[REMOVE ADS]

International Jazz Day

For any jazz fans on the forum...I've been tracking this all this past weekend and I am always thankful
    for Herbie Hancock. He and Wayne Shorter are among the few of the real champions left...

http://www.examiner.com/article/herb...orleans-and-ny

thanks Splank, man I'm watching the video and streaming now........... wow !

It has been stated that JAZZ is a unique North American musical innovation. From the jook joints to smokey Harlem night clubs to the great concert halls, The Duke, Lady Day, Miles, and Coltrane made the world take notice and their influence still resonates today.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 05-03-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Actually R Mark, jazz was born in New Orleans, the south...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Actually R Mark, jazz was born in New Orleans, the south...
    ....and it's spiritual home now is ........MONTREAL! A very northern, happening place! LOL!

Montreal has a great jazz festival every year. I've never been to it but I listen to it's broadcast via my radio station WBGO. I heard this morning that LA has lost it's last jazz station. That's sad but wbgo which is actually stationed in Newark, NJ is broadcast online and people from around the world can get it. I can't imagine doing without it. Herbie
    BTW, is supposed to be working on his autobiography with 2014 projected as a due date. I'm really looking forward to
    reading that...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Montreal has a great jazz festival every year. I've never been to it but I listen to it's broadcast via my radio station WBGO. I heard this morning that LA has lost it's last jazz station. That's sad but wbgo which is actually stationed in Newark, NJ is broadcast online and people from around the world can get it. I can't imagine doing without it. Herbie
    BTW, is supposed to be working on his autobiography with 2014 projected as a due date. I'm really looking forward to
    reading that...
    Splanky! I have been attending the Montreal Jazz Festival for 16 years now. Do yourself a great favor and plan a visit. It is magnifique!!! They have the big names, the lesser known artists, World artists and they treat the music with great respect there. It is a jam packed 2 weeks of music and culture. I've missed many a 4th of July celebrations here at home because I was up there LOL! They do have their fireworks though.

Montreal was one of the very few major cities that have several great jazz stations and they are some of the most popular stations in town.

Here is a sample picture of the Montreal Jazz Festival at night. This is just one of the streets [[St. Cats.) that the performances are held on .

Here's a shot in front of the General Motors sponsored stage:

Marv2
    Were you able to catch Yma Sumac perform her set at the Montreal Jazz Festival? I understand it was her last public concert performance.