[REMOVE ADS]

The worst 45 edit ever!

I just stumbled across this on YouTube. It sounds like some random person was set loose with the master tape and a razor blade. I think this promo version is edited in a less subtle way than the commercial 45.

However, for me this is the worst 45 edit ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl7Q7...eature=related

I love this song, but the edits are quite amateurish and slightly jarring!

"Reflection" also has a slight hiccup before the final chorus where they left out the last verse.

Yikes! What was that?! Sounds like they may have been trying to include a bit of every change and nuance of the original long version but the effect is just as you say--jarring. The mix sounds like it got caught between two ping-pong paddles, and the game was over early into it. Still interesting to hear. Thanks very much for posting. I never would have heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I just stumbled across this on YouTube. It sounds like some random person was set loose with the master tape and a razor blade. I think this promo version is edited in a less subtle way than the commercial 45.

However, for me this is the worst 45 edit ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl7Q7...eature=related
    I wouldn't be surprised if berry Gordy himself did the edits. The one that sounds awful is on her mono single "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", and Gordy did do that one himself. It's the second splice right after the first verse, where she sings "And that you can depend, and never worry", and it cuts right to "No wind, no rain...". But, the mono mix is unique, so I live with it.

No wonder why this song never made it to the top 20. They should have released the song in its entirety. If "MacArthur Park" could have made it to number two as a 7:30 single, then they certainly could have done the same with this song. Whoever did this edit should have been fired.

i was never very impressed with the single edit on the Supremes & 4 Tops 'river deep, mountain high', where on the second chorus 2 lines were cut, leaving the chorus as "Do I Love You"..."Oh How I Love You Baby" - by truncating half the chorus, it left the song feeling a bit unbalanced at that point, i always felt.

However, the worst edit ever [[non-Motown) was the UK re-release of the Shangri-las' 'Leader Of The Pack' in the early 70s which missed out the first line of the [[I think) third verse - "one day my dad said find someone new" - it completely messed up the balance of the song - yet the re-release made the top 3 in the charts!

I always hated the single edit on Stoned Love! That great beginning just cut off and the awkward edit in the middle.

"Touch," which was a great album cut but never should have been a single in my opinion, was butchered in the single edit.

ALL I NEED IS TIME by Gladys Knight and the Pips has a bad single edit. I gather because the song was originally over 4 minutes long, they decided to cut it down. But songs like this need to be listened to in their entirety. At least they didn't edit NEITHER ONE OF US down.

The UK You're Kiss Is Sweet by Syreeta 45 has a bad edit near the end.

I thought the 45 edit of Stoned Love was great. I can still remember it coming on the radio. Right out of the blue after the news or an ad you would get Jean Terrell saying or singing "Stoneddddddddd Love".

I'm not so sure Touch was a bad edit; it's a great song but whoever chose that for a single release deserved to have their pay docked; that was one of the choices that sank the Supremes ~ it was too slow, too different, unfamiliar; there was no way that was going to get much radio play.

The River Deep Mountain High edit was a little odd.

Generally, I got used to all the Motown edits and ended up liking them all.

The Stoned Love edit is interesting in that Motown edited in an earlier section of the song at 2:10 to 2:23 from 0:48 to 1:00 [[all times relate to the single edit).

I think it is a great punchy version of the song.

I must admit that most of the single edits mentioned didn't bother me. I heard the single versions first, so what did I know? It was only years later when hearing the full-length versions that I thought some of the edits weren't great.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    No wonder why this song never made it to the top 20. They should have released the song in its entirety. If "MacArthur Park" could have made it to number two as a 7:30 single, then they certainly could have done the same with this song. Whoever did this edit should have been fired.
    Maybe one day when I have some time to kill, perhaps i'll attempt to create a single edit that I like from the stereo mix. See, I am not much familiar with the song, so I can approach it in an unbiased way.

I once created a custom edit of Stevie Wonder's "Living For The City" that takes out only the talking part for someone. He hated that part, so I helped him out. I kept a copy of it. of course.

I listened to Roverabs song....................good God.........now that is one BAD edit. Butchering is an appropriate word.

Of all Diana's songs that did not make it, this is the one that should have been a hit.

If I were a revisionist, I guess I'd fault Motown for not properly promoting it or I'd say they were trying to saboutage her career............she already used that line on Berry and Nile didn't she!

An equally bad edit is the single version of the 4 Tops A Simple Game, with a huge WOW sound before the final doo doo doo's

Diana's edit during the first piano solo sounded like a skip on the record when I first bought it. If the second piano would have been edited the same way it would have made better continuity in the record.

Reach Out I'll Be There single edit by Diana has got to be the worst edit to date. I remember buying this twice thinking mine was terribly scratched.