brothers took to sneak out for a drink and card game at the neighbours [[Cole).

Name:  rear of Hitsville.JPG
Views: 1526
Size:  40.6 KB

The late Dr. Beans Bowles:

Wrote Stevie Wonders first hit record "Fingertips"
    Beans Bowles was the Temptations first manager
    Musical director for: Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Four Tops,
    The Historic Graystone Jazz Orchestra and The Dashiki's Big Band
    One of the first executives Berry Gordy hired to Motown
    Designed The Motown Revue

What really happened at Hitsville in the early years?
    How was "Fingertips" stolen from Beans?
    What caused Diana Ross & Supremes break-up?
    How did Berry Gordy acquire Diana Ross?
    How did Berry keep the Funk Brothers as his studio Musicians?

Sounds a bit over-the-top to me. Was "Beans" even around in 1970 when the Supremes "broke-up"?

And LMFAO....how DID Berry "ACQUIRE" Diana Ross?

With turmoil in the publishing industry, large booksellers going bankrupt and the general public not often being aware of what books are available due to advertising budgets being slashed, very few new writers are finding their manuscripts being printed. Self publishing and selling a book on one's own website has become a necessity for anyone being sure of getting their story "out there."

I've taken a chance on many self authored / self published books on music in general, and Motown in particular, and this Dr. Beans Bowles seems promising enough for me to have ordered a copy for myself.

Often, these authors don't have the luxury of having input from "professional" proof readers and editors, and the graphic reproduction is often less than stellar. But the value in these books lies in the stories that are presented and preserved. That fact alone absolves a multitude of grammatical "sins." I look forward to receiving my copy and passing on my comments down the road.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 05-23-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Totally agree Mark.

There was another book, self published again I believe, by that guy named Curtis I think it was.

And it suffered from what Mark mentions but it also was very down to earth, grass roots, hands on ~ he had some pictures of Diana Ross in front of the White House in 1961 or 1962, before anyone knew who she was; never seen before.

I would like to get this Beans Bowles book as well. Thanks John for referring it to us.

The book market is much like the CD market these days ~ it's all a "do it yourself" affair.

Jobeterob;
    I think the book you are referring to is "Memories Of The 1962 Motown Revue: A Photographic Journal...of the Greatest Road Show in the History of Rock 'n Roll," by Curtis E. Woodson. It's out of print, but I was very lucky to find a used copy on Amazon.com. When a copy comes up for sale it now is crazy expensive. Hopefully an expanded second edition is being considered because interest in Motown and the 1962 Review tour is at an all time high.

Motown_Marc'

Thanks for posting the picture of the back alley behind the Motown Hitsville Studio. I could be wrong, but I believe a photo of Martha Reeves and Mrs. Powell running down that very alley appeared in Vanity Fair when they did a story on Motown some years ago. Even if it wasn't the exact same alley, it was a fantastic Annie Leibovitz photo and I got a great chuckle out of that pair. What fun they must have had together!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    The late Dr. Beans Bowles:

Wrote Stevie Wonders first hit record "Fingertips"
    Beans Bowles was the Temptations first manager
    Musical director for: Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Four Tops,
    The Historic Graystone Jazz Orchestra and The Dashiki's Big Band
    One of the first executives Berry Gordy hired to Motown
    Designed The Motown Revue

What really happened at Hitsville in the early years?
    How was "Fingertips" stolen from Beans?
    What caused Diana Ross & Supremes break-up?
    How did Berry Gordy acquire Diana Ross?
    How did Berry keep the Funk Brothers as his studio Musicians?

Sounds a bit over-the-top to me. Was "Beans" even around in 1970 when the Supremes "broke-up"?

And LMFAO....how DID Berry "ACQUIRE" Diana Ross?
    Yes professor Bowles was around in 1970. Mrs. Esther Gordy Edwards introduced me to him in 1994. Mary and Martha were there that day and obviously loved and respected this elder gentleman. You can laugh if you want, but I know for a fact that the information contained in this book is REAL and extremely ACCURATE! It comes directly from people that were there. They may not have worn sequins, but they were just as important to the Motown Story overall!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Totally agree Mark.

There was another book, self published again I believe, by that guy named Curtis I think it was.

And it suffered from what Mark mentions but it also was very down to earth, grass roots, hands on ~ he had some pictures of Diana Ross in front of the White House in 1961 or 1962, before anyone knew who she was; never seen before.

I would like to get this Beans Bowles book as well. Thanks John for referring it to us.

The book market is much like the CD market these days ~ it's all a "do it yourself" affair.
    I have the book by Curtis Woodson. On the final page he states " I saved the best for last, 18 year old Mary Wilson" and there is this great picture of Mary after a show........

The photos in the book are mostly from the 1962-63 Motortown Revue. This year is the 50th Anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    Jobeterob;
    I think the book you are referring to is "Memories Of The 1962 Motown Revue: A Photographic Journal...of the Greatest Road Show in the History of Rock 'n Roll," by Curtis E. Woodson. It's out of print, but I was very lucky to find a used copy on Amazon.com. When a copy comes up for sale it now is crazy expensive. Hopefully an expanded second edition is being considered because interest in Motown and the 1962 Review tour is at an all time high.
    I got this book a few years back and the photos are incredible. It suffers from the same thing many self-published books suffer from: lack of editing and proofreading. There are many misspellings and errors in the book, but the photos make up all of it. It is a record of a very specific time in Motown history and the documentation of it is wonderful.

Martha & Maxime running down the alley

Name:  maxime.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  55.0 KB

I think you're right Mark, looks like the same spot to me!
    Last edited by motown_marc; 05-24-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Great photo! I went to the museum many years ago with Martha. At that time they had an original Motortown Revue
    program for sale from the early 60s and then a later one from the late 60s. The souveniers were great at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Great photo! I went to the museum many years ago with Martha. At that time they had an original Motortown Revue
    program for sale from the early 60s and then a later one from the late 60s. The souveniers were great at that time.
    They must have had a good back stock of those programs. When I went to Detroit for a Motown convention in 1990, they were selling them,and at a good price.
    Last edited by reese; 05-24-2012 at 10:47 AM.

I am enjoying the book! The author is not a professional writer and being the son of the subject, that gives it a very
    unique flair.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They must have had a good back stock of those programs. When I went to Detroit for a Motown convention in 1990, they were selling them,and at a good price.
    Reese

I have pictures of that 1990 convention. I ought to check them out and scan them. I also have a copy of the footage taken by Norwin's.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    I am enjoying the book! The author is not a professional writer and being the son of the subject, that gives it a very
    unique flair.
    Glad you enjoyed it.

reese, in the 60's I never could afford to buy the programs at the concerts. In about '69 I could afford the programs at the James Brown Shows and had many all autographed ...when I left for Calif. in '74 my big box of momentoes disappeared and I've never gotten over it.

Yes Beans was around, but the breakup started in New Orleans and I was the band boy for my father in the sixties. Diane and Florence were arguing before the show. Diane call Berry and he said send Florence home. Diane and Mary did the show with just two that night. That was Florence's last show. I was there!!!!!!!
    ShonufffffDB

Hi Dennis! Thanks for posting and I did very much enjoy your book, Fingertips. Also, thanks for autographing it too.
    Best to you always!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bowles View Post
    Yes Beans was around, but the breakup started in New Orleans and I was the band boy for my father in the sixties. Diane and Florence were arguing before the show. Diane call Berry and he said send Florence home. Diane and Mary did the show with just two that night. That was Florence's last show. I was there!!!!!!!
    ShonufffffDB
    Dennis, you were eyewitness to history.......to what has now become legend! Amazing! The book has to be red hot!!!

In light of Al Abrams passing and the extreme rName:  hs_cover.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  20.5 KBName:  IMG_1229.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  92.2 KBariety of his book, I'm posting the covers of his book and the book by Curtis E. Woodson.

Hey Mark thank you. FYI, Al has another book, a follow up to "Hype & Soul" to be released soon and you'll and everyone will be blown away by the photos in it!

marv2, I appreciate your update. Earlier today on Facebook I saw the following photo posted and immediately "ass-umed" that it was an earlier cover/title proposal before an unexpected cache of Motown press releases were discovered and the scope of Al Abrams book was expanded. If this is indeed the follow up to Hype&Soul, I anxiously await its release. We are all the richer for Al sharing his adventures with us. As sad as is passing is, we can all learn a lesson from him, "dream big and share your knowledge." May Al's spirit rest in peace knowing he left his mark on the world.Name:  12132481_1317683531590508_4217632889521431791_o-1.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  87.6 KB
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 10-04-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Marc, no the above book is not the follow up I am speaking of. The follow up will be more than press clips,etc. Imagine this, Al Abrams was the first person Berry Gordy hired at Motown. He was a very integral part of Motown's foundation. By the way, his photo exhibit opens Tuesday in Saginaw, Michigan. Martha Reeves will do the ribbon cutting at the museum there.

Thanks for all this new information, mav2. Please keep me posted when Al's new book gets published. What a story the history of Motown Records from Al's point of view will be. Too bad he will not be able to bask in the glory of seeing it in print.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Thanks for all this new information, mav2. Please keep me posted when Al's new book gets published. What a story the history of Motown Records from Al's point of view will be. Too bad he will not be able to bask in the glory of seeing it in print.

I most definitely will. I promised Al. Mr. Gordy is going to like this too!