[REMOVE ADS]

now we're on a comparison gig,which temptations era was the best?

in the same vein,which is you favourite temps era,i cant pick from the 1st 3 time zones,after 76 the odd lp is worth buying.

the early lps to 68
    norman whitfield pt1.........wish it would rain,cloud nine,puzzle people,psych shack etc.68-71
    norman whitfield pt2.........skys the limit,all directions, masterpeice,1990 etc. 71-76 ish
    post whitfield..................80-early 90's power,treat her like a lady etc except for atlantic years below
    the atlantic label stuff......76 bareback [[anything else?)

these comparisons are getting harder work out!

Everything up to 1975. I like the song "Power" after that.

Too hard to narrow for me.... I would have to say everything up until they left Motown for Atlantic..... some essential listening still popped up after that [["Power" "Treat Her Like A Lady" "Stay" etc.) though....

The 60's output was the greatest!

After the 60's, I loved "Papa Was a Rollingstone" and "Just My Imagination".

RossHolloway Guest
    Without a doubt the original lineup does it for me. As much as I love Dennis Edwards, to me David Ruffin leaving the group is still just as hurtful and sad as when Florence Ballard was dismissed from the Supreme's. While I cannot fairly debate the merits of both their dismissals because I was not there, for me the music changed. I know David originally replace Eldridge Bryant in the group, but to me David made the Temptations. Sure they were all "equal members" in the group, but it was really David's voice that set the Temptation's apart. Eddie K gave the soft romantic side, while Paul gave the sorrowful and deep soulful side, but it was David who had the strong passion in his voice. He makes me believe every word that he sings and you don't find those kind of singers everyday. To me its still hurtful and sad how both those singers were forced out of their respective groups when both groups were at their zenith. And to this day, I still don't think we've been told everything about what happened. I know its overly simplistic to think how could 5 guys and those 3 ladies make such beautiful music together and yet be so unhappy with one another, and to also know essentially how it all ends for most of them. I think the music that they made with Smokey is their all time best.

The famous 5 years are best but really I like everything up to 1975 and 'A Song For You'. The later track 'Power' was OK too but that was a one off.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    The famous 5 years are best but really I like everything up to 1975 and 'A Song For You'. The later track 'Power' was OK too but that was a one off.
    yeah,thats what i think too

For me there's no contest: 1964-1967.
    But then I would say the same about nearly all the other acts who were on the roster during those years
    After 1967 the energy was different, and, to me, much of the feeling of the earlier recordings was gone. It didn't sound the same, look the same or feel the same. I do understand that musical trends constantly evolve and I also suppose the energy generated by that first flush of really big success for the label and its founding acts could not have lasted forever. Anyway, that's my favorite period for the Tempts, and for the label as a whole.

Early years til 1972..........til The Skys the Limit.

After that, even with Norman Whitfield, it became a little bit predictable.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  21.1 KB
    I like their work as The Distants [[1960), their Miracle and early Gordy cuts [[1961-63), also their 1964-66 [[Classic years), and also their 1967-68 cuts [[other than their psychadelic cuts [[like "Runaway Child, Running Wild", "Poppa Was a Rolling Stone", etc. I like their 1964-65 and 1960 Distants' cuts best, then 1961-63, then 1966-67.

Now with the the tempts, I prefur them up until 1992. I did like phenix rising and earresiable but thier later 2001- now material just seems synthesized to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    yeah,thats what i think too
    The rest of the album wasn't like the song "power"?

Give me the Tempts. up to 1968.The Funks had the the best groove and the group had their most soulful line up.Then they were setting the pace with the advent of "Cloud Nine" Norman and the Tempts. became followers and later on the orchestrations got in the way of the vocals.Their outfits were even worse.Whilst I do play the "Cloud Nine album I much prefer side 2.After 1972 I couldn`t care less about Motown.

As a proud owner of their EMPERORS OF SOUL set, that one’s most difficult, they have had SOOOOOO many transitions!

I feel to go “favorites” according to lead singer:

Paul Williams: Oh Mother of Mine, I Want A Love I Can See, Farewell My Love, For Once In My Life
    Eddie Kendricks: Girl [[Why Do You Make Me Blue), Get Ready, I’m Gonna Make You Love Me, Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me)
    Melvin Franklin: Paradise, Ol’ Man River
    David Ruffin: My Girl, Since I Lost My Baby, My Baby, Ain’t Too Proud To Beg, [[I Know) I’m Losing You, All I Need, I’ll Never Love Another [[After Loving You)
    Dennis Edwards: Runaway Child [[Running Wild), Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone, Let Your Hair Down, Happy People
    Richard Street: Hey Girl [[I Like Your Style)
    Ali-Ollie Woodson: Treat Her Like A Lady, Do You Love Your Baby, Magic, Hoops of Fire
    Theo Peoples: Stay, This Is My Promise
    Last edited by Ngroove; 05-12-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Views: 322
    My lead favourites:
    Richard Street: "Come On"
    Eddie Kendricks: "A Tear From A Woman's Eye"/"You're My Everything"
    Paul Williams: "Just Let Me Know"
    David Ruffin: "My Girl"/"Since I Lost My Baby"
    Dennis Edwards: I can't think of one I like, but I love his lead with The Contours: "It's So Hard Being A Loser"

^^ I love Richard's Monitors stuff, I became a fangirl of Rich over it. I wish there were solo materal from him.

Quote Originally Posted by candykamaine View Post
    ^^ I love Richard's Monitors stuff, I became a fangirl of Rich over it. I wish there were solo materal from him.
Views: 291
    He has one of my favourite male voices, along with Nat King Cole, Sollie McElroy, Ray Pollard, and Rudy West.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    i havent played the lp for ages.i'll check tomorrow and let you know,but i cant remember any notable tracks off hand

I prefer the group from 1965-1968/1969. Although I enjoy their material well into the 70's, Norman Whitfield overdid it with the psychedelic soul material and it gets old. Give me the Smokey Robinson productions from 1964-1965. In fact, I think I'll listen to their version of "Everybody Needs Love" right now.

The David Ruffin era was the best as far as I'm concerned. That being said, Dennis Edwards was certainly capable of greatness when he was given something other than psychedelic soul to sing. Two of his leads in this vein that come to mind are "Why Did She Have To Leave Me [[Why Did She Have To Go)" and the exquisite "Since I've Lost You."

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    soulster
    i just checked the other tracks on power lp.its like they had the power track then filled it in with other stuff really.see it in a cheap bin, buy it, the rest is passable but forgetable

http://www.discogs.com/Temptations-Power/master/36404

Up to Papa was a rolling stone, a few tracks after that Standing on the Top, Treat her like a lady, but the best years were 64 - 69 for me.

smark21 Guest
    The Whitfield era is my favorite as they were singing songs that tackled a number of topics and issues and not just doing love songs. And I enjoy the trading off of lead vocals on a number of the songs.

Unfortunately, despite their 70s brilliance, there was a period there during the Disco years where from about 1976 to 1979, there was indeed some slippage.

The Temptations from 1964 through 1969 were simply invincible & never, ever missed a beat.

Despite the increased sales & success of the early-to-mid 70s, the 60s would be my choice & truthfully, it's not as close as one would believe it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    soulster
    i just checked the other tracks on power lp.its like they had the power track then filled it in with other stuff really.see it in a cheap bin, buy it, the rest is passable but forgetable
    In other words, "Power" was the ringer, surrounded by filler. Thanks! I'll pass on that album, then.

Soulster

Tamla617 has steered you correctly. I believe that "Power" is the weakest of their 90's LPs, most of which are actually damn good as a whole.

Ha! Great minds think alike -'m going to post a 'fantasy' Temptations - here in the UK people are mad about fantasy football teams. I'm also going to do one for the Supremes so light the blue touch paper and STAND WELL BACK!!!

supremes?you sure?

i thought about it and didnt take it any further than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    The David Ruffin era was the best as far as I'm concerned. That being said, Dennis Edwards was certainly capable of greatness when he was given something other than psychedelic soul to sing. Two of his leads in this vein that come to mind are "Why Did She Have To Leave Me [[Why Did She Have To Go)" and the exquisite "Since I've Lost You."
    I agree that the Mr. Ruffin era was the best, the Mr. Edwards era could have surpassed, but as you pointed out, with mentioning those two songs, we did not often get a chance to hear Dennis as much as we would have liked. The ensemble concept had to be better for morale however.

For me the years[1963-1968]which of course was the classic temps era,the seventies was cool even with[hear to temp you]and the eighties[not alot of big hits but some great songs]and on the subject of[hear to temp you-1977-atlantic lable]no disrespect to louis price who is a great singer,but how much different this album would've been with dennis on lead...temptations forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    soulster

tamla617 has steered you correctly. I believe that "power" is the weakest of their 90's lps, most of which are actually damn good as a whole.
    hey juice you been in the hooch[hehe]power came out in[1980]!