[REMOVE ADS]

Sister Sledge --Love Dont You Go Through No Changes on Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_taR4cZNB8 One of my all time fave songs--should have been a smash. I think it must have been bigger in some parts of the country. Try not moving to this! What is Kathy about 15?!

It was a pretty big song for them in Detroit-Windsor-Toledo area. It is one of my favorites by them as well. They sounded a lot older than they were at the time.

Definitely got some decent airplay in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_taR4cZNB8 One of my all time fave songs--should have been a smash. I think it must have been bigger in some parts of the country. Try not moving to this! What is Kathy about 15?!
    Let's see, I was 14 so Kathy was 16. They tried to make her look like she was younger ala Michael Jackson who I also thought was my age when they came out.

For my money, that debut album and the follow-up were their best material ever. Once they hit it big with the We Are Family album, I didn't like their material nearly as much, with just an exception or two here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    For my money, that debut album and the follow-up were their best material ever. Once they hit it big with the We Are Family album, I didn't like their material nearly as much, with just an exception or two here and there.
    I have to agree with you. They were very soulful, very R&B, but then Disco took over along with Chic and their sound got watered down.

This track was a big UK NS play right from when it was 1st released.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    This track was a big UK NS play right from when it was 1st released.
    There was a thread on here some years back about the song's British NS success and people were claiming that copies of the original U.K. 45 on Atlantic were swapping hands at £100 [[that is over US$150 for those in North America).

Saleswise it was very much a "slow burner" at the time as I recall, and never made the best selling charts .. but it did spur U.K. Atlantic into reissuing their mini-hit from the year before .. "Mama Never Told Me" .. which eventually made the U.K. Top 20 in the summer of 1975.

Funnily, it must be at least 30 years since I last heard "Mama Never Told Me" on British radio, but "Love Don't Go Through No Changes On Me" still gets the occasional spin.

Has the "Circle Of Love" LP, which included "Love Don't Go Through No Changes On Me", ever come out on CD? I have it on vinyl and there are some great tracks on it .. "Circle Of Love" and "Pain Reliever" in particular are favourites of mine.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I know that there was a time when the We Are Family album totally saturated the radio and sporting events, which may have made people very tired of hearing the song. But I still consider that album to be one of their best.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    There was a thread on here some years back about the song's British NS success and people were claiming that copies of the original U.K. 45 on Atlantic were swapping hands at £100 [[that is over US$150 for those in North America).

Saleswise it was very much a "slow burner" at the time as I recall, and never made the best selling charts .. but it did spur U.K. Atlantic into reissuing their mini-hit from the year before .. "Mama Never Told Me" .. which eventually made the U.K. Top 20 in the summer of 1975.

Funnily, it must be at least 30 years since I last heard "Mama Never Told Me" on British radio, but "Love Don't Go Through No Changes On Me" still gets the occasional spin.

Has the "Circle Of Love" LP, which included "Love Don't Go Through No Changes On Me", ever come out on CD? I have it on vinyl and there are some great tracks on it .. "Circle Of Love" and "Pain Reliever" in particular are favourites of mine.

Roger
    Caught In The Middle is also quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Caught In The Middle is also quite impressive.
    Timmyfunk .. do you mean "Caught In The Middle of a Circle of Love"?

Roger

I remember this Soul Train clip so well, which brings back so many memories. As this song was a smash in Japan as well, they were invited and promoted like a new girl group from Philly on TV and radio shows while the Three Degrees enjoyed a great success there. Kathy was so amazingly mature singer already at that time, which still blows my mind by the clips like this. But I have to agree with some posters here that their pre-Chic materials were more soulful though I enjoyed their disco songs as well, and I still wonder why this one did not do well in US. I guess Kathy's vocal style and this song was probably too mature for their visual image, which was nothing but young cute innocent inmature teenage girlish one. The Japanese record company was clever? enough to title this song "Big strategy to get a first boyfriend" in where most of people did not understand English, LOL.
    Name:  SisterSledge Love don't you go through.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  68.9 KB
    Name:  SisterSledge Love don't you go through Album.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  9.1 KB

Timmyfunk .. do you mean "Caught In The Middle of a Circle of Love"?

Roger
    If that's the entire title, then yep.

i used to see these girls in Right On magazine all of the time and I thought they were just another girl group. I never thought they would have the success that they did with Chic. I also remember liking their earlier material more so than their hits but I love Reach your Peak and American Girls. That first album with We are Family was their swan song though the ONE song I wished they had put out was Good Girl that was the jam! Who did the lead on that it was only one sister singing. Frankie was total junk Im shocked that song made it as high on the charts as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    If that's the entire title, then yep.
    Actually those are the lyrics Timmyfunk .. The full title in "Circle of Love [[Caught in the Middle)" .. the song was written by PATRICK ADAMS and FAYE HAUSER .. just about anything with Patrick's name on is worth a listen IMHO ..

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    i used to see these girls in Right On magazine all of the time and I thought they were just another girl group. I never thought they would have the success that they did with Chic. I also remember liking their earlier material more so than their hits but I love Reach your Peak and American Girls. That first album with We are Family was their swan song though the ONE song I wished they had put out was Good Girl that was the jam! Who did the lead on that it was only one sister singing. Frankie was total junk Im shocked that song made it as high on the charts as it did.
    Joni Sledge sang the lead on "I'm A Good Girl". That was a great ballad. "Frankie" was very different and did nothing on the charts here in the US. It was a huge hit overseas. Even the video was corny.

got a copy of this at a record fair in L.A. on a NORTHERN SOUL TRIP from the U.K. only cost me about $8-$10 still playing it now 12 years later at NORTHERN SOUL nights in the U.K......great song and video........

Roger
    "Circle of Love" and "Together", their first two releases are now available on cd.

One of my favorite songs from their debut album was this Tom Bell/Linda Creed penned "Give In To Love" lead by Debbie Sledge

I have this also by Ronnie Dyson and Dee Dee Bridgewater [[who pops up on French TV from time to time).

Wonderful song.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I have this also by Ronnie Dyson and Dee Dee Bridgewater [[who pops up on French TV from time to time).

Wonderful song.
    Never heard Dee Dee Bridgewater's version but I'm going to search for it. Ronnie Dyson did a great cover of the song

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I have to agree with you. They were very soulful, very R&B, but then Disco took over along with Chic and their sound got watered down.
    I have to agree, more soulful and carefree

Sister Sledge's "Love Don't You Go Through No Changes On Me" is/was a great component of the Philly Soul Sound. Should have been a huge hit, as should their "Mama Never Told Me" [[Tom Moulton Mix).

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    "Circle of Love" and "Together", their first two releases are now available on cd.
    To Glencro and Roger: Sister Sledge's "Circle Of Love" has been issued on CD at least twice -- the most recent being the "Special 40th Anniversary Edition" on BBR [[Big Break Records) released February 2016 which contains not only the "Circle Of Love" album, but also several bonus tracks including an entire previously-unreleased Philly Soul album as well as the Tom Moulton Mix of "Mama Never Told Me. IMO, the unreleased Philly Soul album is every bit as good as "Circle Of Love". Why it stayed in the can all of these years is a mystery to me.

See 20-track song list inside:

https://www.amazon.com/Circle-Love-S...cle+of+love+cd

- Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-22-2016 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    To Glencro and Roger: Sister Sledge's "Circle Of Love" has been issued on CD at least twice -- the most recent being the "Special 40th Anniversary Edition" on BBR [[Big Break Records) released February 2016 which contains not only the "Circle Of Love" album, but also several bonus tracks including an entire previously-unreleased Philly Soul album as well as the Tom Moulton Mix of "Mama Never Told Me. IMO, the unreleased Philly Soul album is every bit as good as "Circle Of Love". Why it stayed in the can all of these years is a mystery to me.

See 20-track song list inside:

https://www.amazon.com/Circle-Love-S...cle+of+love+cd

- Gary
    Thank you Phillie/Motown Gary. A great purchase and I agree some great unreleased material. Really impressed with the "Neither One of Us" remake. Kathy has to be barely in her teens on that and is belting her lil heart out.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Thank you Phillie/Motown Gary. A great purchase and I agree some great unreleased material. Really impressed with the "Neither One of Us" remake. Kathy has to be barely in her teens on that and is belting her lil heart out.
    You're very welcome, glencro. And you're right -- Kathy and her young sisters not only sang their young hearts out, they harmonized with vocal qualities equivalent to....or, in some cases, better than....grown women twice their age. Sister Sledge deserved to remain at the top for a lot longer than they were. - Gary