[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motown on DWTS?

Motown on DWTS?

Last night Gladys Knight mentioned that next week on Dancing With the Stars it is Motown Reunion week. Sounds promising....I wonder who would be there...

Martha Reeves, Smokey Robinson, and the Temptations.

Any Vandellas?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Any Vandellas?
    They weren't mentioned, as I recall. But who knows?

What about Shantel Baker?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    What about Shantel Baker?
    Please don't go there, Carlo! Can't stand it!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Martha Reeves, Smokey Robinson, and the Temptations.
    This is so exciting. I can hardly wait.

Thank you,

Roberta

lol Shantel. The Vandellas seem to be history as far as singing with Martha. Karen R?

When? This week?

April 23,2012

Oh the Rag is teaming up with Shantel to make an act called 'The Sounds of Diana Ross & The Supremes' featuring former Supremes Shantel Baker and Kaaren Ragland. Can't wait to see them on tour with 'A tribute to Mrs Miller' and the Dissapointer Sisters.

smark21 Guest
    Wouldn’t it be ironic if Gladys Knight gets voted out tonight?

While I enjoyed seeing Smokey, Martha, and the Temptations on the show, I was bothered by something else all together. In the opening segment when Tom Bergeron talked about the impact of Motown, there was NOT ONE mention of the Supremes or Diana Ross. [[Others weren't mentioned either, but how do you talk about Motown without mentioning the girls?)

Also: Human Nature was a nice additon as a tribute to the label. Since Mary has sung with them on their CD, why couldn't she have been invited to perform on the show?

Some things I will just never understand.

I didn't watch the show, but I take your point that it is difficult to talk about Motown and not mention The Supremes or Diana Ross. But perhaps they only mentioned the artists that appeared on the show. Did they mention any artists that were not there?

Gladys seems to be loved by the judges, but I think she still wound up in last place. One of the judges urged the viewers to vote for her. While checking out the above video of Gladys, I read the below comment about Martha. It seems that she was not in the best of voice.

But if Gladys felt bad for letting down Team Motown, she shouldn't. None of Gladys' moving violations were as much of a problem as what went on at the microphone when R&B star Martha Reeves stepped up to it.

The former Martha and The Vandellas frontwoman sang one of her classics [["Jimmy Mack") for "Dancing" contender Maria Menounos, but the resulting sound was far from the dulcet tones her fans have come to expect. Luckily for her, Len and the gang reserved their paddles for the dance.

I just watched the video of Martha singing on DWTS. I was expecting the worst. Yeah, much of her voice is gone, and maybe she should stop performing live, but why should she if people still want to see a legend? Sinatra was performing for top dollar and his voice was mostly gone too. But the audiences still loved him and it gave the younger generation a chance to see a legend. Here is the video. How does she sound?

Did you notice that when the mc was talking about Motown on the intro., they flashed a photo of the Miracles and said
    the Temptations?

You're right, Randy. I also didn't recognize several of the "new" Temptations, but I was glad Ron Tyson was still among them.

I thought Smokey's outfits looked good and he sounded good too.

Obviously, Martha's voice has lost a lot of its power but it still retains enough of its character and evokes enough of her signature sound so we know it's Martha, albeit older and not as strong as she was back in the day. I still think she sounds good and puts over the vocals in a way which makes you appreciate that she's out there.

I feel the same about Smokey. His was never a powerful voice to begin with, like Martha's, but I imagine the falsetto is hard to maintain [[unless you're Little Anthony whose voice has hardly changed since his glory years). He still sounds like Smokey, but some of the notes as written [[and as you want to hear them sung, especially in songs like "Ooh Baby Baby"), he just can't hit them anymore. But I appreciate hearing him. I just wish he would quit with all the work being done on his face, as someone mentioned in the other thread. His face looked positively frozen!

It really is inexplicable that Mary wasn't included in this show or that she, Diane, or the Sups didn't even get a mention. What's up with that?

Still, overall, a very nice tribute.
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-24-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_sku View Post
    While I enjoyed seeing Smokey, Martha, and the Temptations on the show, I was bothered by something else all together. In the opening segment when Tom Bergeron talked about the impact of Motown, there was NOT ONE mention of the Supremes or Diana Ross. [[Others weren't mentioned either, but how do you talk about Motown without mentioning the girls?)

Also: Human Nature was a nice additon as a tribute to the label. Since Mary has sung with them on their CD, why couldn't she have been invited to perform on the show?

Some things I will just never understand.
    Why couldn't Diana Ross tape the show? She never does anything to honor or promote the Motown Legacy.

There is no such thing as a coincidence [[smile). The Supremes were not accidentally omitted from being mentioned. There WAS a reason, but the answer will only be conjecture. It was a backroom decision.

On a happier note, I saw Bobby Rogers in the auduence for sure and Suzanne DePasse [[I think). Were any other Motowners present?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    There is no such thing as a coincidence [[smile). The Supremes were not accidentally omitted from being mentioned. There WAS a reason, but the answer will only be conjecture. It was a backroom decision.

On a happier note, I saw Bobby Rogers in the auduence for sure and Suzanne DePasse [[I think). Were any other Motowners present?
    Suzanne was next to Gordy. I think I saw Duke of the 4 Tops in the audience as well. And I'm pretty sure Gladys' brother [[Merald?) was in the audience, but he had gone bald so I wasn't positive!

Duke Fakir was in the audience.

Diana Ross and the Supremes were not mentioned on DWTS last night because the producers have read their threads here and didn't want to get drug into the mess. The fans here rip them all so who would want to be a part of that?

Mary was in the audience last night.

Martha didn't sound too good last night.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Diana Ross and the Supremes were not mentioned on DWTS last night because the producers have read their threads here and didn't want to get drug into the mess. The fans here rip them all so who would want to be a part of that?

Mary was in the audience last night.

Martha didn't sound too good last night.

Penny
    Oh yeah? What are the names of the producers that read threads here?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh yeah? What are the names of the producers that read threads here?
    And what producers are we talking about? I find it hard to believe that cat fights on the SDF affect casting decisions on DWTS!

I cannot respect any ode or tribute to Motown that would exclude the company's leading stars. An oversight is a gross understatement.

To put it simply, "Where they do that at!?!" SMH. What a joke.

Did they mention the Jackson 5?

I meant it as a joke but I can tell some assholes here don't have a sense of humor.

Penny

I meant it as a joke but I can tell some assholes here don't have a sense of humor.

Penny
    As one of the "a-holes," maybe an LOL or Icon would have made it obvious you were joking. I do have a sense of humor unlike what some might think...!

I wonder what went through Mary's head last night. I can't imagine sitting there for the whole program & not have any mention of a legacy I helped build.

On the flip side of the coin, Motown wasn't ONLY Diana Ross and/or the Supremes.

It's nice for others to get their due.

That was not right of DWTS to not mention The Supremes with Mary sitting right there, at least acknowledge she was in the audience along with Duke.

Penny
    I asked you about the producers and who they were because you brought it up. Are you now referring to me as an asshole because of that?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLuv64 View Post
    I wonder what went through Mary's head last night. I can't imagine sitting there for the whole program & not have any mention of a legacy I helped build.
    I am sure it's not that deep with her. It was just a nice, lightweight tribute to the record company. I don't know, but were they mentioned at the celebration of Motown held at the White House last year?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    On the flip side of the coin, Motown wasn't ONLY Diana Ross and/or the Supremes.

It's nice for others to get their due.
    Exactly.......

Quote Originally Posted by cbsong View Post
    That was not right of DWTS to not mention The Supremes with Mary sitting right there, at least acknowledge she was in the audience along with Duke.
    I didn't see her, did you see her? I saw Duke and a few other people I recognized. What part did they show Mary?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I didn't see her, did you see her? I saw Duke and a few other people I recognized. What part did they show Mary?
    I didn't see Mary in the audience either, but I wasn't always glued to the set and the audience shots are quick.

MARY WILSON WAS DEFINITELY IN THE DWTS AUDIENCE standing/sitting next to DUKE FAKIR. She got at least two on camera shots.

from last night's show

Name:  dwts.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  51.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by simplysupreme View Post
    from last night's show

My peoples!!!! LOL! Don't they look great? Thank you for this picture!

Great photo. Thanks for posting. That's funny that she was sitting with Duke. Weren't they involved for quite a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    MARY WILSON WAS DEFINITELY IN THE DWTS AUDIENCE standing/sitting next to DUKE FAKIR. She got at least two on camera shots.
    Thank you . I am going to see if I can spot her.

from last night's show

Martha Reeves looks like a fashion model.

Thanks for sharing this photo.

Roberta

Yes, I also saw Mary a couple of times during the broadcast. While the couples were dancing, I could also spot her from further away, sitting in the front row. I could tell it was her from the way she was sitting. Her legs were crossed in classic Ms. Powell form.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Great photo. Thanks for posting. That's funny that she was sitting with Duke. Weren't they involved for quite a while?
    Is Duke Fakir single now? Just wondering.

Here is another great photo of the beautiful First Lady of Motown Miss Martha Reeves, a very slender and youthful looking Gladys Knight and the woman with the best chin in show business Miss Mary Wilson.

Enjoy.

Roberta
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for that one, Roberta!

Thanks for that one, Roberta!
    My pleasure simplysupreme.

Best to you,

Roberta

I do think it's a shame they didn't acknowledge those in attendance such as Mary and Duke. Great photos! Thanks
    to those for posting.

smark21 Guest
    Gladys Knight’s dance partner ain’t too shabby either.