[REMOVE ADS]

I'm PISSED at Facebook!! [[Plus a Couple of Other Minor Rants)

What idiocy! First, they told me my password was wrong and that I had to change it! After I did that, they BANNED me from sending friend requests for seven days for sending requests to people I don't know personally!

EXCUSE ME? Some of the people I sent friend requests to were people THEY RECOMMENDED!! And if they accept, what the hell is the problem here? There are other people whom I've requested that are models [[they almost always accept because they WANT people to look at their pics) and fellow record collectors [[if your profile pic is that of a rare record, that basically screams "ADD ME!" as far as I'm concerned).

This is just adding to the list of headaches that have befallen me over the past couple of days on what I thought would be a great four-day weekend [[my birthday is tomorrow--we get that off through my office union, and I took today off so I could stay out late Sunday. There's no karaoke around here on Monday night, and that was what I wanted to do all weekend). I had my camera with me, but only got FIVE PICS this weekend, and a couple of 'em aren't very good [[that's what happens when you ask someone who doesn't have digital camera experience to take your pic...LOL), and my camera ran out of memory when I tried to have a video taken of me singing karaoke [[I have a few on FB, but NONE on my own page). And Sunday morning when I was eating breakfast, a tooth broke...it doesn't hurt, but I am annoyed by it.

I'm sorry, but I just had to vent at all this crap...hopefully, I can do something FUN sometime today or tomorrow...finding a rare record would be the bomb, but that's like pissing in the wind around here. Take care and thanks for reading.

Best,

Mark

Hope it gets better Mark and Happy Birthday.

Mark, I've had 2 deaths this week: my nephew aged 48 who had a massive heart attack and my sister aged, 79 from cancer. Count yourself lucky.

I'm sorry for your losses, Nosey, and I do consider myself lucky...it's just that I let a lot of crap get me down.

Your nephew is my age...or at least the age I'm turning tomorrow. I had four people I grew up with, who weren't that much older than me, pass away in the span of four months. That really, REALLY gets me depressed and thinking about my own mortality. I'm sure it would for anyone else as well.

Best,

Mark

Mark, just don't sweat the small stuff. Life is too, too precious to worry about some Facebook nonsense. Happy Birthday to you and many, many more, my cyber friend.

happy birthday Mr Speck and many more!
    Stephanie

Getting back to the Facebook topic, there was just a news segment on TODAY showing that many job interviewers are asking for Facebook passwords of interviewees so that they can get a better understanding of the prospective new employee.

First, if this isn't illegal, it should be. Second, would anyone here give up their Facebook password just to get a job?
    If so, how 'bout your medical files, the key to your house, your bank statements, pulling back the sheets for someone who wants to investigate your sex life. Privacy is gone !!!!
    Last edited by milven; 03-27-2012 at 10:20 AM.

You should never ever give out your pswrd!

Facebook, Senators and Others Join the Fight to Help Keep Facebook Passwords Private

MARCH 26, 2012
    in INTERNET SAFETY & PRIVACY

We have written numerous articles in the past about potential employers and university admissions offices requiring applicants to divulge their Facebook passwords during the application process.
    The last week or so has seen this issue receive a firestorm of media attention. Even Facebook itself weighed in on Friday with a blog postby its Chief Privacy Officer, Erin Egan.
    Facebook’s position is that users should never have to share their passwords. It is actually a violation of their Statement of Rights and Responsibilities “to share or solicit a Facebook password.”
    The post goes on to briefly explain the legal issues a potential employer may face by requesting this access. There is also the issue of violating the privacy of the friends of the potential applicant. As a user, you might be ok with ‘Tom’ seeing your private Facebook information, photos, etc., but would you want an unknown human resource manager having this same access? Of course not!
    Erin Egan ends the post by stating, “Facebook takes your privacy seriously. We’ll take action to protect the privacy and security of our users, whether by engaging policymakers or, where appropriate, by initiating legal action, including by shutting down applications that abuse their privileges.”
    Over the weekend, several articles were written about the possibility of Facebook pursuing legal action against offending employers. According to Mashable, Facebook released a follow-up statement clarifying their position, “We don’t think employers should be asking prospective employees to provide their passwords because we don’t think it’s right the thing to do. While we do not have any immediate plans to take legal action against any specific employers, we look forward to engaging with policy makers and other stakeholders, to help better safeguard the privacy of our users.”
    Even two U.S.Senators have joined in the fray. Epic reports the senators are asking the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Department of Justice to investigate the legality of employers requiring Facebook login credentials. The Senators aptly pointed out that employers could be privy to information they are not permitted to ask during the hiring process. This fact could, in fact, cause the employer to violate the Civil Rights Act and other federal laws.
    Maryland and Illinois have legislation proposed that would make it unlawful for public agencies to request social media login information.
    It will be interesting to see how this pivotal privacy issue plays out.

Recommended Resources

BitDefender Safego is a Facebook application you can install that will scan your News Feed and help keep you safe from scams like this.
    PRIVATE WiFi® is a Personal VPN that encrypts everything you send and receive. Don’t access Facebook from a public WiFi hotspot without it.
    Do Not Track + is a FREE browser plugin created by Abine. This easy to install plugin keeps websites from tracking you. If you value your online privacy, then you should definitely take advantage of this free product.

You may also like -

Which Celebrity was born on the same Day as you? - Facebook Scam
    Whats your Birthday Color! - Facebook Scam
    An Open Letter to Facebook and Online Petition Regarding Sick Baby Photo Hoaxes
    Receive 4 Free Tickets to Cedar Point [[Limited Time Only) - Scam Alert
    hey, do you remember this photo? - Facebook Phishing Scam

Stephanie...it's just MARK, OK...you don't have to use 'Mr.' with me!!

Best,

Mark

smark21 Guest
    If a prospective employer were to ask me to give them my Facebook password, I would tell them if I gave you my password what would stop me from giving out my password at work to your firm’s competitors?