[REMOVE ADS]

Videos Blocked On YouTube

Does anyone know how this works? How do they know that uploaded videos contain content owned or licensed by UMG? Also how do they determine which countries they are blocked in? Here are some examples:-

I uploaded "Fading Away" by Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - it's blocked in every country except Saint Martin and South Sudan.

I uploaded "Baby I'm For Real [[The Bells)" by Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - it's blocked in Germany and Japan only.

I Uploaded "All For You" by Earl Van Dyke & The Soul Brothers - it's only blocked in Germany.

I uploaded "Whopper Bopper Show Stopper" by Jr Walker and it's not blocked anywhere. It's not even acknowledged as being owned by UMG!

There doesn't seem to be any consistency at all! Who makes the decision or is it just random?

hi adrian,long time
    how do you know where they are blocked?i couldnt see where it "said" it

I think it was called websheriff, some thing that tracks audio or content that is copyrighted.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    hi adrian,long time
    how do you know where they are blocked?i couldnt see where it "said" it
    Hello mate,
    I get an email from YouTube every time a video with a copyright claim has been uploaded. I then go into video manager on my YouTube channel and there is a link that tells me that the video has been blocked in some countries. When I click on the link it tells me what copyrighted content is included and what countries it's blocked in.

thanks,i've never up or downloaded to/from youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    thanks,i've never up or downloaded to/from youtube.
    Russ, I've PM'd you.

Cheers,

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by adrian View Post
    Does anyone know how this works? How do they know that uploaded videos contain content owned or licensed by UMG? Also how do they determine which countries they are blocked in? Here are some examples:-

I uploaded "Fading Away" by Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - it's blocked in every country except Saint Martin and South Sudan.

I uploaded "Baby I'm For Real [[The Bells)" by Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - it's blocked in Germany and Japan only.

I Uploaded "All For You" by Earl Van Dyke & The Soul Brothers - it's only blocked in Germany.

I uploaded "Whopper Bopper Show Stopper" by Jr Walker and it's not blocked anywhere. It's not even acknowledged as being owned by UMG!

There doesn't seem to be any consistency at all! Who makes the decision or is it just random?

I think I read recently that, for the U.S., YouTube is now responsible for having unauthorized copyrighted material on their website, and can and will remove offending content is claimed by the copyright owner. UMG is quite aggressive about this. The record labels actually have people who scour YouTube and other websites for copyright violations. YouTube can also delete repeat offenders.

You upload music videos at your own risk.

I know that I am prevented from watching television programs from other countries such as Canada and the U.K. via the internet, but news programs are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian View Post

I've had a similar problem. I think it depends on who reviews it as it's uploading. Some of the people who approve/reject the uploads work from home and as you can see, some are more diligent than others. It's a lottery...

I agree with ivyfield. Some folks just decide to block it if they feel it's unnecessary to post, others are alright with it for a while... some just leave it alone.