[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Apr 3, 9P-12M ET:Motown Cover Versions by NON-Motown Artists!

Hello there, Folks! As the title of the show indicates...tonight on "Nightflight", you will hear some of your favorite Motown tracks [[and NOT merely the hits) recorded by a broad variety of NON-Motown artists.
    As usual, when I prepare for a show, some of the things I find out there are jaw-droppingly surprising...
    and that ain't easy for a jaded old Motown Fan like me. So join me tonight for all that...and more...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide at www.womr.org
    Thanks!
    John
    PS....next week [[4/10/12) my annual pre-Dusty Day Tribute!

Hi John,

Hope you had a great week. Looking forward to tonights show. You always find some great obscure choices. Might run a few minutes behind but will be there asap. See you and the gang then!

Hey there, Glen! Great that you'll be joining us. Yes.....obscure....that's my middle name! Some old...some new....some obscure....and....well....you got the drift. Please announce your arrival when you enter so we'll know you're here.....

Looking forward to tonight's Motown Covers show. There are some great Motown covers out there. Check your e-mail I just sent you a few Motown covers you may not have. If the program isn't set yet you may want to use one of them. See you on the radio my friend.

Phil Collins - You can't hurry love please.

Thank you,

Roberta

Hi John. Would be great if you play 'Love Is Here And Now You're Gone' by Doris Duke for all deep soul lovers. Thanks. BTW is your Dusty show going to be next week?

A CD I have called Just Walk in My Shoes: Songs of the Motor City:
    1.I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying - James, Jimmy
    2.Just Walk In My Shoes - Davis, Billie
    3.Dancing In The Street - Clark, Petula
    4.Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever - Tremeloes
    5.No Good Without You Baby - Paddy, Klaus & Gibson
    6.Every Little Bit Hurts - Small Faces
    7.Since I Lost My Baby - French, Ray
    8.I'll Always Love You - Timebox
    9.Put Yourself In My Place - Panter, Jan
    10.Needle In A Haystack - Reed, Tawney
    11.Money - Undertakers
    12.Ask The Lonely - Rio, Bobby
    13.Tears Of A Clown - Clark, Petula
    14.Bye Bye Baby - Jackson, Tony
    15.Reach Out I'll Be There - Trent, Jackie
    16.I'll Be Doggone - Searchers
    17.It's Growing - James, Jimmy
    18.As Long As I Know He's Mine - Grant, Julie
    19.Stubborn Kind Of Fellow - Bystanders
    20.Too Many Fish In The Sea - Tremeloes
    21.Baby I Need Your Loving - Shaw, Sandie
    22.My Girl - Wayne, Carl
    23.When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes - Silver, Lorraine
    24.You Beat Me To The Punch - Jackson, Tony
    25.I Want To Go Back There Again - New Formula
    26.Ain't That Peculiar [[instrumental) - Sounds Orchestral
    27.Let's Go Somewhere - Garrick, David
    28.Way You Do The Things You Do - Trends
    29.Composer - Browne, Polly
    30.What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted - Farlowe, Chris

IMHO Steve, there are only 3 good covers on it. Chris Farlowe, Julie Grant & Small Faces.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    IMHO Steve, there are only 3 good covers on it. Chris Farlowe, Julie Grant & Small Faces.
    I can't disagree. It has been a year or more since I've listened to it.

Roberta....I will try to get that on...I just have so much planned to play...

copley...don't have that "LIHANYG" track...and yes....next week the annual Dusty tribute....

Steve...thanks for that list...that would be a whole show in itself....

I see there's a couple of Tony Jackson tracks on the CD. I remember quite liking his cover of "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Looking forward to tonight's Motown Covers show. There are some great Motown covers out there. Check your e-mail I just sent you a few Motown covers you may not have. If the program isn't set yet you may want to use one of them. See you on the radio my friend.
    thank you, Joe!!! See you later...on the radio....

smark21 Guest
    Any chance that Love Child by Sweet Sensation will get played?

Sounds like a hot show Johnny...see you in a few...

Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    Sounds like a hot show Johnny...see you in a few...
    hey, Tonyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

....in the studio!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Any chance that Love Child by Sweet Sensation will get played?

smark21...sorry....I've got so many already planned....

It took me a while... but then recognized the lyrics: Seven Rooms Of Gloom

That Wasa Express, where were/are they from?

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    That Wasa Express, where were/are they from?

I truly don't know...I just found the tracks....let me know what you find out[[*smile)!

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2375... indeed!
    Swedish rock-jazz band from the '70's.
    They folded in '79.
    Regrouped this century and make albums again.

Etta recorded three Motown covers for her Island album debut "Seven Year Itch". Only one "Shakey Ground" made the final cut. "Every Little Bit Hurts" later appeared on the collection "How Strong Is A Woman". "Higher Ground" can be found on the box set "Heart & Soul".

Are those ancient Beatles and/or Stones covers of Motown songs in the show?

Johnny! What a BEAUTIFUL day and theme for Nightflight...I'm digging it.

No need to fear; Howard's here!

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Last edited by MotownLover; 04-03-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: misspelled "Nightflight"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Johnny! What a BEAUTIFUL day and theme for Nightflight...I'm digging it.

No need to fear; Howard's here!

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Howard....great to see you!!!

That's funny...I CAN'T SEE YOU, but I hear you VERY WELL...

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    That's funny...I CAN'T SEE YOU, but I hear you VERY WELL...
    Oh...Howard.....yuk yuk yuk.....[[*smile)!

Actually...I CAN see you...special powers I have...so be careful.....

Thank you for playing this track by the Harlettes especially Sharon Redd..brings back many fond memories of when I had the pleasure to meet her on several occasions and she actually sang to my friend and I one night the a club in Hollywood. RIP Sharon ....

Hi everyone!

I have finally made it and love what im hearing!

Now knowing Kim Weston's version and hearing Alice Clark's again, why do I keep hearing Diana Ross' voice saying "They stole my record. They copied it note for note. You can't do that" -as she said in regard to The 5th Dimensions version of 'Love Hangover'
    [[released before Diana's) . Alice's inflections and changes in volume/intensity seem to follow Kim's. Could someone have snuck an acetate of Kim's version and allowed Alice to hear it? Just askin'?

Thank you for playing this track by the Harlettes especially Sharon Redd..brings back many fond memories of when I had the pleasure to meet her on several occasions and she actually sang to my friend and I one night the a club in Hollywood. RIP Sharon ....

My pleasure, Tony.....it's so gorgeous....how wonderful that you were able to meet and see her.....

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Hi everyone!

I have finally made it and love what im hearing!

Welcome, Glen....thanks!!!

Johnny,
    "J.Geils Band's version without the ladies???? The opening falsetto on the Contours version is done by Miracle, Bobby Rogers- one of the songs composers. Trivia- Motown lists Smokey first in composer credits; the J.Geils Band lists Bobby first.
    And don't forget.. Danny Day is really Hal Davis- head of Motown's West Coast office. Just cause he worked with & even duetted with Brenda Holloway doesn't mean he can SANG
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 04-03-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Laura Nyro had such a respect for Philly Soul and Motown... Gotta love her..... And those fabulous songs she penned...

Wail, girls wail... Nowhere To Run... great improvisation

Luther really was one of the best cover interpreters ever. He knew how to just to put the right spin on a standard and tailor it to his strengths.....

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Johnny,
    "J.Geils Band's version without the ladies???? The opening falsetto on the Contours version is done by Miracle, Bobby Rogers- one of the songs composers. Trivia- Motown lists Smokey first in composer credits; the J.Geils Band lists Bobby first.
    And don't forget.. Danny Day is really Hal Davis- head of Motown's West Coast office. Just cause he worked with & even duetted with Brenda Holloway doesn't mean he can SANG
    Carole....you have a habit of straightening out my wrinkles...and I appreciate it! And I also did not know that Danny Day was Hal Davis....my jaw has dropped....thanks!

Dancing In the Street was going to anchor the 9th studio LP from the Carpenters in 1978 along with a cover of ABBAs Thank You For tHe Music but the LP was scrapped when Richard got sent to rehab for his Quaalude addiction. There is a longer version available on their As Time Goes By compilation from around 7 years ago. it also featured in their Space Encounters ABC Tv special which guest starred Suzanne Somers in 1978 as well....

Sorry Phoebe.. Diana, Flo, & Mary are the masters of this song... althought it would be good to hear a stereo mix of the mono version [[hint, hint). Also would be curious to hear Miss Martha & the Vandellas' unreleased version

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Dancing In the Street was going to anchor the 9th studio LP from the Carpenters in 1978 along with a cover of ABBAs Thank You For tHe Music but the LP was scrapped when Richard got sent to rehab for his Quaalude addiction. There is a longer version available on their As Time Goes By compilation from around 7 years ago. it also featured in their Space Encounters ABC Tv special which guest starred Suzanne Somers in 1978 as well....
    The version on ''as time goes by'' is 1:59 [[part of a longer medley of songs recorded for the special) and arranged and conducted by Paul Riser, hired by Richard Carpenter to capture the Motown feel.

The version on ''as time goes by'' is 1:59 [[part of a longer medley of songs recorded for the special) and arranged and conducted by Paul Riser, hired by Richard Carpenter to capture the Motown feel.
    Thanks Carole i had forgotten the Riser connection. The Carps really did love Motown particularly The Marvelettes since they put out two covers from them as singles. Wish Richard would let more stuff like the songs I mentioned out of the vault but hes as strict about how his catalog is presented as Stevie Wonder is....

Glen,
    I could never understand Richard's logic. He's sitting on a gold mine- just, like Stevie is. I assume that for both of them money's no object- they've got enough of it!

I can just visualize Herman & Lily Munster groovin' to this version of 'My World Is Empty'- or even Gomez & Morticia

Wonderful show John! You really came up with some rare covers that I had not previously heard. Thanks again for playing Etta. Everyone have a great week. Really looking forward to the annual Dusty Show next week. Three big fat hours of the Duster! Miss Springfield was one of kind. Love her madly!

Great show tonight JP - you really did search the world for us tonight eh? hehe Have a wonderful Easter and see you all on Dusty Day

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Wonderful show John! You really came up with some rare covers that I had not previously heard. Thanks again for playing Etta. Everyone have a great week. Really looking forward to the annual Dusty Show next week. Three big fat hours of the Duster! Miss Springfield was one of kind. Love her madly!
    Thanks, Joseph....thanks for helping it be wonderful with your Etta Motown cover tracks!

Great show tonight JP - you really did search the world for us tonight eh? hehe Have a wonderful Easter and see you all on Dusty Day
    Tony....thank you....Happy Bunny Day and see you on Dusty Day yourself!

Alice's inflections and changes in volume/intensity seem to follow Kim's. Could someone have snuck an acetate of Kim's version and allowed Alice to hear it? Just askin'?
    As George Kerr, who co-wrote the song, produced the Alice Clark version, it's a distinct possibility.

John;
    I thought I'd heard most worthwhile Motown cover songs worth listening to and was blown away by the gems you uncovered this past Tuesday on Nightflight. I particularly enjoyed Joni Mitchell's take on "Trouble Man," as well as the Del-Byzanteen's homage to "My World is Empty Without You." Wow! Thanks for all your deep crate digging!

Mark....thanks so much! Glad you were able to hear the show!!!