[REMOVE ADS]

Curious: Are the Elgins still performing?

Just been going through some of my last VHS tapes and have them in concert in London. Are they still around? Can anybody tell me? Thanks, Steve.
    Name:  The Elgins.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  11.6 KB

there were another set of "Elgins" whom were performing a few years ago, but they have nothing to do with The Elgins of Motown fame.

To my knowledge, the TRUE Elgins no longer perform.

I don't think so either.
    Last edited by candykamaine; 05-15-2012 at 03:38 PM.

The last time I saw them perform in Detroit was in 1990.

When the Elgins' "Anthology" was issued in 2007, they came over to the UK and played at least one date, at Northampton as I recall. I think the only "original" Elgin present was Yvonne Allen, and purists might argue she wasn't an original as she didn't join until the early seventies. But they performed the Elgins' Motown catalogue - plus "Devil In His Heart", of course, since Yvonne was there!

ivyfield

There's a group out in L.A. named "The Original Elgins" & another one out in Philly, so I hope that no one will confuse either with Motown's Elgins.

If memory serves me correctly Marc Taylor did a story on The Elgins in "A Touch Of Classic Soul", so I believe that Marc or Keith would have the most reliable info as regards what The Elgins are up to these days.

I'm in contact with Yvonne, and the good news is that she and the Elgins are coming over to the UK from Mid September to Mid October. They are presently arranging gigs, and I've asked her to try for the Jazz Cafe in Camden Town.
    Last edited by Stone Diamond; 05-15-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Stone Diamond

That's good news. I'm glad to hear that they're preparing to get back out there.

I reformed The Elgin's in 2007 to appear in the uk to perform at the Northampton weekender and Jct 2 west midlands alldayer . the line up was Yvonne Vernee allen ..jimmy charles and percy williams [[ also ex metro's ) . at present i'm working on dates and venues to bring The Elgin's back to the uk for Sept / Oct 2012 . The only original left is Johhny Dawson But due to health won't be performing so he as handed over the legacy Rights to Yvonne to continue . Yvonne joined the group in 1969 so really as the rights to use the name plus recorded her great vocals on few session at motown including to me one of the best unissed motown tracks from the vaults " my love for your love " which we included in the live shows ... funny but intresting when i was with Yvonne in Detroit in 2007 putting the show together i gave her the tracks at first she did'nt know my love for your love insisiting it wasn't her vocals until we went to the car where i played it on cd for her ..she totally forgotten all about the track amazed but pleased . They also recorded loads of tracks with Ian Levine .. another great track on the soul scene .." Don't wait around " As for the Fake Elgin's I believe and seen them advertised as The Motown Elgin's ... I have been in touch with there management and they still argue they are the motown recording artist's , I Have informed Yvonne and Johnny Dawson about them .. they really should get a court order to stop them using the name legacy . More info soon on the uk dates , On the phone the other night to Yvonne she can't wait to come back to the uk .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iumi...feature=fvwrel

I do have the live performance of this track which i will upload .

another Yvonne vocals recorded at Motown but sadley unissed - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIn3BjybCeE

Great - I have their full set at the Dominion 'Legends of Motorcity' so I'll post it to YT and post the link here. Stoned Love, Steve.

A UK show is being advertised for the Elgins in September .....
    .... no idea who the members of the group will be but no doubt someone will post the current group line-up here in the near future.