[REMOVE ADS]

Question 1983: What were YOU listening to that year?

In my opinion, the 80s were not kind to R&B music overall. That decade is usually thought of as the year of new wave: totally bitchin', Valley-speak, like, grody to the max! Word up, MC! But, while there was some great R&B in that decade, not to mention some of the heaviest funk of our time, it seems the majority of it came out before 1983. 1983 was a pivotal year in music. MTV, and music videos became the way a generation listened to music, the second wave of the Brits invaded the U.S. shores, "hair metal" was gaining popularity, veteran R&B artists were still reeling from the fallout of the disco backlash, and, hip-hop had become the new music of the urban youth, even though the mainstream R&B world was not yet ready to adopt the new sounds. The reggae world was stunned by the death of Bob Marley. As a result, a lot of R&B was "watered down" in the effort to gain mainstream commercial success. Even jazz artists felt the pressure to go more mainstream.

So, as R&B fans, what were you listening to in 1983?

I like all kinds of music, so I listened to, and bought a LOT of music that year from almost all genres. I bought almost 70 albums and over 100 45s, and even a few pre-recorded cassettes. I taped hundreds of my own!

I used to cash my check and head straight to the record store back then. I'd buy anywhere between two and six albums. Sometimes there was a big release, but many times back then, if there wasn't, I'd take a chance on second-hand albums by groups that I never heard of before.

Some of my favorite records were found this way. Campus second-hand record shops were my favorite place to hang out. I learned to take chances on anything that Leon "Ndugu" Chancler and Reggie Andrews produced. They had an album by a group called "Kiddo" that I thought was an undiscovered gem that year. Now, 30 years later, I'm digitizing many of those old LPs myself because a lot of it was too obscure to find on CD.

Looking at the top 10 for that year, the first song that stands out is "Atomic Dog". I remember putting it on a mix tape and driving around in my '76 AMC Hornet with by two best friends. At some point, it seemed like we were singing it almost instinctively together without talking about it. It grew on us in a sneaky, freaky way. About two or three weeks later, it jumped onto the radio and became a hit, but we were on it well before.

Another song was "Save the Overtime For Me", which is the last hit I recall from Gladys Knight & the Pips. I sometimes still think about that song for no real reason and I can't get the bass line out of my head once I do.

Jerry, I used to do the same thing. I'd but my paycheck in the bank and keep some for food and records. And, I was in college.

That spring and early summer was nice, wasn't it? "Atomic Dog", "Save The Overtime", Communication Breakdown" by Junior, "Inside Love [[So Personal)" by George Benson, among tons of others that year. But, it just wasn't as great as 1982 for R&B.

I listened to quite a bit of jazz that year, and all of the Brit-pop. And, I loved Missing person's "Spring Session M" that a friend introduced me to.

I was very young back then but I loved Irene Cara,Hi Gloss,Randy Crawford and Abba "The Visitors" LP...

"Save The Over Time for Me" by Gladys Knight & the Pips for one!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  21.1 KB
    In The 1980s, I was mostly listening to the same '40, 50s and 60s music I was listening to during the '50s, 60s and '70s. Except, I also was listening to the Soul music we produced at Airwave Records [[mostly dance club music-post Disco,- but, we also produced some Soul ballads, some novelty cuts and even a reggae record). But, that was all way too modern sounding for me. I still preferred to stay in the '60s [[at latest). The last two records I bought new were "Right Back Where We Started From" by Maxine Nightengale [[1976) and "I'm Doing Fine Now" by New York City [[1974), and had only bought a handful of new records during the 1970s, while buying probably 30,000+ '60s 45s and over a 1,000 albums during the '60s when they were out.

I've also been listening to '40s-'60s music during the 2000's and 2010s. I've been able to hear a lot of rare songs I missed out on when they were recorded, as they didn't get onto the radio ANYWHERE, and were not produced near me [[I was not lucky enough to find them during my record-hunting days). Now, with You-Tube, and companies like Ace/Kent and the like, and digital downloads, I can enjoy them. I've heard little [[other than some Jazz) that I've liked, that has been recorded since 1972.

I know I am an "old fogey".

There was another British Invasion happening around that time, thank goodness. It brought some interesting groups and records, and I liked a lot of it. I was enjoying Joe Jackson, Howard Jones, Naked Eyes, Spandau Ballet, Ah Ha, Tears For Fears, Thompson Twins. Lionel Ritchie's Can't Slow Down album for all the hits. Yeah, Thriller... even though it didnt hold up for me and I can't listen to it now.

I admit to being an MTV junkie back then...when my brother got cable at the half duplex he was renting, we'd stay up late into the night looking for good videos like Elvis Costello or the Specials amid the dross like Duran Duran or Billy Idol.

I was [[and still am) into a lot of the New Wave stuff that made the rounds then, as well as regular Top 40 stuff, some soul stuff [[naturally!) and country...kinda like where my head has always been!!

Best,

Mark

I remember going with a cousin to his girlfriend's house and they were going absolutely nuts over "Beat It". To be honest, that was probably my fifth favorite song from "Thriller", but they must have had better pop sensibilities than I because it wasn't long before that song broke in a major way. I still think that the rock groove in it is a little plastic and over produced, even though Eddie Van Halen's solo made the song. They should have stretched the solo out to at least a minute, in my opinion. The choreography made the video.

With that being said, you won't find too many people who appreciate Rod Temperton than me, so the marriage of my favorite songwriter with Quincy Jones was fantastic. They also produced good songs for the Brothers Johnson and Rufus, to say the least some of my favorite songs on Q's albums from that time period. IMHO, Rod Temperton is the one person who reflects the best of the '80s to me by far and I wish he was still productive.

I didn't get MTV until the beginning of 1984. before then, I watched videos on the USA Channel's "Night Tracks", BET, and other music video programming blocks. That started in 1983.

In '83 I escaped Cincinnati, moved back to Chicago the week that Harold Washington became the first black mayor of Chicago. P-Funk played one of their last major gigs at the UIC pavillion with the Bar-Keys a few days later. Larry Dobson sent the crowd into an eruption of cheers when got on stage and said, "I heard Chicago has a black man for a mayor."

I started going to my first Blues jams and met Lefty Dizz, Willie Kent, Buddy Guy and many other long-time members of the Chicago school. But the jams I was listening to on my Walkman II had very little to do with The Blues:

The Walk, 777-9311 - The Time
    DSMR, How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore - Prince
    Ain't Nobody - Rufus
    Atomic Dog [[of course) - GC
    Rockit - Herbie Hancock
    All This Love - DeBarge
    Miss Me Blind - Culture Club
    It's Like That - Run DMC
    You Are In My System - The System
    Candy Girl - New Edition
    Mornin' - Al Jarreau
    Angel - Anita Baker
    Between The Sheets Isley Bros.
    Thriller [[LP) - of course, again - Michael Jackson

...and from the boys I'd left behind in Cincy/Dayton

Raid, Real Love - Lakeside
    Slow Jam - Midnight Star
    Body Talk - The Deele
    I Can Make You Dance - Zapp
    Body Slam - Bootsy

All good stuff. My, it's been a long time

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post

Ain't Nobody - Rufus
    Rockit - Herbie Hancock
    All This Love - DeBarge
    It's Like That - Run DMC
    Candy Girl - New Edition
    Mornin' - Al Jarreau
    Aw you nailed a lot of the R&B side of 1983 for me!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Jerry, I used to do the same thing. I'd but my paycheck in the bank and keep some for food and records. And, I was in college.

That spring and early summer was nice, wasn't it? "Atomic Dog", "Save The Overtime", Communication Breakdown" by Junior, "Inside Love [[So Personal)" by George Benson, among tons of others that year. But, it just wasn't as great as 1982 for R&B.

I listened to quite a bit of jazz that year, and all of the Brit-pop. And, I loved Missing person's "Spring Session M" that a friend introduced me to.
    Just recently rediscovered Missing Persons Spring Session M album. Great pop/rock music. Lead singer Dale Bozzio was the prototype for singers like Gwen Stefani and Lady Gaga. And the musicians were all solid…they hailed from Frank Zappa’s band. Drummer Terry Bozzio and guitarist Warren Cuccurullo were standouts.

smark21 Guest
    Another good album from 83 on the pop side: Rio by Duran Duran. Not a bad song on there [[though one must have patience for some of the lyrics, lol).

smark21 Guest

Ok, now I am going to try to do this without reading everyone else's responses first and without doing any sort of reseach. This is going to be all of pure memory, hehehehehehe! Ok, so I remember listening to:

"Rock It"- Herbie Hancock

"Cutie Pie" and "For Those Who Like to Groove" - Al Hudson & One Way

"Angel" - Anita Baker

"Every Breath You Take" - The Police

"Beat It" - Michael Jackson

"Just An Illusion" - can't remember the name of the group]

"777-9311" - The Time [[may have came out in late '82)

"Get It Right" - Aretha Franklin

"Running With the Night" - Lionel Richie

"Ain't Nobody" - Rufus featuring Chaka Khan

"If Only You Knew" - Patti Labelle

"Tonight I Celebrate My Love " - Roberta Flack & Peobo Bryson
    Last edited by marv2; 03-26-2012 at 09:43 PM.

You got a few new ones in there, marv2

For Those Who Like to Groove was Ray Parker jr. and that track dropped in 1980.

chidrummer, my bad. This is what I was trying to remember, "Mr. Groove" by One Way. It was out in 1984, I couldn't remember but it was a JAM!

Marv, "Just an Illusion" was done by Brit pop/soul outfit Imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Marv, "Just an Illusion" was done by Brit pop/soul outfit Imagination.
    Thanks Jerry. I remember now. Their lead singer was Leee Johns, right?

That is correct.

I don't remember 1983 after May 30th when my niece was killed as I was sooo traumatized. Also, my children were young and I was too busy with them to remember much of early 80s music.

Sorry to hear that, Nosey.

In '83 I escaped Cincinnati, moved back to Chicago the week that Harold Washington became the first black mayor of Chicago. P-Funk played one of their last major gigs at the UIC pavillion with the Bar-Keys a few days later. Larry Dobson sent the crowd into an eruption of cheers when got on stage and said, "I heard Chicago has a black man for a mayor."

I started going to my first Blues jams and met Lefty Dizz, Willie Kent, Buddy Guy and many other long-time members of the Chicago school. But the jams I was listening to on my Walkman II had very little to do with The Blues:

The Walk, 777-9311 - The Time
    Ain't Nobody - Rufus
    Rockit - Herbie Hancock
    All This Love - DeBarge
    It's Like That - Run DMC
    Candy Girl - New Edition
    Mornin' - Al Jarreau
    Angel - Anita Baker
    Between The Sheets Isley Bros.
    Thriller [[LP) - of course, again - Michael Jackson

...and from the boys I'd left behind in Cincy/Dayton

Raid, Real Love - Lakeside
    Slow Jam - Midnight Star
    Body Talk - The Deele
    I Can Make You Dance - Zapp
    Body Slam - Bootsy

All good stuff. My, it's been a long time
    I can pretty much co-sign with airthang on this list, as well as Urban Dancefloor Guerillas by the P-Funk All Stars, and Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners.

What I remember most is one of my all time favorites...."Angel", by Anita Baker.

Looking at Chidrummer's list, the thing that jumps out to me is The Time. "What Time Is It" only had six songs but it was probably my favorite album of the decade, and that's saying a lot. I would love to see a well produced biopic about them, especially to see how they took their musical control from Prince and forged their own identity. I remember watching Jesse Johnson on "Video Soul" telling Donnie Simpson how hard Morris Day took it when Prince fired Jam & Lewis, disappearing for weeks with no contact with the group. I find the interaction and dynamics of music bands to be very interesting [[especially after reading about the Temps and learning more about each singer) and I'd like to see or read as much about the Time as I can find.

Looking at Chidrummer's list, the thing that jumps out to me is The Time. "What Time Is It" only had six songs but it was probably my favorite album of the decade, and that's saying a lot.
    It is high up on my list as one of the best albums of the 80s. I would go as far to say that it beats any album Prince ever released, and he produced it!

It is high up on my list as one of the best albums of the 80s. I would go as far to say that it beats any album Prince ever released, and he produced it!
    Uh uh. That wasn't Prince, that was his alter ego "Jamie Starr" who produced it.

Jesse Johnson also said that the time was so popular after that album that Prince would meet them backstage before shows in LA and New York to tell them that they weren't performing that night because he thought they would rock the crowd too much and his show would be more or less a buzzkill. That's saying a whole lot.

My wife's nagging!!

Uh uh. That wasn't Prince, that was his alter ego "Jamie Starr" who produced it.
    Prince is so egotistical that he battled with himself! LOL!

Yeah Atomic Dog was cool but I prefer the rap vers called vers called DOG TALK

You got a few new ones in there, marv2

For Those Who Like to Groove was Ray Parker jr. and that track dropped in 1980.
    Str8 jacking Funkadelic's One Nation UNder A Groove. But it was cool.
    Yeah it came out in 80, but there's no reason he couldn't listen to it in 83

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    Str8 jacking Funkadelic's One Nation UNder A Groove. But it was cool.
    Yeah it came out in 80, but there's no reason he couldn't listen to it in 83
    "One Nation Under A Groove" came out in 1978.

Excellent choices P-Shark! I remember listening to all of those too!

Yes,"One Nation Under A Groove" came out in '78. I remember when a local DJ debut it on the radio. I went out and bought the album the same week! I believe P-Shark is just noting how Ray Parker Jr. "borrowed" from that record.
    Last edited by marv2; 03-29-2012 at 09:38 AM.

I know "scratching" on records was popular the year before, 1982, but weren't there a bunch of "Smurf" themed records out in '83?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Yes,"One Nation Under A Groove" came out in '78. I remember when a local DJ debut it on the radio. I went out and bought the album the same week! I believe P-Shark is just noting how Ray Parker Jr. "borrowed" from that record.
    One Nation was our unofficial theme song my junior and senior years in high school. I still remember everybody on the bus singing in unison as we headed across town.

Oh, and I thought that I was the only fan of the P-Funk All-Stars! There were three songs on that album that I liked even more than "Hydraulic Pump". "One of Those Summers" actually devolved into a psuedo-gospel song by the end that tells you that George Clinton had some undeveloped chops because he broke it down. "Accupuncture" was just silliness and a smooth groove over confusing but still suggestive lyrics [["stick where it hurts, stop and think where it feel good"). And "Generator Pop" holds up with the best of the Parliament grooves from the '70s.

We are getting away from the topic of discussion with the skewing to discussion of funk, but I will say that I am probably one of the very few people who do not really care for "One Nation Under A Groove". In fact, I always found most of Funkadelic's music on Warner Brothers pretty boring. I always preferred Parliament [[and, yes, I know they are the exact, same band, as George Clinton shaped them to be stylistically different from one another). I felt Parliament was just more over-the-top-funk, all they way back to "Osmium".

One Nation was our unofficial theme song my junior and senior years in high school. I still remember everybody on the bus singing in unison as we headed across town.

Oh, and I thought that I was the only fan of the P-Funk All-Stars! There were three songs on that album that I liked even more than "Hydraulic Pump". "One of Those Summers" actually devolved into a psuedo-gospel song by the end that tells you that George Clinton had some undeveloped chops because he broke it down. "Accupuncture" was just silliness and a smooth groove over confusing but still suggestive lyrics [["stick where it hurts, stop and think where it feel good"). And "Generator Pop" holds up with the best of the Parliament grooves from the '70s.
    Jerry! Parliament/Funkadeliac was the SOUND of my senior! LOL! They started us off with "Flashlight" and took us on out to graduation with "One Nation Under A Groove". Bootsy Collins did his part to keep the party going in between that year! hehehehehehehe.......

Thanks Marv that what I meant. Just like how a carjacker "borrows" a car
    OK Soulster this is where I play lawyer. You asked "1983: What were YOU listening to that year?" Correct? You did not specifically ask for any 1983 songs.
    Therefore any songs released in 1983 and before would be eligible! I rest my case

Ahhh sheet. I'd almost forgotten about the switch to the P-Funk All Stars. U
    DFG started off with this jam

at this point The Funk was still rollin'.

Just checked and realized that Run DMC dropped "It's Like That" in 1983. Easily one of the watershed records in popular music, two MCs rapping over a heavily reverbed drum machine and subtle scratches was unique. I remember reading about it in Billboard before it caught on nationally, running out to buy the 12-inch and being thoroughly unimpressed after playing it the first time. Of course, since I paid four dollars for it, I recorded it and listened to it as I was driving around and later found out that it was quite infectious. That was arguably the best song by Run DMC and Rick Rubin and Larry Smith changed the game by dropping out the bass and letting the rappers tag team over a sparse musical track.

Now that I thought about it, it's in my head and will stay there for the rest of the night.

We are getting away from the topic of discussion with the skewing to discussion of funk, but I will say that I am probably one of the very few people who do not really care for "One Nation Under A Groove". In fact, I always found most of Funkadelic's music on Warner Brothers pretty boring. I always preferred Parliament [[and, yes, I know they are the exact, same band, as George Clinton shaped them to be stylistically different from one another). I felt Parliament was just more over-the-top-funk, all they way back to "Osmium".
    Then you definitely need to re-listen, not hear, re-listen to all four albums. Those albums have gone down as total Funk classics. Probably the most important albums that the genre has produced. I know that you'll probably push the 'agree to disagree' button, but to describe ANY Funkadelic album as boring is indeed off base.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I was very young back then but I loved Irene Cara,Hi Gloss,Randy Crawford and Abba "The Visitors" LP...
    I love ABBA, as well as their final LP, "The Visitors". A Deluxe Edition is being released later this month...

This was later in 1982, and carried over into 1983.... but as far as R&B in 1983, this was one of my favorites:

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    This was later in 1982, and carried over into 1983.... but as far as R&B in 1983, this was one of my favorites:

That was a good one.....very popular.

I am still trying to remember who made those "Smurf" records that were so popular in '83?

I am still trying to remember who made those "Smurf" records that were so popular in '83?
    Here's Tyrone Brunson's version:

And although one wouldn't expect this song to suit her.... one of the biggest hits of 1983 sung by a soul legend, and she does an AWESOME job with it:

Thank you Jerry !!! I have a lot of memories now of that record. There was even a dance to go along with it.

That song is a uniquely early '80s jam. Don't forget Brunson's "Sticky Situation", either. Some of the worst singing ever on vinyl but perfect for the cut and the era. I mean, somebody in the band should have had a better voice than that. And I say that with nothing but love in my heart.