[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cindy Birdsong's debut at the Hippodrome in London 1987

Cindy introduces her good friend Diane Ross who gets thunderous applause at the 10.41 mark.

Miss Birdsong is a good Christian woman and I love her.

Roberta

Introducing Diana at that early part might not have been a good idea since the crowd kept turning their heads backwards during Cindy's performance to catch a glimpse of Diana Ross dining in the balcony area. US Brits are not normally that rude!!

This film would have been shot from the dining room area which explains why there was a certain level of chatter.

Thanks for sharing, boyfromxtown. This is great!

How cool would it be if Hip O could acquire these tracks and give Cindy a proper release?!

It was a definitely a fun night and there was a secret satisfaction by the fans that Cindy chose London for her debut rather than America. Some 10 years before, the Supremes had chosen London's Drury Lane theatre which was only a stone's throw from the Hippodrome or as it was once called...London't Talk Of The Town.

Cindy was on Capital Radio plugging the performance. I probably recorded it on a cassette. as did most fans at that time.

Watching that video, the music seemed to overpower Cindy's voice...it wasn't like that for us on the floor. Cindy was in great voice and she got an instant rapport with the fans. The only downside of that night out was the price of the drinks.....£1.75 for half a pint of lager...when it would cost a little over a £1 for a pint elsewhere. LOL

By the looks of the video, the place was packed. Wish Cindy could've kept that momentum going. Her talent has always been very underrated.

It was certainly very busy and what was amusing was that all those Supremes fans who you had only heard of by name previously, were ALL there. It turned out to be an evening where you met a lot of fellow fans...who I am still in contact with today.

John,
    Are you visible in the crowd?

Thanks John for this; I've seen a piece but never all of this.

At times the music does seem to overpower, but again............we see a lady who could obviously sing and work a stage, but it just wasn't enough to become successful in her own right.

Her version of the Supremes medley is not bad ~ probably outdoing some other Supremes. And it was heard so seldom.

Am I visible in the crowd? I am still looking!! LOL I know I didn't stand next to the stage cos there were too many stalwarts hogging their positions from when they first entered the club. I stood back a bit and had a really good view. These days it's easier to pick me out by my bald patch but I still had a full head of hair then. LOL

It seems Steve Weaver shot this from the balcony dining area. That was a feat in itself. How he managed to smuggle in a video camera [[or whatever we had in those days) foxes me...I took a camera but that was taken off me at the entrance.

Most of the new songs had fast disco arrangements. I would have liked to have heard Cindy sing a few more slower songs where she could really give it her all.

This is a great performance. I never focused that much on Cindy's vocal abilities before and hearing her as a solo performer, she certainly delivers. I hope she finds a publisher for her memoirs, as she has invaluable insight into the music scene being involved with The Bluebelles and The Supremes.
    It is unfortunate that after Cindy introduced Diana, the audience kept turning to check her out. I recall seeing a documentary of the children of superstars performing and seeing Aretha Franklin's son's band. Aretha was at the back of this small club, and the audience seemed more interested in her being there than grooving to her son!
    That Diana would support Cindy Birdsong's by attending her first solo performance in London, as well as attending Mary Wilson's NYC Nightclub gig, when she was promoting her"Red Hot" single, says a lot about Diana's real feelings about her former group mates.
    I've always get a big kick when I listen to Marvin Gaye's "Funky Space Reincarnation" and he mentions "Miss Birdsong" in the song lyric. Thank you for posting!
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 04-05-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: updated info

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Her version of the Supremes medley is not bad ~ probably outdoing some other Supremes. And it was heard so seldom.
    I agree. After Diana, I think Cindy has the best suited voice to the 60s Supremes material.

Quote Originally Posted by simplysupreme View Post
    I agree. After Diana, I think Cindy has the best suited voice to the 60s Supremes material.
    I also agree. When Sundray Tucker joined the FLOS she sound was good on the Supreme material as well.

http://www.drivingwheel.eu/

http://www.cindyscott.eu/

If I remember correctly, Sundray Tucker [[AKA Cindy Scott) went with her sister, Lynda Laurence, to audition for Mary Wilson for a position in The Supremes. As we all know, Lynda got the job. Sundary/Cindy has a great voice.
    Last edited by blueskies; 04-05-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I also agree. When Sundray Tucker joined the FLOS she sound was good on the Supreme material as well.
    I agree with that, too!

Hmm Ihave to agree
    Cindy sounds good on the Supreme Tracks ---

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    This is a great performance. I never focused that much on Cindy's vocal abilities before and hearing her as a solo performer, she certainly delivers. I hope she finds a publisher for her memoirs, as she has invaluable insight into the music scene being involved with The Bluebelles and The Supremes.
    It is unfortunate that after Cindy introduced Diana, the audience kept turning to check her out. I recall seeing a documentary of the children of superstars performing and seeing Aretha Franklin's son's band. Aretha was at the back of this small club, and the audience seemed more interested in her being there than grooving to her son!
    That Diana would support Cindy Birdsong's by attending her first solo performance in London, as well as attending Mary Wilson's NYC Nightclub gig, when she was promoting her"Red Hot" single, says a lot about Diana's real feelings about her former group mates.
    I've always get a big kick when I listen to Marvin Gaye's "Funky Space Reincarnation" and he mentions "Miss Birdsong" in the song lyric. Thank you for posting!
    Mark you too? Regarding Marvin Gaye mentioning Cindy Birdsong in Funky Space Reincarnation. O l love it when he goes " and you little Miss Birdsong, come here, come go with me......" Several on this forum have argued with me over that fact when I know that is what he said and who he was referring to!

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    I've always get a big kick when I listen to Marvin Gaye's "Funky Space Reincarnation" and he mentions "Miss Birdsong" in the song lyric.
    How cool! Never knew that.

The Hippodrome was owned / run by Pete Stringfellow,[[who had run the 1st allnighter soul club I attended back in the mid 60's in Sheffield).
    Back in the 60's, Pete became good friends with Edwin Starr [[Edwin would sleep on the floor at Pete's mother's house after show's at the King Mojo Club). Then Pete helped out the Velours / Fantastics when they decided to settle in the UK [[after being tricked into playing gigs here as the 'Fabulous Temptations'). Pete became their manager for a while.
    MOVE ON NOW .... About the same time as he ran the Hippodrome Club, he ran his Hippodrome Record label & signed the likes of Edwin Starr & Dusty Springfield to it.
    Pete always looked back fondly on his King Mojo Club days & so when the place started gettin praise as one of the major clubs at the start of the NS scene, he held a Mojo revival night back in Sheffield [[at the Leadmill). I was photographed with him [[for the Sheffield newspaper) as I'd done a piece on the old club.
    He enjoyed the night so much, he organised another Mojo revival night at the Hippodrome.
    We all went down [[at his invite - free entry, etc.) & I ended up on stage singing along to ??? with Edwin Starr, Jimmy James, Chris Farlowe & more --- AND I can't sing for toffee.
    Chris Farlowe on RSG ......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxerdh-3tc4
    ....... MIND YOU, I didn't get asked back to sing with Cindy, so I'm going off to sulk now. BYE !!!

I was very surprised at how Cindy sounded on this video.

She is about as close to Diana as any other Supreme or semi connected Supreme sounded.

I gather Cindy wasn't really terribly interested in a career for very long after the Supremes folded. I guess what also made it hard for these women to develop a career was that the Supremes had their run, the public tired of it and them and for a period in the 70's, they just seemed to be really "old" and unsaleable.

If the right group of them had stuck together and if they'd have had some stubborn glue like Otis, who has obvious management skills and street smarts ~ 10 or 15 years later, they might have been able to come up with some new hit material like the Temptations did and they would have lasted so much better.

Perhaps this is why some diehard Supremes fans are so bitter toward so many ex Supremes.

smark21 Guest
    Listening to Cindy on that Supremes medley makes me wonder why she wasn’t given the lead on the 60’s hits medley when Jean joined the group. My understanding was that Jean was never thrilled about singing the 60’s hits. Maybe Cindy doing the 60’s hits medley with Mary and Jean recreating the Mary/Flo sound could have been an exciting part of the act.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    The Hippodrome was owned / run by Pete Stringfellow,[[who had run the 1st allnighter soul club I attended back in the mid 60's in Sheffield).
    Back in the 60's, Pete became good friends with Edwin Starr [[Edwin would sleep on the floor at Pete's mother's house after show's at the King Mojo Club). Then Pete helped out the Velours / Fantastics when they decided to settle in the UK [[after being tricked into playing gigs here as the 'Fabulous Temptations'). Pete became their manager for a while.
    MOVE ON NOW .... About the same time as he ran the Hippodrome Club, he ran his Hippodrome Record label & signed the likes of Edwin Starr & Dusty Springfield to it.
    Pete always looked back fondly on his King Mojo Club days & so when the place started gettin praise as one of the major clubs at the start of the NS scene, he held a Mojo revival night back in Sheffield [[at the Leadmill). I was photographed with him [[for the Sheffield newspaper) as I'd done a piece on the old club.
    He enjoyed the night so much, he organised another Mojo revival night at the Hippodrome.
    We all went down [[at his invite - free entry, etc.) & I ended up on stage singing along to ??? with Edwin Starr, Jimmy James, Chris Farlowe & more --- AND I can't sing for toffee.
    Chris Farlowe on RSG ......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxerdh-3tc4
    ....... MIND YOU, I didn't get asked back to sing with Cindy, so I'm going off to sulk now. BYE !!!

That is great background information . Thanks Jsmith! I'll add that Peter Stringfellow also had Mary Wilson record "My Love Life Is a Disaster" for a proposed release on "Stringfellow Records" in the 80's. He also had nightclub here in New York called Stringfellows that I have been to once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Listening to Cindy on that Supremes medley makes me wonder why she wasn’t given the lead on the 60’s hits medley when Jean joined the group. My understanding was that Jean was never thrilled about singing the 60’s hits. Maybe Cindy doing the 60’s hits medley with Mary and Jean recreating the Mary/Flo sound could have been an exciting part of the act.
    She did get to sing some leads on the medley of hits when the group was Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne and Cindy later on.

I was very surprised at how Cindy sounded on this video.

She is about as close to Diana as any other Supreme or semi connected Supreme sounded.

I gather Cindy wasn't really terribly interested in a career for very long after the Supremes folded. I guess what also made it hard for these women to develop a career was that the Supremes had their run, the public tired of it and them and for a period in the 70's, they just seemed to be really "old" and unsaleable.

If the right group of them had stuck together and if they'd have had some stubborn glue like Otis, who has obvious management skills and street smarts ~ 10 or 15 years later, they might have been able to come up with some new hit material like the Temptations did and they would have lasted so much better.

Perhaps this is why some diehard Supremes fans are so bitter toward so many ex Supremes.
    They didn't seem any older than Diana Ross. They just did not get the same push. They were all still dressing up, going out on stage singing Pop-Soul music. Otis Williams also had an iron fist! LOL!

I think the Supreme ladies did pretty much what they wanted to do in the years after the Supremes disbanded. Today we have Mary, Scherrie Payne & Lynda Laurence and Susaye Greene all still singing and performing. Jean Terrell too......when she wants to.

Why didn't any of the producers at Motown ever think to give Cindy a full lead in the studio at all throughout her entire time with group? I know she did a few solo spots in tracks like "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and unreleased tracks like "Amen," and "The Sha-La Bandit," but didn't anybody think to give her the full lead on a track. Well, according to Scherrie Payne, there was one track Cindy did ask to sing lead on, but unfortunately the track cannot be located and/or her vocals were erased along with Scherrie's lead. The track I'm talking about is "High Energy." It's most likely they were erased when Susaye recorded her leads on the song. It's a shame though because we will never get a chance to hear the only lead Cindy ever did with the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Why didn't any of the producers at Motown ever think to give Cindy a full lead in the studio at all throughout her entire time with group? I know she did a few solo spots in tracks like "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and unreleased tracks like "Amen," and "The Sha-La Bandit," but didn't anybody think to give her the full lead on a track. Well, according to Scherrie Payne, there was one track Cindy did ask to sing lead on, but unfortunately the track cannot be located and/or her vocals were erased along with Scherrie's lead. The track I'm talking about is "High Energy." It's most likely they were erased when Susaye recorded her leads on the song. It's a shame though because we will never get a chance to hear the only lead Cindy ever did with the Supremes.
    Why? Because she was not hired to sing lead or did they take her seriously as a vocalist [[at least at first). She was hired to replace Florence Ballard because some thought that she looked like Flo. Sorry to be blunt, but thems the facts!

From this video, it would appear Cindy's lead on the Supremes songs would have been closer to the originals than Jean's leads. I can't really blame Jean for not wanting to sing the old songs; she ran up a few decent sized hits of her own and she got some wonderful reviews.

Maybe they should have just stuck with Jean doing all the leads and tried to change a little bit without going off onto an entirely new sound. The new sound obviously didnt work but we'll never know what else could have been tried that might have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Why? Because she was not hired to sing lead or did they take her seriously as a vocalist [[at least at first). She was hired to replace Florence Ballard because some thought that she looked like Flo. Sorry to be blunt, but thems the facts!
    I'm not talking about the 60's era. I'm talking about the 70's era and by then Cindy was no longer looked at as just Florence's replacement or a look-a-like. Cindy may not have been hired as a outstanding vocalist on par with Florence, but take a listen to her in the background on the 70's recordings. Cindy was a strong vocalist and could have handled a lead without any struggle.

Maybe they should have just stuck with Jean doing all the leads and tried to change a little bit without going off onto an entirely new sound. The new sound obviously didnt work but we'll never know what else could have been tried that might have worked.
    What are you talking about? Jean Terrell was the principle lead singer during her years with the group.

What are you talking about when you say "and tried to change a little bit without going off onto an entirely new sound...."? The new sound obviously didn't work?

What are you talking about? Jean Terrell was the best vocalist the Supremes ever had period and if you are referring to songs she led on, then the "new sound" absolutely worked!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

I'm not talking about the 60's era. I'm talking about the 70's era and by then Cindy was no longer looked at as just Florence's replacement or a look-a-like. Cindy may not have been hired as a outstanding vocalist on par with Florence, but take a listen to her in the background on the 70's recordings. Cindy was a strong vocalist and could have handled a lead without any struggle.
    Brad, I am just telling you the way it was. It was the same way for her in the 70's pretty much. Sure she developed into a recognizable personality and she was marvelous in her role, however the company, nor it's producers took interest in her for lead vocals. I know she has a strong voice and can sing. They never tried producing her because of the reasons I gave in my earlier post. At least she got a few lead lines here and there. As a Supreme, there were no lead vocals recorded on Lynda Laurence to my knowledge.

Mary says in her 2nd book that during Cindy's second time around with the group she started to be vocal about her not getting any leads but Mary basically says that Cindy didn't push enough to get any leads. Maybe Cindy was happy just being a background singer. She had great stage charisma though definitely more than Jean or Mary.

Marv2, he also had a Stringfellows Club in London [[just around the corner from the Hippodrome). The Hippo was meant for 'normal' punters [[though the drinks were VERY expensive & food even more so). Stringfellows was for 'celebs'. They [[celebs) would turn up every night & if they wanted privacy would go into the 'VIP' roped off area of the club [[the Hippo also had a similar area). You were only allowed into this area if the bouncer knew who you were or you were with a known face.
    Pete mad loads of money in the 1st 10 years at his 'Stringfellows London club ..... so he opened others in Miami, LA & NY. Only trouble was LA & Miami celebs were used to getting everything for free so expected free entrance, free booze & free food. His LA Miami clubs soon went bust & he headed back to the UK a wiser man.
    Last edited by jsmith; 04-06-2012 at 03:21 AM.

When I saw this video of Cindy's lead on the Supremes hits circulate about 10 years ago, I thought her vocals sucked. Watching this again only confirms what I saw a decade ago. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the rest of the video or that Cindy doesn't have a good voice; she certainly could have done some leads with the Supremes after Diana left. Her medley just fell flat with me. If anything, she should have done some 70's hits; "Ladder", "Stoned" and "Nathan". Besides, didn't those chart higher in the UK than "Baby Love", "Stop!" and "Hanging"? And I agree with above; Cindy has a great personality and stage persona. It's too bad she didn't stick with it; she could have very well "hit" with the right material.

And how great that Diana showed up to support her Supreme sister.

Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    When I saw this video of Cindy's lead on the Supremes hits circulate about 10 years ago, I thought her vocals sucked. Watching this again only confirms what I saw a decade ago. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the rest of the video or that Cindy doesn't have a good voice; she certainly could have done some leads with the Supremes after Diana left. Her medley just fell flat with me. If anything, she should have done some 70's hits; "Ladder", "Stoned" and "Nathan". Besides, didn't those chart higher in the UK than "Baby Love", "Stop!" and "Hanging"? And I agree with above; Cindy has a great personality and stage persona. It's too bad she didn't stick with it; she could have very well "hit" with the right material.

And how great that Diana showed up to support her Supreme sister.

Thanks for posting this.
    Well she did the "Supremes Medley" on the Regis Philbin Show too and it was alright I guess. But then she sang one of her solo songs, "Crazy For You" and it was not alright. Cindy had this baby-doll like voice similar to LaToya Jackson in my opinion. Now on the Gospel songs, she really excelled.

John

In regard to Stringfellows, it's HAS and not WAS. Well, it was there a few weeks ago!

Cindy has many dynamics to her voice imo. Now when she had her lead part on Love the One Youre With, that came off powerful as well as when she sang her part of the vamp on Love Train. Her solo of Dancing Room is very good as well. I know some singers use that light voice as to not strain their voice or they are trying to find their voice. I wasn't crazy about some of Mary's leads with that breathy sound on songs like Heart Like Mine and the begining of I Keep It Hid, but because Mary sang more leads and took voice lessons, she found her voice. I heard a lot of potential in Cindy's voice so I wouldn't say the medley sucked, it had it's moments. I think if singers stuck to the way Diana sang those songs, they would go over much better, but Cindy sang those song closer to Diana than any of the others

The sound in this video is not the greatest so that makes it hard to be very accurate in what we say.

Rod's post makes sense to me.

It's never a really good idea to stray from the originals in concert unless you are totally redoing a song. Jean, Scherrie, Mary ~ none of them were great with Diana's leads; as has been said many times, no one really does them well.

boyfromxtown, did Cindy perform her single "Dancing Room" that night?

Take a listen to Cindy's little solo in "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In" from the Farewell concert. She certainly shows her power and does better with the song than Mary did. It sounds as though Diana was impressed with her too. Almost like Diana was saying "Wow, she can sing!"

boyfromxtown, I haven't heard the Hippodrome mentioned in the press or seen ads for shows there in over 10 years, that's why I thought it was now a WAS !!
    Do they still host live acts at the venue then ???

I don't know personally, John.....a fellow SDF'er would know about that more than me! LOL

It's a 'was' as far as big live shows go. Been closed for ages. Will be reopening later this year as a casino with a small 200 seat cabaret theatre. Shame!

http://www.hippodromecasino.com/

http://www.hippodromecasino.com/inde...t_menu=cabaret

Quote Originally Posted by simplysupreme View Post
    boyfromxtown, did Cindy perform her single "Dancing Room" that night?
    Yes she did. I did not hear it in that youtube video but I know for sure she sang that one.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Yes she did. I did not hear it in that youtube video but I know for sure she sang that one.
    Thanks for all the info!

Jean's sounded worked well, Marv. But the new one with Mary did not work and was the end of the group.

Cindy appeared on Capital Radio promoting the concert and there was some type of competition. I can't remember what the prize was but it may have been free entrance to the Hippodrome and the possibility of a meet. I didn't win but I do recall that I knew the person who did.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Interesting to see the 1958 photo of The Talk of the Town marquee. It appears The Supremes LIVE album cover used almost the exact same font/logo, including the placement of the stars in the letters.

Jean's sounded worked well, Marv. But the new one with Mary did not work and was the end of the group.
    I am having a hard time understanding what you are talking about? I am sorry.