[REMOVE ADS]

The Ikettes -- a member or not ?

Does anyone know if Vessie Simmons was ever an Ikette ??
    Vessie was from LA and made some good solo records in the early to mid 70's.

Prior to that she had been in a number of groups .........
    The Ribbons -- Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya / My Baby Said [[Marsh 202; 1962)
    --- " --- -- After Last Night /* This Is Our* [[Marsh 203; 1963)
    --- " --- -- They Played A Sad Song / Melodie D'amour [[Parkway 912; 1964)
    Evelyn Doty & The Ribbons*-- Teach Me How To*Dance / I'd Like To Be [[Gramo 107; 1964)****
    The Sequins* -- I'll Be Satisfied / Who Says You Can't Jerk [[A & M 761; 1965)
    The Sandpapers -- Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya / My Baby Said [[Charger 114; 1965 - JUST A RE-RELEASE)
    .............. she was also probably in another group ...........
    The Buttons & Beaus - "Never Leave Your Sugar/Twistin' Blues"* [[Zen 104)*

"Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya" was a big hit in LA & made the US charts, the song being composed by P.J. Proby.*

Anyway, she was solo [[& recording again) by 1970 and later she ran a 'fake' set of Shirelles [[though she always claimed that she had been in the group in earlier days). She was prosecuted by the Federal Government for her 'Shirelles' activities in 1975 and so stopped running her version of the group from then.
    Vessie also claimed that she had been hired by Ike T to become an Ikette. She further claimed that she had gone on to lead a set of 'Ikettes', but I can find no mention of her amongst the dozens of femme singers who were actually Ikettes.
    Anyone know if she was in the group & if so, during which time period [[late 60's perhaps when she seemed to disappear off the radar).

I guess forum members aren't as interested in the Ikettes as they are in the Supremes !!!

I don't know the answer to the first question but suspect YES is the answer to the second !

LOL theboyfromotown, I don't know anything about Vessie Simmons but very intrigued by her story now that you brought it up. I hope that someone can shed some light on the subject. I've never heard of her but would love to know more. That's the great thing about this forum. When used right it can be MUSIC 101.

I can't answer any of the questions posed above, but I do have a fun Ikettes related story to share. Some years back, while visiting Los Angeles, a pal suggested we go to a Soul Food Restaurant. Being Canadian, there aren't many of those types of eateries here, so I was up for it. Located in a strip mall, it was a small place, with about six or so tables. A very well dressed African American woman checked me out and asked in a friendly way, "Hey you white boy, how'd you find out about this place?" I smiled back and replied, "I'm from Canada, my friend brought me here." She then asked, "What part of Canada," and I replied, "Vancouver." No kidding, she got up, walked over to my table, and stated, "I was an Ikette and we played there." She then proceeded to do an impromptu dance routine for me, and I can say that I have absolutely NO doubt she was the real thing!
    I LOVE visiting LA and have had many wonderful experiences while exploring the off beaten nooks and crannies of that city. It all flows when you are open and friendly to people and they respond in kind.

According to http://launch.dir.groups.yahoo.com/g...p/message/5666 she sang with Ike & Tina and led her own group of Ikettes
    Here's a members list from wikipedia
    Members

• Jo Armstead [[1960–c.1964)
    • P. P. Arnold
    • Bonnie Bramlett
    • Alesia Butler
    • Jean Brown
    • Denise Ferri
    • Mary Brown
    • Jean Burks
    • Shelly Clark)
    • Venetta Fields [[1961–1966)
    • Yolanda Goodwin
    • Martha Graham
    • Vera Hamilton
    • Eloise Hester
    • Brenda Holloway
    • Patrice Holloway
    • Janice Singleton
    • Delores Johnson
    • Esther Jones
    • Claudia Lennear
    • Charlotte Lewis
    • Robbie Montgomery
    • Paulette Parker
    • Pat Powdrill
    • Edna Lejeune Richardson
    • Vermettya Royster
    • Diane Rutherford-Swann
    • Stonye Figueroa
    • Gloria Scott
    • Linda Sims
    • Jessie Smith
    • Rose Smith
    • Jackie Stanton
    • Marquentta Tinsley
    • Ann Thomas
    • Marcy Thomas
    • Adrienne Williams
    • Carlena "Flora" Williams
    • Debbie Wilson
    • The Stovall Sisters [[1967)
    • Jeanette Bazzell [[mid 1990s to early 2000s)
    • Audrey Madison-Turner [[mid 1990s to early 2000s)
    • Mary Bennett [[April–July 1978, during the breakup of Ike and Tina)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Bramlett

Wow.....never knew there was a white Ikette! I've heard of Bonnie Bramlett, but have never heard her voice. I'm assuming she must have some soul in there! Didn't know the Stoval Sisters were also Ikettes. Interesting site. Thanks for posting P-Shark.

P-Shark, I knew about that site, in fact its the only one where Vessie being an Ikette ever gets mentioned ...
    .... EVEN THEN ... its just repeating what Vessie herself had stated in an earlier mag interview.
    I can find no other mention of her being in the group & I find that quite suspicious.
    As Vessie claimed [[on numerous occasions) that she was a member of the Shirelles in the 60's when she never actually was, I am inclined to doubt her claim to having been an Ikette as well.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    I can't answer any of the questions posed above, but I do have a fun Ikettes related story to share. Some years back, while visiting Los Angeles, a pal suggested we go to a Soul Food Restaurant. Being Canadian, there aren't many of those types of eateries here, so I was up for it. Located in a strip mall, it was a small place, with about six or so tables. A very well dressed African American woman checked me out and asked in a friendly way, "Hey you white boy, how'd you find out about this place?" I smiled back and replied, "I'm from Canada, my friend brought me here." She then asked, "What part of Canada," and I replied, "Vancouver." No kidding, she got up, walked over to my table, and stated, "I was an Ikette and we played there." She then proceeded to do an impromptu dance routine for me, and I can say that I have absolutely NO doubt she was the real thing!
    I LOVE visiting LA and have had many wonderful experiences while exploring the off beaten nooks and crannies of that city. It all flows when you are open and friendly to people and they respond in kind.

Mark - what makes it a SOUL FOOD restaurant?

Brenda and Patrice were Ikettes??

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Most likely they were Ikettes on record or in the studio only. At least that's what I've read. Singer Judy PAGE WAS AN IKETTE too. BUT SHE'S NOT ON THE WIKI LIST.

Bonnie Bramlett later became an actress and was a repeat character in Roseanne. She recorded as Delaney and Bonnie
    on Stax.

Don't believe what you read.
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post

the original Ikettes were Robbie Montgomery, Jessie Smith, & Joshie Armstead[[who was replaced by Venetta Fields). Robbie, Jessie & Venetta became the Mirettes after the "Peaches & Cream" "I'm So Thankful" & "Camel Walk" hits.From what I remember.Esther Burton Jones was the main Ikette after Proud Mary hit.

John;
    Only saw your question re soul food just now. From what I saw being served, a Soul Food Restaurant serves Pigs Feet, Chitlin's [[Pigs intestines), Collard Greens, corn bread, Fried Chicken [[not like anything served up at Kentucky Fried Chicken for sure), and Sweet Potato Pie for starters. I remember the best macaroni I ever tasted as well. I'm sure larger restaurants serve more items, but this was small and everything was in warmers and you got to pick choices. Another friend told me that decades ago, Chitlin's were a common dish enjoyed at meals. A lot of work is involved in properly cleaning the intestines. Today because of the labor intensive work involved, this common dish has become very expensive in restaurants. I'm sure regular patrons can fill in items I missed. I'm hooked now and seek them out when I get to Los Angeles.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 04-23-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Vessie Simmons was not an Ikette. Most of The Ikettes on the list on Wiki were only live Ikettes. Very few made it to the studio, most significantly Delores Johnson, Robbie Montgomery, Jessie Smith and Venetta Fields.

Brenda and Patrice Holloway backed Pat Arnold on the Phi-Dan single, but did not appear live as far as I can tell.

It's worth noting that after Venetta, Jessie and Robbie decamped to become Mirettes there was very little recorded output from The Ikettes. Some singles and a mid-1970's album of mostly covers of old material, but nothing like the volume of recording done for Atco and Modern.